Suggestions for hard side spinner luggage

Victory!

2 minutes ago, Underwatr said:

You must not have to pack a tuxedo for multiple formal nights.

One of the reasons that many of us have ditched the "we want to play dress up like we're rich folk" mass market cruise lines in favor of the smaller ships with their casual elegance, more interesting ports, and overall better experiences.

That said, if my husband needed a tux, he'd just rent it.  It's easier than hauling one around.

• Like 1

21 hours ago, Underwatr said:

IME if you (as a couple) have more than two full-size suitcases, having spinners among them is very helpful in any situation where you must queue with all of your luggage - immigration and airport check-in among those situations.

To date I had resisted spinners for the reasons given in this thread, but disembarkation from our last transatlantic crossing was just too much hassle without them. 

Why in good lord's name would you require that many suitcases?  Even on 3-week adventures in Winter (including the very high-end St. Moritz and work at 2 bobsled tracks, which require heavy winter boots, work parkas, insulated pants ), I've never needed more than 1 suitcase.   I'm not a slob and am always dressed appropriately for the venue.   As I have gotten older, I value the ability to handle my luggage easily.  More than 1 suitcase is just not feasible when you use multiple modes of transportation.  I couldn't imagine having to trudge 2 suitcases, regardless of wheel type... 

13 minutes ago, slidergirl said:

Why in good lord's name would you require that many suitcases?  Even on 3-week adventures in Winter (including the very high-end St. Moritz and work at 2 bobsled tracks, which require heavy winter boots, work parkas, insulated pants ), I've never needed more than 1 suitcase.   I'm not a slob and am always dressed appropriately for the venue.   As I have gotten older, I value the ability to handle my luggage easily.  More than 1 suitcase is just not feasible when you use multiple modes of transportation.  I couldn't imagine having to trudge 2 suitcases, regardless of wheel type... 

I'm amused that you're so concerned for me.

51 minutes ago, Underwatr said:

You must not have to pack a tuxedo for multiple formal nights.

I believe that, unless you are cruising on Cunard, no one is required go pack a tuxedo for multiple formal nights any more.  

I get to see sooooo much luggage every da*n day.  How people pack and load stuff just astounds me.  A properly packed roller bag shouldn't fall over.  People have all sorts of stuff tied onto the handles - one yesterday had hiking boots and two tote bags tied on - made that carryon really hard to try to move without having things hit me.  

We had 2 ladies check in on Saturday night here for a week - 4 LARGE HEAVY hard-shell suitcases, and 2 22" bags.  I'm not sure what they are going to dress for up here in casual-always land.  Maybe 3 of those suitcases had all the wine that they've been drinking...

If anyone wants to "test drive" luggage before buying, let me know and I'll hire you as a bell person for a day 😉

1 hour ago, cruisemom42 said:

I guess you had me at a couple traveling with more than two full-size suitcases...

I just don't pack that way. Even on my longest trips, I can pack in a 24-25" suitcase and one small carry-on of the type that fits under an airline seat (and handily sits atop my larger bag when I have to tote them).

Some of us travel for work.  So have to have work clothes and casual clothes.  And sometimes in varying climates.

One recent trip I was at a place that hit 49C (120F) and the next week, when highs were in the teens C (60sF).  Another trip, I went from 35C to -30C in one day.

And many places, unless I want to pay hotel restaurant prices for every dinner, I carry evening snacks.

You try to pack for those trips in one small suitcase.

Just now, slidergirl said:

I believe that, unless you are cruising on Cunard, no one is required go pack a tuxedo for multiple formal nights any more.

Bingo.

Are you going to criticize my having chosen Cunard now?

Just now, slidergirl said:

We had 2 ladies check in on Saturday night here for a week - 4 LARGE HEAVY hard-shell suitcases, and 2 22" bags.  I'm not sure what they are going to dress for up here in casual-always land.  Maybe 3 of those suitcases had all the wine that they've been drinking...

How do you know that their trip was only one week long?

I have checked into a hotel for overnight with two checked and two carry on bags.  But that was one night of 3 weeks traveling.

Just now, Underwatr said:

Bingo.

Are you going to criticize my having chosen Cunard now?

Lighten up.  I'm not criticizing your choice.  Jeez.  OK.  So you cruise Cunard.  That's why the tux - that's what I said.  

I remember people in PA being much less sensitive when I grew up there...  

• Like 2

1 minute ago, SRF said:

How do you know that their trip was only one week long?

I have checked into a hotel for overnight with two checked and two carry on bags.  But that was one night of 3 weeks traveling.

I spoke to them when I checked them in.  Here for a week for their vacation, they are thinking of buying a condo in the area.  Yes, I engage in conversation with guests at check in.  It helps to learn a little about them, to mine some "gold nuggets" we can use to suggest activities or do something special for them.  

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, slidergirl said:

Why in good lord's name would you require that many suitcases?  

I think this is where you began escalating.

I have a suitcase. My wife has a suitcase. The formal wear including DW's long and silky dresses that she doesn't want to risk crushing go into a Samsonite rolling hanging bag. That's three suitcases between the two of us. For  23 days that's not all that much. I only brought two tuxedo shirts and used the ships laundry a couple of times to make them bridge the eight formal nights on the crossings to and from Hamburg.

Anyway, when you have three, spinner bags are easier in the immigration queue.

Edited by Underwatr
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

8 minutes ago, Underwatr said:

I have a suitcase. My wife has a suitcase. The formal wear including DW's long and silky dresses that she doesn't want to risk crushing go into a Samsonite rolling hanging bag. That's three suitcases between the two of us. For  23 days that's not all that much. I only brought two tuxedo shirts and used the ships laundry a couple of times to make them bridge the eight formal nights on the crossings to and from Hamburg.

I didn't say anything that another poster said.   

For many of us, that's too much, as I said even if I do 3 week Winter vacations.   But, to each his own - go for it.   

57 minutes ago, SRF said:

Some of us travel for work.  So have to have work clothes and casual clothes.  And sometimes in varying climates.

One recent trip I was at a place that hit 49C (120F) and the next week, when highs were in the teens C (60sF).  Another trip, I went from 35C to -30C in one day.

And many places, unless I want to pay hotel restaurant prices for every dinner, I carry evening snacks.

No problem.  I went to LA for work meetings which required closed toe shoes, in early May (40's at night), onward to French Polynesia for 10 days including a cruise (90's during the day), back to LA for a few more days, and then home.  in a 20" rolling bag and a small personal item.

If I want snacks, I stop at the grocery store when I arrive.  I always carry an emergency granola bar and a couple of my preferred type of tea, but otherwise, unless I'm going to Pripyat or similar, I'll buy it there.

Edited by ducklite
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, SRF said:

I also travel for work. And pleasure. Sometimes together. Once I went from a two-week Mediterranean cruise, where the temperatures on the day I boarded were 100 degrees F in Athens, to a short stay at a Greek resort following the cruise, to 5 days at the Frankfurt Book Fair (in mid-late October weather in Germany) where I had to wear true professional kit, not just "business casual".  I managed it.

I never travel with food other than a few emergency protein bars. I enjoy eating out and if I need snacks for some reason, I'd buy something locally.

• Like 1

After years of travelling we have fine tuned our travelling needs so that packing is probably considered to be on the lighter side compared to many. You soon realise that it is easier to pack lighter, have clothes that can be worn for multiple occasions and have things washed more often while away rather than having an outfit for every single occasion.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, MicCanberra said:

After years of travelling we have fine tuned our travelling needs so that packing is probably considered to be on the lighter side compared to many. You soon realise that it is easier to pack lighter, have clothes that can be worn for multiple occasions and have things washed more often while away rather than having an outfit for every single occasion.

Absolutely.  I pretty much need the same amount of clothes for a week or a month.  What takes up the most room really is HABAs (health and beauty aids).  But I have travel size jars and bottles that I can use when travel.  Love The Dollar Store 🙂

1 hour ago, clo said:

Absolutely.  I pretty much need the same amount of clothes for a week or a month.  What takes up the most room really is HABAs (health and beauty aids).  But I have travel size jars and bottles that I can use when travel.  Love The Dollar Store 🙂

I do not need any of that, I was either born beautiful or as others may say "It is no good trying to polish a tur?. or put lipstick on a pig."

1 minute ago, MicCanberra said:

I do not need any of that, I was either born beautiful or as others may say "It is no good trying to polish a tur?. or put lipstick on a pig."

I'm sure "born beautiful."

9 hours ago, Underwatr said:

I don't think anyone needs to justify what they pack, how much or little they pack, or how many bags they want to bring.  As long as it isn't illegal or immoral, go for it and don't worry about what others say.  

• Like 1

On 7/15/2019 at 4:40 PM, Underwatr said:

IME if you (as a couple) have more than two full-size suitcases, having spinners among them is very helpful in any situation where you must queue with all of your luggage - immigration and airport check-in among those situations.

To date I had resisted spinners for the reasons given in this thread, but disembarkation from our last transatlantic crossing was just too much hassle without them. 

We're going to Eastern Europe for 17 days this winter--COLD.  On the way over, we'll check one medium bag (24") and carry on one 20" bag and each of us will have our small personal item. We'll have appropriate clothing for the symphony and a Krampus Parade--two activites which couldn't be further removed from each other.  

We've been talking about how to pare down what we will NEED and have done a lot of "this or that" for the WANTS over the past few months.  In May 2021 we have a land based trip that involves flying between several European countries (the train is not a viable option) where we'll have extremely limited luggage allowances, and we'll be 15-18 days in a 20" rolling bag and small personal item each.  

The day I need to haul the contents of my house around with me while I travel is the day I just stay home and play with my stuff there.

6 hours ago, ldubs said:

I don't think anyone needs to justify what they pack, how much or little they pack, or how many bags they want to bring.  As long as it isn't illegal or immoral, go for it and don't worry about what others say.  

Until they can't manage it all and end up holding up lines, dropping bags on people while trying to place them in overheads (not to mention taking bags which need to be placed sideways in overheads thus preventing others from being able to use the shared space), or blocking stairs trying to haul three bags at a time up them.  Over-packers almost always impact others, thus making it the business of others.  

• Like 1

Our decision to go carry on was purely based on what we could each physically handle in any circumstance no matter where we traveled.  It was a weight issue as much as size issue.

My spouse cracked two vertabrae in Kuala Lumpur mid trip and was treated in hospital.  Back brace, prescriptions, the lot.  We were going on to Australia and New Zealand.  I had to handle both carry on  bags.   Could not have done it if it were not for the fact that we each only had a 9KG or so  carry on.   

Feel the same way when we do ferry hopping in the Greek Islands or Thailand, or when we are traveling by train in Italy or climbing up two floors to a hotel room at a family run hotel.  This is what works for us.  It probably would not for others depending on their health and how/where they travel.  You just have to do what makes sense for you. There is hardly are right way or wrong way.   It was easier for us because we gave up attending formal nights on cruises years ago.

Edited by iancal

7 hours ago, ducklite said:

We're going to Eastern Europe for 17 days this winter--COLD.  On the way over, we'll check one medium bag (24") and carry on one 20" bag and each of us will have our small personal item. We'll have appropriate clothing for the symphony and a Krampus Parade--two activites which couldn't be further removed from each other.  

We've been talking about how to pare down what we will NEED and have done a lot of "this or that" for the WANTS over the past few months.  In May 2021 we have a land based trip that involves flying between several European countries (the train is not a viable option) where we'll have extremely limited luggage allowances, and we'll be 15-18 days in a 20" rolling bag and small personal item each.  

The day I need to haul the contents of my house around with me while I travel is the day I just stay home and play with my stuff there.

Enjoy the Krampus Parade!!!   I had so much fun at the one I participated in.  Some of the "characters" were a little scary.

• Like 1