Cruise Critic Community
turtlemichael

World Cruise 2020

56 minutes ago, Capt.F said:

Attention News Flash!!! I have been in touch with management on and off today and I can confirm that I was informed in the last hour that all segments of the World Cruise will be removed from the Silversea website's list of voyages that the Family Savings will apply to. 

Well if that is the case kudos to you Capt.F, fantastic news, I owe you a large drink on board.  Now how do we get the offer removed from other voyages.  I really don't know why management can't insitigate a win/win situation.  If they set aside one of the new ships to be child free then we'd ALL have a choice.

MM

56 minutes ago, Capt.F said:

Attention News Flash!!! I have been in touch with management on and off today and I can confirm that I was informed in the last hour that all segments of the World Cruise will be removed from the Silversea website's list of voyages that the Family Savings will apply to. 

13 minutes ago, Miss Merry said:

If they set aside one of the new ships to be child free then we'd ALL have a choice.   MM

I am afraid that a new child-free ship would never sail where I want to sail.

Here's an interesting choice:

Would you prefer that Silversea made one or two ships child-free or allowed children on all ships but established a reasonable minimum age (at least one where children can be expected to control themselves and/or be controlled by parent(s)?

Thoughts? 

Given the choice I would pick a child-free ship each and every time.  The ship is my primary destination; the ports are just "gravy".

I've encountered enough children on Silversea cruises over the years, ranging from infants and toddlers to university age, and although I have found their behaviour to improve with their age, NONE of them seemed to be terribly thrilled to be there and looked as if they would have appreciated a cruise with more guests closer in age to themselves.  Personally, I would rather see NO children on a Silversea cruise; it's really not geared towards families with children.  I can, however, understand children of crew members making appearances; I've never really noticed more than a glimpse of them here and there in any case.  But I really think multi-generational families would be better served on the bigger ships, such as those on Crystal and Regent, where there is more room to accommodate children's activities without disturbing anyone, and ensuring EVERYONE has an enjoyable cruise.

I'm not looking to offend any members here with children or grandchildren, but on the off-chance that this thread comes to Silversea's attention, I'd like to add my two cents and attempt to thwart any attempts at "Royal Caribbean-ing" our cruise experience!  I have made Silversea my choice over other cruise lines for a reason.

Bechi

15 hours ago, Observer said:

I am afraid that a new child-free ship would never sail where I want to sail.

Here's an interesting choice:

Would you prefer that Silversea made one or two ships child-free or allowed children on all ships but established a reasonable minimum age (at least one where children can be expected to control themselves and/or be controlled by parent(s)?

Thoughts? 

Here are my thoughts.  Without doubt I would go for a child free ship, I've spent too many Silversea voyages over the last few years with many children on board.  For me there is no contest.  You ask about minimum age, for me as a general rule, I believe Viking has a minimum of sixteen which I would think reasonable for child free ships.  Of course you can get a beautifully behaved child like Rico's young son, I think he's around six,  but on the other hand an entitled, belligerent fourteen year old, kids come in all shapes and sizes, the problem is you never know what you're going to get until it's too late.  

MM

2 hours ago, pf778c said:

Given the choice I would pick a child-free ship each and every time.  The ship is my primary destination; the ports are just "gravy".

I've encountered enough children on Silversea cruises over the years, ranging from infants and toddlers to university age, and although I have found their behaviour to improve with their age, NONE of them seemed to be terribly thrilled to be there and looked as if they would have appreciated a cruise with more guests closer in age to themselves.  Personally, I would rather see NO children on a Silversea cruise; it's really not geared towards families with children.  I can, however, understand children of crew members making appearances; I've never really noticed more than a glimpse of them here and there in any case.  But I really think multi-generational families would be better served on the bigger ships, such as those on Crystal and Regent, where there is more room to accommodate children's activities without disturbing anyone, and ensuring EVERYONE has an enjoyable cruise.

I'm not looking to offend any members here with children or grandchildren, but on the off-chance that this thread comes to Silversea's attention, I'd like to add my two cents and attempt to thwart any attempts at "Royal Caribbean-ing" our cruise experience!  I have made Silversea my choice over other cruise lines for a reason.

Bechi

Well said, 100% agree.  

There has been a comment that Officers wouldn't like child free ships because they couldn't bring their families on board.  My experience is that the children of employees are never a problem as they have to be very well behaved on pain of death.

MM

4 hours ago, Miss Merry said:

My experience is that the children of employees are never a problem as they have to be very well behaved on pain of death.

MM

This has been my experience as well.  What's more, an infant or toddler attached to an officer can take meals in the officers' mess, where other officers will coo over their colleague's child and any outburst will not affect paying guests in the restaurants.

Changing the subject...  I know that shore excursions for the world cruise won't be available to book until 120 days before sailing, but I thought that in prior years pricing was available a month or so in advance.  I checked both silversea.com and mysilversea and neither are showing prices.  Do any past world cruisers remember when pricing was available in prior years?  

18 minutes ago, HunEBear said:

Changing the subject...  I know that shore excursions for the world cruise won't be available to book until 120 days before sailing, but I thought that in prior years pricing was available a month or so in advance.  I checked both silversea.com and mysilversea and neither are showing prices.  Do any past world cruisers remember when pricing was available in prior years?  

With my spotty memory....I think the prices only showed up when excursions were actually available for booking at 120 days prior.  We will miss sailing with you and your wonderful spouse HunE!  Hopefully we can sail along with you "in absentia" through your posts!  🙂

12 hours ago, mysty said:

With my spotty memory....I think the prices only showed up when excursions were actually available for booking at 120 days prior.  We will miss sailing with you and your wonderful spouse HunE!  Hopefully we can sail along with you "in absentia" through your posts!  🙂

Thank you, Mysty!  We will miss you, too!  We hope to see you again some time. Good luck with your move.