What’s the Deal? Sewage problems on Cloud???

Gourmet Gal

My experience is that there is a problem common to all the older ships, of a build up of sewage smells in all the public toilets in the back half of the ship on all floors, and a particular build up in the Bar. I assume that there is some design issue with odour traps. My experience is that Whisper is the worst, followed by Shadow, and that Cloud does not suffer unduly. However, as there is no opportunity to empty tanks when in Antarctica, there might be a similar build up on longer expedition cruises.

I have never experienced problems of sewage smells in the corridors with suites. Although I have twice experienced  old water water pipe breakages and floods, but the HD told me that they are common, as the constant slight movement of the ship events causes weaknesses in the joints when under high pressure. But that has nothing to do with sewage. 

We were on the Cloud for a month in April, had a great cruise, never smelled sewage--and my nose is sensitive--nor did I hear anyone complain of it. But even on a ship the size of the Cloud, you don't know what's happening everyplace. I rule nothing out, but I would have thought I would have heard someone speak of it if it was a problem.  LittleRedJohn

Indeed, the cloud is suffering from bouts of acute ageing.

Deck 7 had constant wet spots in the corridors with fans running constantly.

Air fresheners were everywhere and our hot water was a nice yellow colour.

The smell of sewage came and went in different areas of the ship but to my olfactory sense it was not a strong odour.

7 hours ago, tgh said:

Indeed, the cloud is suffering from bouts of acute ageing.

Deck 7 had constant wet spots in the corridors with fans running constantly.

Air fresheners were everywhere and our hot water was a nice yellow colour.

The smell of sewage came and went in different areas of the ship but to my olfactory sense it was not a strong odour.

Hope they find a fix before we get on later this year!

We were on the Cloud last month and as soon as I boarded I noticed a smell of sewage on Deck 5 in the corridor.  I mentioned it to the Hotel Director and he said it would be gone when we sailed.  He was correct but each time the ship stopped sailing, either docked or anchored, the smell returned.  On the day we disembarked there was some kind of extractor plugged in mid corridor.  I don’t remember what it was called but it was to alleviate the pong!

i didn’t experience a bad smell anywhere else on the ship.

We’ve not been on the Cloud but I don’t remember any sewage smells on either the Wind or Spirit.   Anybody who has cruised a bit,  and we’ve been cruising for 25 plus years, and has not experienced a sewage issue is very lucky.   Interestingly the one time we had a significant issue was on a ship that was on its sixth revenue cruise of its  inaugural year.  Point is that while older ships with older infrastructure may have occasional troubles it can happen on any ship.   Quite often it’s actually the result of a passenger disposing of something that shouldn’t go down the toilet.

• Like 1

Now and then these plumbing problems can turn out well.  Fifteen years ago, on a South America cruise aboard the Whisper, our verandah suite toilet refused to flush.  All attempts to fix it failed because they could not find the necessary replacement parts aboard the ship.  So they insisted that we had to be moved to the only vacant suite on the ship:  the portside owners suite.  The remainder of the cruise was very pleasant!

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

Very much enjoyed the Silver Cloud in the Arctic for near two weeks in late June, disembarking in early July--did not smell sewage.

In lieu (xcept on Expedition Day)  of using the jogging track outside (due to freezing weather with strong winds) on deck nine, would race walk inside (think power walk) up/down each passenger suite deck--did not get a whiff of sewage. However, as noted above, did observe  floor fans running just down from my suite  on deck 7.

• Like 2

25 minutes ago, WesW said:

Very much enjoyed the Silver Cloud in the Arctic for near two weeks in late June, disembarking in early July--did not smell sewage.

In lieu (xcept on Expedition Day)  of using the jogging track outside (due to freezing weather with strong winds) on deck nine, would race walk inside (think power walk) up/down each passenger suite deck--did not get a whiff of sewage. However, as noted above, did observe  floor fans running just down from my suite  on deck 7.

Good to see you back on the CC boards Wes.

• Like 1

Ah .... but did anyone get free strawberries as compensation A la Marella 😀

A cruise traveler from London has reported the ordeal of living in a cruise ship cabin flooded with stinking “wastewater” that smelled like sewage in a week-long journey.

Adding to the agony was the refusal of the cruise line to provide any refund for the misery endured.

According to Kass Stone from London, his family comprising wife and kids booked a cruise package of $4400 with TUI Cruises.

That brought them onboard Marella Celebration liner for a weeklong cruise. The Adriatic cruise departed from Dubrovnik on Thursday, May 23.

“My wife mentioned she smelled something and upon opening the bathroom discovered wastewater pouring out of the shower drain,” Stone told media persons.

“It was starting to spill over into the cabin,” he added.

The problem forced the family to take a public shower for the rest of the journey.  

Refund request ignored

After the trip, Stone wrote a letter to the company seeking a refund. But the request yielded no response.

“The cruise was ruined and TUI/Marella has not responded to our complaint over a month later. Is this how you treat customers?” Stone asked.

Subsequently, he shared the footage of overflowing waste as a social media post. A report by Sun said the water was “raw sewage.”

The footage was clear about the presence of ankle-deep brownish water in the cabin that kept stinking for the remainder of the stay even after the attempts at heavy cleaning.

The pictures showed water bubbling up from the shower stall.

Posts cruise cabin’s video on Facebook

The Facebook video was captioned: “Our cabin flooded with wastewater,” and was taken on May 23.

In the Facebook post, he described the ill-fated vacation as “#nightmarecruise” and a “#sewagecruise.”

Kass Stone is bitter at the unhelpful attitude and poor customer service of the cruise ship.

He noted: “No alternative accommodation offered in spite of persistent stench, wet carpet, and overall unhygienic conditions especially for two young children.”

According to Stone, despite requests, the staff of the cruise ship did not provide Stone and family a new room.

Instead, they pushed in a noise-making heater to dry up the cabin’s drenched carpets.

However, Stone admits TUI made some symbolic apologetic gestures. For him, they looked “pitiful.”

He said their gesture of sending four strawberries on a big tray was laughable and pitiful.

“You expect maybe sunburn or a hangover on holiday, but not botulism from huffing fetid sewage air. It's ridiculous,” Kass Stone said in anguish.

According to Stone, the cruise crew also offered the family a 50-pound credit for their hardship and exerted “pressure” to sign a form acknowledging the compensation. 

“We refused to accept what would have been 12.50 pounds ($62.42) per person — which would not have covered dinner for the family in one of the ship's restaurants,” Stone said.

A representative for TUI said the company is reaching out to Stone with a gesture of goodwill.

However, Stone said he is yet to get any compensation. In response to his Facebook video, TUI asked Stone to send a private message with a “booking-preference” for joining another cruise. 

• Thanks 1

• 5 months later...
On 7/14/2019 at 8:06 PM, gogo65 said:

I’ll give you feedback when I’m on her next week!

On 7/16/2019 at 12:09 PM, jpalbny said:

I'll give it a sniff in 20 days! Looking forward to it! (Well, not if it's strong and pervasive... 😉 )

Well, anything to report?