Quest Alaska so far (July) esp Hubbard

Sujormik

There are a lot more places this year as they have squeezed at least 8 more tables for 2 into each since the refurb.  Its actually quite cramped now but it does mean there are less instances of people being unable to get any bookings.

I think the big suites should be allowed unlimited pre cruise and all others 1 possibly increasing that number to 2 for discovery plus and above as a benefit perk.  

Although I can manage with the current system I dislike the pressure it puts on guests on embarkation day or the lines it leads to at the desk.  It would also stop everyone feeling they have to be in the terminal by 11/12 and would ease the boarding pressures all round.

Rabo is right but they now have cancellation penalties in play so that should help.  They could make the figure higher if the cancellation after a given time was for a booking made pre cruise.

• Like 3

I know it won’t happen but I would like to see another speciality restaurant, possibly a tepenyaki.  I’m sure there would be enough demand.  It’s finding somewhere to put one!

I would also prefer some form of provision to book in advance as has been discussed.

2 hours ago, SoBaycruiser said:

At one time I remember one of Rship lines allowed ONE night prebooking in the specialty restaurants thus allowing everyone a chance to book.  That seems fair to me and would allow people to book special occasions.  Just because someone arrives early on embarkation day should not give them the advantage.  They could open up reservations at the same time they allow check-in.  By then they should know the plans for the White night or Amazamara evening and could post that as well.  

Originally in the early days of Azamara they only allowed you to make 2 bookings with others later in the cruise if that had vacancies.

1 hour ago, Werangels said:

I know it won’t happen but I would like to see another speciality restaurant, possibly a tepenyaki.  I’m sure there would be enough demand.  It’s finding somewhere to put one!

I would also prefer some form of provision to book in advance as has been discussed.

They were going to put an Asian themed restaurant at the back of deck 9 outside Windows for the evening, but there was so much criticism here they shelved it. Thank goodness. It would have been a shame to lose that venue in the evening. 

Phil 

0BBDC647-1A95-4787-AC71-AEE86B0ACDD2.jpeg

• Like 2

26 minutes ago, Werangels said:

You are correct, finding a place to put one is the problem.

At the last refurbishment there were originally plans to convert the Sunset Deck at dinner time into a sushi bar.

Many on this board were opposed to that change.

35 minutes ago, excitedofharpenden said:

They were going to put an Asian themed restaurant at the back of deck 9 outside Windows for the evening, but there was so much criticism here they shelved it. Thank goodness. It would have been a shame to lose that venue in the evening. 

Phil 

0BBDC647-1A95-4787-AC71-AEE86B0ACDD2.jpeg

That looks fabulous but agree that to lose that outside space would be a pity.  Was converting the drawing room discussed?  That was always empty on our cruise.  I know in bad weather inside areas are needed but now there is the den......

2 minutes ago, Werangels said:

That looks fabulous but agree that to lose that outside space would be a pity.  Was converting the drawing room discussed?  That was always empty on our cruise.  I know in bad weather inside areas are needed but now there is the den......

They use the Drawing Room quite a bit that isn't noticed so much.  Apart from the Best of the Best meals each cruise, it is used for special services like wedding vow renewals and religious celebrations and group meetings. And then of course those that want to use it as a library. I don't think it would be practicable. 

Phil 

• Like 2

28 minutes ago, excitedofharpenden said:

They use the Drawing Room quite a bit that isn't noticed so much.  Apart from the Best of the Best meals each cruise, it is used for special services like wedding vow renewals and religious celebrations and group meetings. And then of course those that want to use it as a library. I don't think it would be practicable. 

Phil 

‘Thanks Phil for the explanation.  Interestingly, on our cruise, group meetings were held on Windows verandah.

3 minutes ago, Werangels said:

‘Thanks Phil for the explanation.  Interestingly, on our cruise, group meetings were held on Windows verandah.

Often the ones held in the Library are those that are not widely advertised/private functions etc

8 minutes ago, Werangels said:

I honestly think that using the Drawing Room as an eating venue?  At their peril. It's actually used a lot for other events. You'd be surprised. 

Phil 

• Like 1

On 7/29/2019 at 4:03 AM, uktog said:

Fine if you board early but these guests have booked an expensive land based option through Azamara as others might do in the future so they do need to review the system.  If you read their post, there was nothing set up when they arrived so the standard response isn't appropriate for late arrivals.  

It shouldn't be difficult to transmit information on evenings to the tour and gather provisional requests for bookings.  

I know in South America the Azamara pre cruise tour from Machu Picchu arrived in very late on embarkation day and had quite a rush around as a result.  They are packing in the pre cruise experience (fair enough) but haven't adjusted how this links to the ships.

Thank you for understanding, it was incredibly disappointing and an awful way to start a cruise vacation.

I was under the impression (restated in the comments above) that “you can always book reservations” at Windows or similar.  I’m saying that arriving FROM an Azamara land package and being among the last to board, with NOBODY from Azamara to acknowledge our arrival, was simply wrong.  And poor business practice. And I would STRONGLY rethink taking a land package in the future for precisely this reason.

There was nowhere to register for anything when we boarded at 4:30 pm and if there was, we had no way of finding it without anyone getting these buses. We ultimately got dinner reservations though NOT at the times we would have preferred...first world problems but enough to cause some serious consideration in the future.

Rita, there was a French chef’s table available for us, and it was very nicely done. The we didn’t even realize that there were different types of chef’s table options. Newbies...there were a few other things I didn’t ever get explained and only found out after a week on board. I may start a thread for those.😉

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Sujormik said:

There was nowhere to register for anything when we boarded at 4:30 pm and if there was, we had no way of finding it without anyone getting these buses. We ultimately got dinner reservations though NOT at the times we would have preferred...first world problems but enough to cause some serious consideration in the future.

Newbies...there were a few other things I didn’t ever get explained and only found out after a week on board. I may start a thread for those.😉

That is exactly my concern when I saw that we had lunch scheduled in Anchorage.  We will get the left over slots... e.g. nights after long days in port.  Luckily we have a lot of days at sea  on our way to Japan so I’m hoping for more choice.

I’d love to hear about your lessons learned.  Azamara seems to depend on people researching their website for info rather than sharing it with them through emails,etc.  if it weren’t for CC, I wouldn’t even know about the Chef’s table or a White Night.

We booked a Disney cruise with our grandkids next Spring and I’ve already had more direct contact from Disney cruises about what to expect than I have from Azamara.

Rita

ps... looks like we may get a lot of rain during our precruise land tour... disappointing.  Nothing we can do but make the best of it.

2 hours ago, SoBaycruiser said:

That is exactly my concern when I saw that we had lunch scheduled in Anchorage.  We will get the left over slots... e.g. nights after long days in port.  Luckily we have a lot of days at sea  on our way to Japan so I’m hoping for more choice.

I’d love to hear about your lessons learned.  Azamara seems to depend on people researching their website for info rather than sharing it with them through emails,etc.  if it weren’t for CC, I wouldn’t even know about the Chef’s table or a White Night.

We booked a Disney cruise with our grandkids next Spring and I’ve already had more direct contact from Disney cruises about what to expect than I have from Azamara.

Rita

ps... looks like we may get a lot of rain during our precruise land tour... disappointing.  Nothing we can do but make the best of it.

We were INCREDIBLY lucky with weather, I believe my dad may have pulled some strings up there because it couldn’t have been better.😉 I’m amazed at what a huge difference it makes in the experience, wishing you clear skies! We did a Disney Cruise maybe 10 years ago, the experiences couldn’t have been more different.

Right now in Vancouver, will try to jot down my thoughts sooner than later. Suffice to say for now that I learned way more about the trip from CruiseCritic than I did from Azamara.  Safe travels.

57 minutes ago, Sujormik said:

We were INCREDIBLY lucky with weather, I believe my dad may have pulled some strings up there because it couldn’t have been better.😉 I’m amazed at what a huge difference it makes in the experience, wishing you clear skies! We did a Disney Cruise maybe 10 years ago, the experiences couldn’t have been more different.

Right now in Vancouver, will try to jot down my thoughts sooner than later. Suffice to say for now that I learned way more about the trip from CruiseCritic than I did from Azamara.  Safe travels.

There is a huge amount of information on Azamara’s website, but you have to ‘mine’ for it through the bottom menu, or using ‘Search’

On our recent Journey cruise, on embarkation day there was a meeting for first-time Azamara cruisers - don’t know if they had that on your cruise, but I guess given your late arrival it wouldn’t have been of any help to you.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Host Grandma Cruising said:

There is a huge amount of information on Azamara’s website, but you have to ‘mine’ for it through the bottom menu, or using ‘Search’

On our recent Journey cruise, on embarkation day there was a meeting for first-time Azamara cruisers - don’t know if they had that on your cruise, but I guess given your late arrival it wouldn’t have been of any help to you.

Exactly it’s usually at 3pm. So another reason the poster was let down. There’s also a ship’s tour either just before or just after.  However for many it’s all too much of a rush on embarkation day anyway.  People process info at different rates, a simple fact sheet 2 sides A4 highlighting key points for those new to Azamara could be handed over at check in to help. 

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, uktog said:

Exactly it’s usually at 3pm. So another reason the poster was let down. There’s also a ship’s tour either just before or just after.  However for many it’s all too much of a rush on embarkation day anyway.  People process info at different rates, a simple fact sheet 2 sides A4 highlighting key points for those new to Azamara could be handed over at check in to help. 

I agree, but it might be difficult to decide what to include - and I’m not sure that the fact there are different Chef’s Table menus would make it!

On HAL we got a booklet with a good ‘what to expect’ section. This was when you got paper rather then e-documents. Maybe the e-docs could include something like that.

There was a first-timer’s meeting, yes before we got to the port. We were on a land package FROM AZAMARA, how could they not be aware of us? The whole process was a a cluster. Really lowered my esteem for the company.

and you shouldn’t have to mine for info....paying customers (full price from the looks of all the last minute guests) should be treated with respect, not challenged!

• Like 2

On 7/29/2019 at 12:33 PM, nordski said:

At the last refurbishment there were originally plans to convert the Sunset Deck at dinner time into a sushi bar.

Many on this board were opposed to that change.

And the participants on this board were very influential in keeping the Sunset Deck from becoming a specialty restaurant. I remember it well!

• Like 3