Just Back from Azura

posford

Just back from Azura and though I do not wish to write a review, here are some snippets:-

Andersons Gin is no more.

The contract with the Andersons distillery has finished as they could not or would not increase production. Azura had half a bottle left but could not sell it as it was not on the till. A young barman gave me one by mistake so I suppose I had the very last one.

Drink prices.

Spirit prices are on the rise. Last July a gin flight was 7.85, in April was 8.85 and last week was 9.95.  Though beer and wine had only increased by a smaller amount.

Ventura

For the 2021/22 summer Ventura will be based in the med with Oceana back based in Southampton.

Unruly Guests

Cabin next to us had a family in who argued and swore and banged doors during the night and one night father had fist fight with teenage son. Reported to reception who were very concerned and kept phoning us to see if it was still happening. It went quiet then but the last night at 1pm the father threw the boy out in his underpants. He ran off.  As this was the last night we let it go but I am sure P &O would have put them off if they had persisted.

Oh yes we were told by a senior officer that they had actually had to handcuff someone fighting on deck 4.

Did not spoil our holiday as we had a great time.

And last but not least, the food was 100% better than on Azura in April.  The head chef this time was Andy Yuill.  He was on leave in April. Can’t say if this was the reason.

• Thanks 1

Cannot verify prices of Gin flights but had a whisky flight in Britannia in May and it was nowhere near £9-95 or else I wouldnt have had one. My memory gives me the idea that it was between £7 and £8.

Excellent post Posford and thanks for the info. Great shame about Anderson’s Gin as that was extremely nice. Nothing worse than unruly neighbours. Happened to us once (kids crashing around) and it put quite a downer on the cruise. Great news about Oceana. Had two very enjoyable cruises on her, but some years ago as we only do Southampton round trips. Will await with interest. 

The changes that will be made in summer 2021 according to port listings:

A) Azura (instead of Oceana) will be doing cruises from Valletta, Malta (no more Venice I guess)  in Central/Eastern Med.

B) Ventura in the place of Azura from Southampton (?) or maybe use a Med city as homeport(?)  doing cruises to Central/Western Med.

C) Oceana will be based in Southampton and it will do the 2020 cruises of Ventura to Western Europe and Canary islands.

All the other ships will remain in the same areas they were deployed in 2020.

1 hour ago, SummmerInKefalonia said:

The changes that will be made in summer 2021 according to port listings:

A) Azura (instead of Oceana) will be doing cruises from Valletta, Malta (no more Venice I guess)  in Central/Eastern Med.

B) Ventura in the place of Azura from Southampton (?) or maybe use a Med city as homeport(?)  doing cruises to Central/Western Med.

C) Oceana will be based in Southampton and it will do the 2020 cruises of Ventura to Western Europe and Canary islands.

All the other ships will remain in the same areas they were deployed in 2020.

I wonder if that means that Iona will be doing the fjords again, and of course we have Iona's sister joining the fleet in 2021 as well.

6 minutes ago, terrierjohn said:

I wonder if that means that Iona will be doing the fjords again, and of course we have Iona's sister joining the fleet in 2021 as well.

Thought the next P&O ship to be built after Iona wasnt due until May 2022.

Edited by majortom10

10 hours ago, majortom10 said:

Thought the next P&O ship to be built after Iona wasnt due until May 2022.

24 minutes ago, Rupert2251 said:

Correct!

Ok I got it wrong, just wishing my life away I suppose, but the question still remains does this mean that Iona will be restricted to the Fjords for summer 2021.  If so I think P&O are missing a major opportunity by not continuing with the winter schedules of Canaries, Med and Northern Europe ports, which I think would attract far more passengers. 

18 minutes ago, terrierjohn said:

Ok I got it wrong, just wishing my life away I suppose, but the question still remains does this mean that Iona will be restricted to the Fjords for summer 2021.  If so I think P&O are missing a major opportunity by not continuing with the winter schedules of Canaries, Med and Northern Europe ports, which I think would attract far more passengers. 

Lol I hope not! We want to do Iona but not to the Fjords, would like to go to the Canaries on her. I still don't see how they can fill her week in week out just to the Fjords.