Jump to content
Cruise Critic Community
UFMOM

What Brands of Tonic Water On Symphony

Recommended Posts

Does anyone know what brand of tonic water is on the Symphony? DH is very picky about the tonic in his G&T. He hates the stuff out of the gun. Sometimes they even push the wrong button and he ends up with club soda. I am bringing on 12 cans of Q tonic water in our carry on. Am I correct that I can only bring 12 cans. They are very small 7.5 oz each. Would bring Fevertree, but it doesn’t come in cans in the US. Just wondering what they will have on the ship when the Q runs out. Btw we have the drink pkg so cans of tonic will be covered for us. Thanks for any info.

 

Mary Ann

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, UFMOM said:

Does anyone know what brand of tonic water is on the Symphony? DH is very picky about the tonic in his G&T. He hates the stuff out of the gun. Sometimes they even push the wrong button and he ends up with club soda. I am bringing on 12 cans of Q tonic water in our carry on. Am I correct that I can only bring 12 cans. They are very small 7.5 oz each. Would bring Fevertree, but it doesn’t come in cans in the US. Just wondering what they will have on the ship when the Q runs out. Btw we have the drink pkg so cans of tonic will be covered for us. Thanks for any info.

 

Mary Ann

 

You can bring 12 cans or bottles no larger than 500 ml (17 ounces) each.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I’m pretty sure it’s Seagrams tonic water. I wish they had Fever Tree, but I’ve never seen it onboard. Fever Tree is available in 500 ml bottles, but I’ve found it very hard to find. The only place I’ve seen it in that size bottle is at Cost Plus World Market. Even there it’s usually in short supply. Plus lugging around 12 ½ liter bottles would be a pain.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, ATC cruiser said:

I’m pretty sure it’s Seagrams tonic water. I wish they had Fever Tree, but I’ve never seen it onboard. Fever Tree is available in 500 ml bottles, but I’ve found it very hard to find. The only place I’ve seen it in that size bottle is at Cost Plus World Market. Even there it’s usually in short supply. Plus lugging around 12 ½ liter bottles would be a pain.

 

Total Wine carries it.  Not sure if that store is in your area.  We had one open up within the last year and has caused all the prices in the area to adjust to stay competitive.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, reallyitsmema said:

 

Total Wine carries it.  Not sure if that store is in your area.  We had one open up within the last year and has caused all the prices in the area to adjust to stay competitive.

Unfortunately there isn’t one in the Chicago area. I wish there was because they carry Langley’s gin too. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Fever Tree at Total Wines in Port St Lucie and West Palm Beach on your drive to the port in MIA.😎

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Fever Tree Tonic is available from the huge warrior woman dot com

 

Free shipping if you have amazon prime.

 

((I))

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, reallyitsmema said:

 

You can bring 12 cans or bottles no larger than 500 ml (17 ounces) each.

But how would you use the cans of tonic?  Assuming you pay for the G&T, or have a drink package, can you ask the bartender to use your tonic!?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
4 hours ago, paul1815 said:

But how would you use the cans of tonic?  Assuming you pay for the G&T, or have a drink package, can you ask the bartender to use your tonic!?

You would just tell the bartender to pour in gin in the glass, but without the tonic.  Any decent bartender can "count" the amount of any alcohol poured into a glass.  The customer can then pour in their own tonic.  Would this work in an on-shore restaurant, probably not.  The other thing is how to preserve the remaining tonic in the can.

 

But getting back to the OP question.  As long as Q tonic (7.5 oz) is in a sealed 12 sealed cans upon embarkation they will be fine.  The cans could be even up to 17 oz.

Edited by gatour

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Q tonic is available in 500 ml bottles

 

Fever Tree is available in 16.9 ounce bottles.

 

I assume that you are driving from Vero Beach to Miami.

 

It's easy for you.

 

Put the 12 bottles in a small wheeled suitcase.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

Most bars use a gun and sometimes it’s gross. The lounges (CL, DL) use Seagrams in the can. 

Edited by HicksRA

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

If you get club soda...tell them to remake it.  I prefer tonic in my drinks.  If you simply want to DRINK tonic..bring some...if you want it in a mixed drink, they will do it.  No idea what "brand" it is....it's tonic, mixed in a drink.  It's fine.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Thanks everyone for the replies. If they have Seagrams, that will work. That was our second favorite brand before we discovered the “ boutique” tonics. I used to think tonic was tonic too, but was surprised by how much better a high quality tonic makes the drink taste. They usually have a higher degree of carbonation too. I like a fairly wide selection of mixed drinks, but DH only likes G&Ts, so I want to try to make sure he gets ones to his liking. He can probably get about 2 drinks from each small can since he doesn’t use a great deal of tonic and the gin pours will probably only be one shot. 

 Just found out that Q recently came out with an elderflower flavored tonic. Will probably bring that one since it is one of our favorite flavors from Fever Tree. When using the regular tonic we sometimes add a little St. Germain to the mix. I like to experiment with adding small amounts of different flavors to G&Ts to give them a twist, although purists will likely disagree with that and then there is the whole lemon vs lime controversy. DH goes with lemon, unless it’s Hendricks gin, then a cucumber slice. 

 

Mary Ann

 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, UFMOM said:

Thanks everyone for the replies. If they have Seagrams, that will work. That was our second favorite brand before we discovered the “ boutique” tonics. I used to think tonic was tonic too, but was surprised by how much better a high quality tonic makes the drink taste. They usually have a higher degree of carbonation too. I like a fairly wide selection of mixed drinks, but DH only likes G&Ts, so I want to try to make sure he gets ones to his liking. He can probably get about 2 drinks from each small can since he doesn’t use a great deal of tonic and the gin pours will probably only be one shot. 

 Just found out that Q recently came out with an elderflower flavored tonic. Will probably bring that one since it is one of our favorite flavors from Fever Tree. When using the regular tonic we sometimes add a little St. Germain to the mix. I like to experiment with adding small amounts of different flavors to G&Ts to give them a twist, although purists will likely disagree with that and then there is the whole lemon vs lime controversy. DH goes with lemon, unless it’s Hendricks gin, then a cucumber slice. 

 

Mary Ann

 

 

 

Are you sailing in a Suite or are you a Diamond level or above? 
 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, LilBlackDress said:

Are you sailing in a Suite or are you a Diamond level or above? 
 

 

We are Diamond level.

 

Mary Ann

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, UFMOM said:

Thanks everyone for the replies. If they have Seagrams, that will work. That was our second favorite brand before we discovered the “ boutique” tonics. I used to think tonic was tonic too, but was surprised by how much better a high quality tonic makes the drink taste. They usually have a higher degree of carbonation too. I like a fairly wide selection of mixed drinks, but DH only likes G&Ts, so I want to try to make sure he gets ones to his liking. He can probably get about 2 drinks from each small can since he doesn’t use a great deal of tonic and the gin pours will probably only be one shot. 

 Just found out that Q recently came out with an elderflower flavored tonic. Will probably bring that one since it is one of our favorite flavors from Fever Tree. When using the regular tonic we sometimes add a little St. Germain to the mix. I like to experiment with adding small amounts of different flavors to G&Ts to give them a twist, although purists will likely disagree with that and then there is the whole lemon vs lime controversy. DH goes with lemon, unless it’s Hendricks gin, then a cucumber slice. 

 

Mary Ann

 

 

 

 

We only discovered ST-Germain a few years ago... It's been a staple in our bar ever since.  Asides from a great addition to a G&T, my wife also loves an Elderflower Spritz.  I like Apérol Spritz, but my wife prefers it with St-Germain.

 

dp

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 minutes ago, dpostman said:

 

We only discovered ST-Germain a few years ago... It's been a staple in our bar ever since.  Asides from a great addition to a G&T, my wife also loves an Elderflower Spritz.  I like Apérol Spritz, but my wife prefers it with St-Germain.

 

dp

 

We started using it after we had a G&T Royale at Ruth Chris Steakhouse. We started making it at home with 2 oz. of a London dry gin,  half oz each of simple syrup and Domain de Canton ginger liquor or to taste, a really good squeeze of fresh lemon juice and tonic to taste. ( I like a bit more tonic than DH). Stir well with ice and garnish with pink peppercorns and a thyme sprig. It does make a little sweeter drink , but very good. When we had trouble finding the Domain de Canton at a liquor store, the clerk suggested using the St. Germain instead and we loved it. So now we make it both ways. Now I like to play aound with adding a little of this and that to G&Ts to see if there are more combinations we like. My favorite drink is an Old Fashioned and I like to tweak those with different bourbons and ryes and extra flavorings too. 

  I’m hoping on the ship I can have the bartender give us a shot of gin with a bit of ss and St Germain added over ice and a lemon wedge. Then DH can add his own tonic and get a decent approximation of what we make at home. We will tip extra as it will be off the menu and a bit more work than just making a basic G&T.

 

Mary Ann

 

 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
12 hours ago, cb at sea said:

If you get club soda...tell them to remake it.  I prefer tonic in my drinks.  If you simply want to DRINK tonic..bring some...if you want it in a mixed drink, they will do it.  No idea what "brand" it is....it's tonic, mixed in a drink.  It's fine.

This coming from someone who I am positive has never had a bottle of fever tree. Ruth’s Chris, Sizzler, it’s a steak, what’s the difference. 😎

Edited by ATC cruiser

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
56 minutes ago, UFMOM said:

 

We started using it after we had a G&T Royale at Ruth Chris Steakhouse. We started making it at home with 2 oz. of a London dry gin,  half oz each of simple syrup and Domain de Canton ginger liquor or to taste, a really good squeeze of fresh lemon juice and tonic to taste. ( I like a bit more tonic than DH). Stir well with ice and garnish with pink peppercorns and a thyme sprig. It does make a little sweeter drink , but very good. When we had trouble finding the Domain de Canton at a liquor store, the clerk suggested using the St. Germain instead and we loved it. So now we make it both ways. Now I like to play aound with adding a little of this and that to G&Ts to see if there are more combinations we like. My favorite drink is an Old Fashioned and I like to tweak those with different bourbons and ryes and extra flavorings too. 

  I’m hoping on the ship I can have the bartender give us a shot of gin with a bit of ss and St Germain added over ice and a lemon wedge. Then DH can add his own tonic and get a decent approximation of what we make at home. We will tip extra as it will be off the menu and a bit more work than just making a basic G&T.

 

Mary Ann

 

 

 

 

 

Experimenting with G&Ts and Old Fashioneds... I believe we would get along great on a cruise 😉  🥃

All hail the Drink packages 😉

 

Domain de Canton also a rare find around here.

 

I have usually been lucky to find at least one bartender on every cruise that is good at making the classics and also willing to "Bend" the recipes.  A few $$ cash tips here and there also helps.  I'll be on Brilliance for 12 nights in less than month, I'll surely have time to find one there.

 

dp

Edited by dpostman

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 hours ago, UFMOM said:

 

We are Diamond level.

 

Mary Ann

`Just wanted to make sure you weren't going to go to a bar and be disappointed that they only had the cans of Seagrams in the SL, CL or DL... 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, LilBlackDress said:

`Just wanted to make sure you weren't going to go to a bar and be disappointed that they only had the cans of Seagrams in the SL, CL or DL... 

 Hopefully we will be able to track down some cans. We tip the bartenders extra and that sometimes help them to appear. If they are in the DL maybe we can liberate a few unopened cans to bring to other venues if the need arises.

 

Mary Ann

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Forum Jump
    • Categories
      • 2019 Cruisers' Choice Destination Awards
      • Celebrity Cruises President and CEO Lisa Lutoff-Perlo invites you to #CrewUpWithWomen
      • Forum Assistance
      • New Cruisers
      • Cruise Lines “A – O”
      • Cruise Lines “P – Z”
      • River Cruising
      • ROLL CALLS
      • Digital Photography & Cruise Technology
      • Member Cruise Reviews
      • Special Interest Cruising
      • Cruise Discussion Topics
      • UK Cruising
      • Australia & New Zealand Cruisers
      • North American Homeports
      • Ports of Call
      • Cruise Conversations
×
×
  • Create New...