South Caribbean (need safety and flight info)

travelerbug7

Hello,

I'm need some info, please, and have several questions. We're sailing out of San Juan, flying in the night before. I'm a woman traveling w/ my beautiful, young adult daughter. Being that my husband or other adult children aren't with us, safety is a concern.

1. The cheapest flight gets into San Juan at 2:31 AM. Normally, I'd consider that, but how safe is traveling from airport to hotel at that time, when few people are probably out on the streets? What about 9:59 PM? Even that could get late, esp. if there are delays. 
  2. Which port does RCI sail from, and do you have a hotel recommendation nearby? We love to experience local culture, so I'm fine with an older, inexpensive place, but safety is highest priority/concern.
  3. What about transfers? What's safest way to get from airport to hotel, and then to port the next day?
  4. I'm looking at flights to return. I read that our ship returns to San Juan at 6 AM. What would be the earliest time I should reasonably book a return flight? I think there was one at 11 AM.  Would that work? I may also get another hotel room that night instead, and experience San Juan.
  5. Our itinerary includes: St. Kitts, St. Maarten, Antigua, Barbados, & St. Lucia. What can you tell me about safety on each of these islands? We're booking excursions mostly through shoreexcursioner.com and one through shorefox.com. Even if it's just a ride to the beach, I felt a bit safer paying more to have it planned ahead, then to pick a random taxi. Agree? If we decide to do something else, once we've arrived to a beach, how safe is it to take taxis on these islands? W plan to do a lot of shopping/beach, but I did add in an excursion to the mud baths, volcano, etc. (St. Lucia?), a cave and turtle swim in Barbados, and a couple other things.

Thanks! 🙂

• Haha 1

7 minutes ago, travelerbug7 said:

Hello,

I'm need some info, please, and have several questions. We're sailing out of San Juan, flying in the night before. I'm a woman traveling w/ my beautiful, young adult daughter. Being that my husband or other adult children aren't with us, safety is a concern.

1. The cheapest flight gets into San Juan at 2:31 AM. Normally, I'd consider that, but how safe is traveling from airport to hotel at that time, when few people are probably out on the streets? What about 9:59 PM? Even that could get late, esp. if there are delays. 
  2. Which port does RCI sail from, and do you have a hotel recommendation nearby? We love to experience local culture, so I'm fine with an older, inexpensive place, but safety is highest priority/concern.
  3. What about transfers? What's safest way to get from airport to hotel, and then to port the next day?
  4. I'm looking at flights to return. I read that our ship returns to San Juan at 6 AM. What would be the earliest time I should reasonably book a return flight? I think there was one at 11 AM.  Would that work? I may also get another hotel room that night instead, and experience San Juan.
  5. Our itinerary includes: St. Kitts, St. Maarten, Antigua, Barbados, & St. Lucia. What can you tell me about safety on each of these islands? We're booking excursions mostly through shoreexcursioner.com and one through shorefox.com. Even if it's just a ride to the beach, I felt a bit safer paying more to have it planned ahead, then to pick a random taxi. Agree? If we decide to do something else, once we've arrived to a beach, how safe is it to take taxis on these islands? W plan to do a lot of shopping/beach, but I did add in an excursion to the mud baths, volcano, etc. (St. Lucia?), a cave and turtle swim in Barbados, and a couple other things.

Thanks! 🙂

The easiest way to answer most of your questions is "Cheap does not equal Safe." 

Bad ideas: a 2:30 AM arrival and only one night pre-cruise stay, You're leaving zero buffer for travel interruption.

But, if you insist: Stay in a good hotel (e.g., look at Intercontinental or Marriott) and pre-arrange with the hotel's concierge for your private transfer from airport to hotel and even hotel to ship. Spend a few bucks for peace of mind (and use of common sense).

Here's an example: We were recently in Lima where the last place you would want to stay was in the downtown area (despite it's wonderful churches, museums, etc). Like most tourists, we stayed in upscale Mira Flores (with its own Turista Policia). We stayed at the Marriott and used their "preferred" car service for all of our transportation. Expensive? No. The cost to go anywhere within most of the immediate area was $9 USD/per trip. (Airport transfer was about $50 and Port was about $30? Can't remember exactly but the price was what we expected). The alternative was taxis, which, in Lima, are unlicensed and unmetered. Need I go further?

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Flatbush Flyer said:

The easiest way to answer most of your questions is "Cheap does not equal Safe." 

Bad ideas: a 2:30 AM arrival and only one night pre-cruise stay, You're leaving zero buffer for travel interruption.

But, if you insist: Stay in a good hotel (e.g., look at Intercontinental or Marriott) and pre-arrange with the hotel's concierge for your private transfer from airport to hotel and even hotel to ship. Spend a few bucks for peace of mind (and use of common sense).

Thank you! Yes, I worry about possible delays with that particular flight. I'm looking at other options, but it may be cheaper to take that flight (if it's safe), and stay an extra night in a hotel. I can get that flight round trip for $299 per person, which is a great price! I was more concerned about transferring to hotel in the middle of the night (safety).

As to 'safety' in Caribbean ports, you must understand that cruise lines go into those ports every day. IF there were to be any concern for the safety of their passengers, they just won't stop there. If you walk around with dollars in your hands, you will tempt people (just as you might in your home town). If you think about what you are doing, there will not be any issue with safety in those ports. If you have not logged on to your roll call, do so. Determine what others on your itinerary are doing in each port. Going places and doing things with new friends can be lots of fun.

A comment about Lima, it is (and the rest of the country that we saw) was less than eye appealing. Redoing your kitchen? Just dump everything alongside the road.

Remember that Puerto Rico is American territory. Sure, Spanish is their native language, but it is still America. The trip from the airport to Old San Juan (where the ship will be) is not long. Upon debarkation, a cab ride is simple and quick. A flight at 11:00 a.m. is better than 1:00 p.m. due to overcrowding at the airport as several ships send thousands of folks to the airport.

There is lots to see and do in Old San Juan, do a bit of research to help you determine how long you might want to be there.

• Like 2

I think you are letting your safety fears get the better of you. San Juan is not in the back of beyond or famous for taxi drivers kidnapping women for nefarious purposes. Nor are the ports you mentioned. In San Juan you will go from a brightly lit modern airport to a taxi from a licensed taxi company, to the front door of a brightly lit hotel lobby. In the morning you'll take a taxi from the hotel to the cruise terminal. Which, by the way, should be the Pan Am terminal, not the one in Old San Juan. An extra day or 2 either before or after your cruise s a good thing - there are all kinds of great things to see and do there.

Go to the Caribbean Ports of Call forum where you can pick up a lot of information about each port. The San Juan one will have suggestions on hotels. We like the Condado area and the Marriott resort. Also check out your Roll Call to find out what your fellow cruisers are planning.

By all means go with an independent tour provider if you wish. But if only going to a beach, there is nothing unsafe about taking a taxi. Thousands of other cruisers will be doing the same thing each day. Who knows, maybe you can share one with a fellow cruisers to split the cost.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, mom says said:

I think you are letting your safety fears get the better of you. San Juan is not in the back of beyond or famous for taxi drivers kidnapping women for nefarious purposes. Nor are the ports you mentioned. In San Juan you will go from a brightly lit modern airport to a taxi from a licensed taxi company, to the front door of a brightly lit hotel lobby. In the morning you'll take a taxi from the hotel to the cruise terminal. Which, by the way, should be the Pan Am terminal, not the one in Old San Juan. An extra day or 2 either before or after your cruise s a good thing - there are all kinds of great things to see and do there.

Go to the Caribbean Ports of Call forum where you can pick up a lot of information about each port. The San Juan one will have suggestions on hotels. We like the Condado area and the Marriott resort. Also check out your Roll Call to find out what your fellow cruisers are planning.

By all means go with an independent tour provider if you wish. But if only going to a beach, there is nothing unsafe about taking a taxi. Thousands of other cruisers will be doing the same thing each day. Who knows, maybe you can share one with a fellow cruisers to split the cost.

Thank you! This is so helpful. My husband told me to take a taxi! I was only nervous about it b/c I'm traveling with my daughter. No one will want me lol

2 hours ago, JimnKaren said:

As to 'safety' in Caribbean ports, you must understand that cruise lines go into those ports every day. IF there were to be any concern for the safety of their passengers, they just won't stop there. If you walk around with dollars in your hands, you will tempt people (just as you might in your home town). If you think about what you are doing, there will not be any issue with safety in those ports. If you have not logged on to your roll call, do so. Determine what others on your itinerary are doing in each port. Going places and doing things with new friends can be lots of fun.

A comment about Lima, it is (and the rest of the country that we saw) was less than eye appealing. Redoing your kitchen? Just dump everything alongside the road.

Remember that Puerto Rico is American territory. Sure, Spanish is their native language, but it is still America. The trip from the airport to Old San Juan (where the ship will be) is not long. Upon debarkation, a cab ride is simple and quick. A flight at 11:00 a.m. is better than 1:00 p.m. due to overcrowding at the airport as several ships send thousands of folks to the airport.

There is lots to see and do in Old San Juan, do a bit of research to help you determine how long you might want to be there.

Incorrect info here...Royal Caribbean does not sail from Old San Juan, but from the Pan American pier which is not near anything.  When Royal makes a port call in Puerto Rico, the dock in Old San Juan.  EM

19 minutes ago, Essiesmom said:

Incorrect info here...Royal Caribbean does not sail from Old San Juan, but from the Pan American pier which is not near anything.  When Royal makes a port call in Puerto Rico, the dock in Old San Juan.  EM

I did read that, thank you for pointing this out though.

From airport, as long as you take one of the marked cabs from the taxi stand, you will be fine.

Do NOT accept rides from anyone coming up to you and offering a ride.

Same for the hotel, the hotel will not put you in a sketchy cab.

But outside the hotel, use common sense (which is not always common).  Don't carry a lot of cash.  Do not wear jewelry (some is OK).  Do not walk in dark or deserted areas.  Keep your head UP and LOOKING AROUND.

• Like 1

My opinion would be this; you seemed concerned about safety for both you and your daughter. With that being the most important thing; you should try and find flights that arrive in San Juan in daylight hours. That way you can see everything in the daylight and there will be more options; from getting a cab or car service. Since you have not been to this port or airport before; it will all be new and you will not have any reference to what is around.   Book the Marriott or the Hilton; I have stayed in both hotels.  They have nice beach.  From one of these hotels you can arrange a ride to the port.  Peace of mind and starting your vacation off right is want you want. 

• Like 1

A guidebook on the Caribbean will give you "safety" info on all the islands.  You will not be in danger...at least, no more than you are anywhere at home!  You won't be straying off the tourists paths...and there will be other cruisers and vacationers all about!

• Like 1

Hi - I'm going to take a slightly different path with my response.

Several years ago, due to work schedules,  my husband & I arrived in San Juan about 2 am for a cruise departing later that day. As soon as we arrived, we went to the Hampton Inn which is very close to the airport. I do not remember having any problem getting a cab from the airport at that hour.

However, we were so tired the first two days of the cruise, we missed a lot. (We were in our 50s at the time and both in reasonably good shape.) Please consider how quickly you will "spring back" from a late flight once the cruise has departed. Is it worth being too tired to enjoy this time with your daughter for an inexpensive plane fare? More than just money can come into play here.

Hope you have a wonderful cruise. We've been to San Juan 2 or 3 times - lovely city and very walkable in the Old San Juan area. The Ports of Call forums have a wealth of useful information on the other islands. As others have said - don't flash a lot of cash, be aware of your surroundings and use official taxis, not some guy at the end of the pier offering you a ride.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Old San Juan is a wonderful Spanish colonial remnant. On our several cruises to/from Puerto Rico we have always spent at least two days before and after just because it is a nice place to visit. Several nice older hotels in the central part of OSJ which are just as secure as the plastic international chains. 

Arriving at the airport, there is a taxi queue, a person in charge, you identify your destination, they tell you what it will cost, write that out for the driver and you are on your way. For embarkation it is a short cab ride from OSJ to thePanAmerican pier across the bay. Ask your hotel, they can arrange for you. 

DO get there early enough to at least have a chance for a dinner out in OSJ, many very fine restaurants and also some cafes serving more traditional food like mofongos. Try to get outside of your comfort zone and enjoy! Leave the helicopter at home and let your daughter enjoy as well! There was a big fuss in the news recently about the demonstrations that led to the governor’s resignation. That is done and over with, you can ignore all of that.

Stan

On 7/18/2019 at 3:01 PM, MarKay525 said:

Hi - I'm going to take a slightly different path with my response.

Several years ago, due to work schedules,  my husband & I arrived in San Juan about 2 am for a cruise departing later that day. As soon as we arrived, we went to the Hampton Inn which is very close to the airport. I do not remember having any problem getting a cab from the airport at that hour.

However, we were so tired the first two days of the cruise, we missed a lot. (We were in our 50s at the time and both in reasonably good shape.) Please consider how quickly you will "spring back" from a late flight once the cruise has departed. Is it worth being too tired to enjoy this time with your daughter for an inexpensive plane fare? More than just money can come into play here.

Hope you have a wonderful cruise. We've been to San Juan 2 or 3 times - lovely city and very walkable in the Old San Juan area. The Ports of Call forums have a wealth of useful information on the other islands. As others have said - don't flash a lot of cash, be aware of your surroundings and use official taxis, not some guy at the end of the pier offering you a ride.

Thank you! Flight is booked. We get in early afternoon, the day before the cruise. We also have all day and an extra night in OSJ to "recover" when we return 🙂

11 hours ago, GottaKnowWhen said:

Old San Juan is a wonderful Spanish colonial remnant. On our several cruises to/from Puerto Rico we have always spent at least two days before and after just because it is a nice place to visit. Several nice older hotels in the central part of OSJ which are just as secure as the plastic international chains. 

Arriving at the airport, there is a taxi queue, a person in charge, you identify your destination, they tell you what it will cost, write that out for the driver and you are on your way. For embarkation it is a short cab ride from OSJ to thePanAmerican pier across the bay. Ask your hotel, they can arrange for you. 

DO get there early enough to at least have a chance for a dinner out in OSJ, many very fine restaurants and also some cafes serving more traditional food like mofongos. Try to get outside of your comfort zone and enjoy! Leave the helicopter at home and let your daughter enjoy as well! There was a big fuss in the news recently about the demonstrations that led to the governor’s resignation. That is done and over with, you can ignore all of that.

Stan

Thank you! We get in about 1 PM the day before the cruise, so we plan to enjoy SJ the day/night before. Upon return, we're staying in OSJ, where we'll have a full day and a half plus one night, before our flight home. We're excited to explore! No helicopter 🙂, but I get more concerned about safety when not traveling w/ my husband or adult sons. We're so looking forward to this trip together!

On 7/17/2019 at 1:48 PM, cb at sea said:

A guidebook on the Caribbean will give you "safety" info on all the islands.  You will not be in danger...at least, no more than you are anywhere at home!  You won't be straying off the tourists paths...and there will be other cruisers and vacationers all about!

Another dose of drive-by misinformation.  2:30 AM in San Juan near the Pan American pier is NOT like “anywhere at home”. There will NOT be “other cruisers and vacationers all about!”

7 hours ago, travelerbug7 said:

Thank you! We get in about 1 PM the day before the cruise, so we plan to enjoy SJ the day/night before. Upon return, we're staying in OSJ, where we'll have a full day and a half plus one night, before our flight home. We're excited to explore! No helicopter 🙂, but I get more concerned about safety when not traveling w/ my husband or adult sons. We're so looking forward to this trip together!

Sounds like a plan! Our favorite hotel in Old San Juan is the Casablanca.  Casablanca During our first couple of stays they were streaming the Casablanca movie 24/7 on the TV in the reception area, our last time (in late 2017) they were still in hurricane-recovery mode and things were a bit rough. 

A nice looking place just across the street, called Milano as i recall, was just a bit more expensive. And they have a nice roof-top restaurant! The Convent is a nice looking place with a good reputation but also quite a bit more expensive. El Convento

Enjoy your time there. And oh by the way have a nice cruise as well!

Stan

21 minutes ago, GottaKnowWhen said:

Sounds like a plan! Our favorite hotel in Old San Juan is the Casablanca.  Casablanca During our first couple of stays they were streaming the Casablanca movie 24/7 on the TV in the reception area, our last time (in late 2017) they were still in hurricane-recovery mode and things were a bit rough. 

A nice looking place just across the street, called Milano as i recall, was just a bit more expensive. And they have a nice roof-top restaurant! The Convent is a nice looking place with a good reputation but also quite a bit more expensive. El Convento

Enjoy your time there. And oh by the way have a nice cruise as well!

Stan

Thanks! We're staying in Isla Verde (maybe I'm not spelling that right) the first night at Courtyard by Marriott, so we'll be close to the Pan Am pier. The last night we stay closer to OSJ. Can't wait!

On ‎7‎/‎14‎/‎2019 at 12:40 PM, travelerbug7 said:

I was only nervous about it b/c I'm traveling with my daughter. No one will want me lol

As a female, you're making a serious mistake by thinking that only a young, attractive woman can be the victim of crime.  

Roz