Bottles of Water from Port Stops

7 hours ago, SRF said:

Point is, it is not allowed.  If you try and get it onboard, fine.  If you try and it gets taken away, don't come crying about it.

I have seen many times that open bottles were required to be tossed.  And any container was required to be dumped.

Well said, and agree.  

12 hours ago, auburn77 said:

My wife has to use distilled water for her sinuses each night. Do they sell gallon jugs of it on the ship? 

12 hours ago, Host Clarea said:

Ask your stateroom attendant, they give it to you for free.

You can also call Royal in advance and ask for it, it will be in the stateroom when you board.

I imagine it MIGHT be different whether you're going through the port's security at a port of call, or the ship's security.  

Sometimes the x-ray machine is in the port area and staffed by port personnel, like at an airport.  Other ports aren't set up for that, and so the x-ray machine is on board the ship as you enter, and that's staffed by RCI security personnel.  

1 hour ago, brillohead said:

I imagine it MIGHT be different whether you're going through the port's security at a port of call, or the ship's security.  

Sometimes the x-ray machine is in the port area and staffed by port personnel, like at an airport.  Other ports aren't set up for that, and so the x-ray machine is on board the ship as you enter, and that's staffed by RCI security personnel.  

Every time I have seen them make people toss open bottles or dump containers, it is has been ship's security doing so.  Just before the gangway.

alfaeric...How Anthem over Thanksgiving.  We are on her this year and I thought I was booking the week after but when I checked our school schedule we will be sailing the week of.  Know there will be kids but how was it otherwise?  Thanks

1 hour ago, lovescats5 said:

alfaeric...How Anthem over Thanksgiving.  We are on her this year and I thought I was booking the week after but when I checked our school schedule we will be sailing the week of.  Know there will be kids but how was it otherwise?  Thanks

I didn't think it was too bad- we are going again over Thanksgiving this year, too (for the third T-Giving on her).  Given the low cost of the cruise, I don't think families travel out of New York for the holiday.

The itinerary is kind of a throw away one- Canaveral, Nassau, and Coco Cay.  But we are ok with that.

2 hours ago, SRF said:

Every time I have seen them make people toss open bottles or dump containers, it is has been ship's security doing so.  Just before the gangway.

I had part of a water bottle left coming back from snorkeling in Cozumel, and I fully expected the port security to make me toss it in the trash.  I even had it out to ask about it while I was in line, but the guy just shook his head like it was no problem, so I put it back in my bag and put my bag through the x-ray.  

7 hours ago, Pratique said:

You can also call Royal in advance and ask for it, it will be in the stateroom when you board.

Thank you for this info! I’ll be having surgery in a few months, and my ENT wants me to diligent with the sinus rinses in preparation. I was wondering how I’d manage on the ship next month.

alfaeric...That was one reason we ended up on her over Thanksgiving.  We were looking and I came across a price for a Grand Loft Suite that was cheaper than what we had paid before so we jumped on it.  I was just surprised it was so low for the holiday.  We tend to cruise non school breaks, my granddaughter is home schooled so that works for us, and was just amazed it was a holiday.  Of course we paid the room savings on air fare, it is way high.  We did not pick that time for the stops either, were at the same places in April.  We love the ship, iFly and bumper cars. 

34 minutes ago, BearsAhoy said:

Thank you for this info! I’ll be having surgery in a few months, and my ENT wants me to diligent with the sinus rinses in preparation. I was wondering how I’d manage on the ship next month.

You're welcome. When we put in the request in advance, it gets added to the reservation and usually they kick out a new confirmation showing the special request for distilled water. In the past we've received a gallon bottle but you can ask for more during the cruise if needed. It's nice to have it waiting in the cabin when you arrive or shortly thereafter.

We've always been required to pour out any opened drinks, or drink them, before re-boarding.  A sealed bottle of water should be ok.

You do know the ship's water is fine...don't you?  It's in your food, ice and beverages.

13 hours ago, kidless said:

Been awhile maybe 8-10 years

That's why.

A few years ago the workers at PC stopped accepting cases with a luggage tag.  If you put the water in a duffle bag (with handles) they were fine.

But last fall, RCI changed the rules and now it is 12 bottles, and it needs to be in your carry on.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, kidless said:

I’ve cruise since then just haven’t taken any water. 

I am still doing my usual, which is to put 6-8 bottles (for a week long cruise) in a separate duffel bag with handles including rain gear, beach bags, etc.,  then put a luggage tag on it.  Though now, I am supposed to put them in my carry on, so far...it is still delivered to our cabin, but if went to "naughty room" I would not be without my clothes in the other cases.  I have never brought on a whole case.  

• Like 1

On 7/14/2019 at 11:27 PM, ChbyMnky said:

Can you bring any sealed water bottles onboard from ports of call?  If so, what are the limits/requirements?  We weren't planing to bring a case back or anything, but thought it might be nice to bring a few back each day to avoid the high prices onboard.

Thank you!

Had no problem bringing our cooler bag with 5-6 bottles of water back on Harmony from SXM.  We didn't buy them in port but brought them off the ship and were bringing back the leftovers, but security didn't even give them a second glance.  YMMV.

Edited by PlanetX

Just sharing many recent observations ---

Upon disembarking the ship from quite a few cruises this year in NOLA, Sydney, Port Everglades, Miami and Cape Liberty, we've seen cases of water with luggage tags attached, along with full-sized irons, steamers, mini crock-pots, large extension cords and even a rice cooker on the "Naughty Table" for cruisers to re-claim after cruising.  The porters outside were telling cruisers the cases of water would not be accepted but the advice wasn't heeded in many instances.  I also overheard several supervisors telling the cruise staff not to deliver the cases of water as it's not allowed anymore. 

You used to be able to bring non-alcoholic beverages aboard.  I used to toss an extra luggage tag on a case of Diet Coke and send it on to the room when I sailed Norwegian (they have Pepsi.....ick).  But, there were multiple issues with guests boarding with "water" that was actually vodka or some other sort of alcohol.  This led to a ban on beverages being brought aboard that began around 3 years ago.  I never thought it was worth it to test the enforcement, and NCL went down the tubes service-wise, so I switched to Royal (which DOES have Diet Coke), and no more worries.  You can try, but don't be surprised if you lose it.

Personally, I opt for some sort of drink package so I can just grab as many waters as I want from the ship.

23 hours ago, island lady said:

I am still doing my usual, which is to put 6-8 bottles (for a week long cruise) in a separate duffel bag with handles including rain gear, beach bags, etc.,  then put a luggage tag on it.  Though now, I am supposed to put them in my carry on, so far...it is still delivered to our cabin, but if went to "naughty room" I would not be without my clothes in the other cases.  I have never brought on a whole case.  

It seems now, they will hold your water until the end of the cruise.  Not give it to you after a visit to the naughty room.

YMMV

9 hours ago, SRF said:

It seems now, they will hold your water until the end of the cruise.  Not give it to you after a visit to the naughty room.

YMMV

That's for CASES of water, not individual bottles. 

They now allow up to twelve bottles/cans of non-alcoholic beverages to be brought on board.  If called to The Naughty Room, after showing that it's non-alcoholic and under the number allowed to be brought on board, they should be allowed to take it back to their room.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, brillohead said:

That's for CASES of water, not individual bottles. 

They now allow up to twelve bottles/cans of non-alcoholic beverages to be brought on board.  If called to The Naughty Room, after showing that it's non-alcoholic and under the number allowed to be brought on board, they should be allowed to take it back to their room.

Had no problem bringing 12 bottles of water onto Harmony in PC this week, in carryon bags.