Bringing on bottles of wine

debbaitinger

18 minutes ago, Underwatr said:

I'm not sure that "they won't catch me" is adequate rationale, but on the ships I've been on the quality and size of the wine glasses in the rooms is not the same as that in the bars and restaurants.

Well, the obvious answer is to take one of the bar wine glasses back to your cabin, to use when necessary.

3 hours ago, Underwatr said:

I'm not sure that "they won't catch me" is adequate rationale, but on the ships I've been on the quality and size of the wine glasses in the rooms is not the same as that in the bars and restaurants.

Who said anything about 'they won't catch me" (sneaking)? No one needs to sneak a drink/wine into another venue. No matter where it was poured. There are no wine glasses in the staterooms (inside, OV, balconies) on RC and Celebrity. You have to request them from your stateroom attendant. The wine glasses the stateroom attendant provides are the same as the lounges/bars (I doubt they are Riedel wine glasses) around the ship. At least for the less expensive wines. 

18 minutes ago, DarrenM said:

I may be missing the point here but if you have a drinks package why do you need to bring your own wine?

Is the wine on board that bad?

I don't drink wine.

Not everyone gets a drinks package.

• Like 1

54 minutes ago, DarrenM said:

I was aware, obviously, that it was extra when booking, but I just assumed everyone bought the package. I must have saved a fortune by getting it.

Surely that depends on how much you drink, what the cost of the package is, and how much the drinks would cost individually. Certainly, on a port intensive cruise, packages may not always be the best option, especially if the package specifies a minimum time between each drink, as is the case with P&O.

Well I have only been on celebrity and there was no such limit. 

It made life so much easier and relaxing knowing there wasn't a bill coming at the end.

Regardless of how much drink was taken.

But let's face it the prices charged for these cruises the drinks should be bloody free.

26 minutes ago, DarrenM said:

But let's face it the prices charged for these cruises the drinks should be bloody free.

If you stay in a quality hotel the drinks are not free, why should a ship be any different? If you want an all inclusive cruise, try Marella.

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, DarrenM said:

Well I have only been on celebrity and there was no such limit. 

It made life so much easier and relaxing knowing there wasn't a bill coming at the end.

Regardless of how much drink was taken.

But the packages are free when they come as a perk.

6 hours ago, wowzz said:

If you stay in a quality hotel the drinks are not free,

Far from it.  Like a ship, with a captive audience the skies the limit.  With Oceania, we can carry on our wine and pay corkage if we take some to the restaurant.

3 hours ago, MicCanberra said:

But the packages are free when they come as a perk.

Price a Celebrity cruise with and without the beverage package option/perk. You'll see the BP isn't free. The BP is reduced in price when bundled with the cruise fare compared to just purchasing the BP. 

18 hours ago, DarrenM said:

I may be missing the point here but if you have a drinks package why do you need to bring your own wine?

Is the wine on board that bad?

I don't drink wine.

The drink package limits you to a certain dollar amount per drink.  A lot of wines are higher than that by the glass.

And it can be nice to have a special bottle of wine with a special meal. 

8 hours ago, Underwatr said:

"Included" is subtly different from "free." 🙂

6 hours ago, davekathy said:

Price a Celebrity cruise with and without the beverage package option/perk. You'll see the BP isn't free. The BP is reduced in price when bundled with the cruise fare compared to just purchasing the BP. 

Sorry, but I had left the sarcasm emoji off my comment by mistake..😔

• Thanks 1