MSC Seaside questions for first time cruisers

healsea

Hi Everyone - I'm hoping some of you who have sailed on MSC Seaside (eastern Caribbean) can help answer some of my questions. We are a group of 9 who have never been on a cruise but are well traveled, ages 17 to 70, and are celebrating my parents 50th anniversary. We all have Fantastica package/Balcony rooms.  We depart on August 3rd from Miami.

We have already registered for the cruise critic meet and mingle.  

I appreciate the help/tips! 

1) when is the meet/mingle party typically held, is it the first night of the cruise? 

2) is there a way for us to communicate on board without all of us purchasing the internet/wi-fi package? could we use the MSC for Me app to communicate? otherwise we may just bring 2 way radios/walkie talkies

3) we just signed up for the Voyagers Club, will they issue us a Voyagers card during embarkation?

4) what time of the morning will we need to get down to the South Beach pool area to get loungers/chairs? Are there spots at any of the pools what provide good shade (jungle/south beach/miami) or which pool would you recommend for a group of 9 of us? 

5) MSC signed us up for late dining, however we prefer early dining. I can't seem to change it on the MSC website, do we just have to do that on board to change the dining time at the MDR? Where would we go to do that? 

6) does the Easy Drink package cover basic cocktails like Vodka Club Soda w/ lime? Are there decent wines w the easy drinks package? 

7) how/when do we get the wristbands we can use to purchase things instead of carrying around the card? 

8 )  do you have bar/lounge recommendations where all us can grab a table to play cards/games? will they have a problem with the under 21 nieces being there? 

9) our Fantastica package says room service is free, does that mean the room service delivery is free but you still have to pay for the food? It looks like it does come with free continental breakfast, hopefully that includes coffee

10) we have signed up already for an excursion in St Thomas, do you have any recommendations for other excursions in San Juan, St Maarten, or Nassau? Or perhaps better just to get off the ship and walk around ourselves or take a taxi? Mostly we like being near by the beach/water 

11) would the Seaside crew offer anything special/extra to help us celebrate my parent's 50th anniversary, how/when would i let them know?

1 hour ago, healsea said:

I'll put my answers after your questions.  I've only gone YC (Yacht Club) the last few times, but have had friends book other experiences. 

Hi Everyone - I'm hoping some of you who have sailed on MSC Seaside (eastern Caribbean) can help answer some of my questions. We are a group of 9 who have never been on a cruise but are well traveled, ages 17 to 70, and are celebrating my parents 50th anniversary. We all have Fantastica package/Balcony rooms.  We depart on August 3rd from Miami.

1) when is the meet/mingle party typically held, is it the first night of the cruise? Typically on the first sea day (Sunday)  around 10:30 or 11:00.  It's a nice treat to meet and talk to officers to get their suggestions and for you to make yours.

2) is there a way for us to communicate on board without all of us purchasing the internet/wi-fi package? could we use the MSC for Me app to communicate? otherwise we may just bring 2 way radios/walkie talkies.  MSC for Me does not work for person-to-person communication.  Some people said they could use Messenger on I-Phone, but I couldn't do it. radios wouldn't be a bad idea.

3) we just signed up for the Voyagers Club, will they issue us a Voyagers card during embarkation?  It should appear on your card, but it will be in your record.

4) what time of the morning will we need to get down to the South Beach pool area to get loungers/chairs? Are there spots at any of the pools what provide good shade (jungle/south beach/miami) or which pool would you recommend for a group of 9 of us?  Jungle has shade with the roof.  The aft pool is supposed to be adult only.  People say if you get out and look for a chair by 8:00 on sea days you should be okay. Maybe not the best location, but at least you can get something usually.

5) MSC signed us up for late dining, however we prefer early dining. I can't seem to change it on the MSC website, do we just have to do that on board to change the dining time at the MDR? Where would we go to do that?   You have to do it on board,  Find out which dining room the maitre d is in, and ask for a change.  One thing to note is that MSC asks you to pick early or late, but there are actually three seatings.

6) does the Easy Drink package cover basic cocktails like Vodka Club Soda w/ lime? Are there decent wines w the easy drinks package?  Wines are pretty basic.  Two reds and two whites, I believe.  You can get a basic alcohol drink.  E.G. Bacardi white rum, Smirnoff vodka, Beefeater or Gordon's gin, etc.

7) how/when do we get the wristbands we can use to purchase things instead of carrying around the card? You can by them when you board.  There will be setup near guest services.

8 )  do you have bar/lounge recommendations where all us can grab a table to play cards/games? will they have a problem with the under 21 nieces being there?  Seaview Lounge has couches and low tables.  Horizon has tables.  They won't have a problem with underagers.

9) our Fantastica package says room service is free, does that mean the room service delivery is free but you still have to pay for the food? It looks like it does come with free continental breakfast, hopefully that includes coffee.  Continental is (or should be) free.  Basic drinks like coffee and tea are included.  You will pay listed price for other items, and a tip is still customary.

10) we have signed up already for an excursion in St Thomas, do you have any recommendations for other excursions in San Juan, St Maarten, or Nassau? Or perhaps better just to get off the ship and walk around ourselves or take a taxi? Mostly we like being near by the beach/water .  St. Thomas is the only really long day.  San Juan is possibly a quick trip to one of the forts before they close at six, or just walk around and window shop or have drinks and dinner.  We used to go to Maho Beach in St. Maarten, but the bigger planes aren't really coming in much these days.  You can walk or take a water taxi ($7 for all-day pass) to the town and there is a decent beach and bars and restaurants there.  You can negotiate for two chairs, an umbrella, and four beers or cold soft drinks from the locals for about $20.  We don't usually get off the ship in in Nassau (too many times!).  You could go a few blocks to the Straw Market, or about a ten-minute walk to a public beach. 

11) would the Seaside crew offer anything special/extra to help us celebrate my parent's 50th anniversary, how/when would i let them know?  Yes, they can and will.  Mention it to your room steward on day one, and tell him what day you would like to do it.  You may also back that and talk to the hotel director at the Meet and Greet. Have a great cruise.

I think you are supposed to get an invite to the Meet & Greet in your cabin, but I did not.  I just happened to walk by the venue when it was almost over....I did see later that it had been listed in the daily program, so be sure to look for it about 1000 on the first sea day.  

The wristbands are sold in the MC Logo ship on deck 8, but they are sold by muster station, and they didn't have my station so I had to go to Guest Services to get it.  They set it up for you.  I didn't notice them being sold on the first day, but then, I didn't consider getting one then.  But I saw the value when I had to take my card out of the light slot in the cabin in order to leave, which meant looking for my sister's card, or leave her in the dark.  

There are three pools...South Beach on deck 7; Miami Beach on deck 16; Jungle Lounge pool on deck 18, plus the Aquaventure park also on 18. 

Dining times on Seaside were 5:15, 7:15 & 9:15 in the Ipanema restaurant; fifteen minutes later (5:30, 7:30, 9:30) in the Seashore restaurant.  EM

Re communicating with family members on board:  Other posts have indicated that this doesn't work very well, due to the metal structure of the ship.  

We just use the cabin phone, with answering machine if needed, and post-it notes in the cabin.  Mainly, if we're going to be in different places for a while, we just agree to meet at a place and time.

Sorry one more question, on our embarkation forms it has a time listed for us at 215pm, is that just a suggested time and we can actually come on the ship earlier? Or do they enforce it? 

1 hour ago, healsea said:

Sorry one more question, on our embarkation forms it has a time listed for us at 215pm, is that just a suggested time and we can actually come on the ship earlier? Or do they enforce it? 

We arrive around 11-11:30 and boarding usually starts around that time. 

22 hours ago, healsea said:

From what I understand, it isn't enforced. Our embarkation time was 1:30 pm and we showed up at 11 and got right on. 

On 7/15/2019 at 12:53 PM, healsea said:

1) when is the meet/mingle party typically held, is it the first night of the cruise? 

JAGR is right: first sea day, late morning.  But you have to sign up for it...just click on Meet 'n Mingle tab at the top of this page and provide requested info.  You'll receive an invitation in your cabin.

On 7/15/2019 at 9:39 PM, Host Jazzbeau said:

The most important question back to you is:  having signed up for VC, did you get the 5% discount?

I can confirm that we did get the discount. 

• Like 1

2) is there a way for us to communicate on board without all of us purchasing the internet/wi-fi package? could we use the MSC for Me app to communicate? otherwise we may just bring 2 way radios/walkie talkies

3) we just signed up for the Voyagers Club, will they issue us a Voyagers card during embarkation?

The Cruisecard will show your status, different colours for each level. 

4) what time of the morning will we need to get down to the South Beach pool area to get loungers/chairs? Are there spots at any of the pools what provide good shade (jungle/south beach/miami) or which pool would you recommend for a group of 9 of us? 

South Beach pool ( at the back) starts getting busy around 8-9ish. It's 16+ only and there is a lifeguard that enforces it. Lots of chairs. Shade wise, try Jungle pool but gets crazy busy. 

5) MSC signed us up for late dining, however we prefer early dining. I can't seem to change it on the MSC website, do we just have to do that on board to change the dining time at the MDR? Where would we go to do that? 

You have to ask when you get on board at Dining Room. One thing I dislike is dress code totally not enforced in main dining room (we are on ship now 7/22) so on elegant night, for example, some people in tuxes, others in jean shorts and tee shirts. Maitre D just shrugs and says nothing he can do. 

6) does the Easy Drink package cover basic cocktails like Vodka Club Soda w/ lime? Are there decent wines w the easy drinks package? 

7) how/when do we get the wristbands we can use to purchase things instead of carrying around the card? 

8 )  do you have bar/lounge recommendations where all us can grab a table to play cards/games? will they have a problem with the under 21 nieces being there? 

Seaview bar probably best for this. No age restrictions in bars. 

9) our Fantastica package says room service is free, does that mean the room service delivery is free but you still have to pay for the food? It looks like it does come with free continental breakfast, hopefully that includes coffee

You have to pay for the food but delivery is free. There is no expectation to tip anyone on board ( you pay a daily service charge credited to your account once a week). 

10) we have signed up already for an excursion in St Thomas, do you have any recommendations for other excursions in San Juan, St Maarten, or Nassau? Or perhaps better just to get off the ship and walk around ourselves or take a taxi? Mostly we like being near by the beach/water 

San Juan was cancelled for us because of riot. For Nassau, a taxi to love beach is $100 return for four of us. It's a quiet beach about 15 mins away. Has bar, toilets etc. Umbrella and two chairs $20. 

11) would the Seaside crew offer anything special/extra to help us celebrate my parent's 50th anniversary, how/when would i let them know?

Answers inline. 

Other tips. We were on Aurea package to slightly different. 

Anytime dining after 8pm is mad. Too busy

Ships WiFi pretty good. I'm typing on it now. Not amazing fast but faster on port days when less people using it. Good for internet, email. iMessage works fine if other devices have it. 

Speciality restaurants all really good. If you like that sort of thing and want to pay extra, check it out. Only certain drinks packages work though so confirm at the bar there.

On 7/16/2019 at 12:23 PM, healsea said:

My time was 4:15 pm .   We got there at 10 am and was in boarding group 1 and on by 11:45 am.     So no enforcement.  LOL

We were able to communicate with I messaging on our I phones.  

I had the unlimited internet package one device at a time.   However as long as my family was connected to the wifi to use the MSC App we could I Message each other.   No photos go thru and the messages sometimes took a bit but it worked.