Alaska Glacier Cruise question

flyer79

Hey all thanks in advance for your input and advice.   We are booked on a June 2020 Westerdam double Denali land and sea trip.  One day of the cruise portion is scenic cruising thru Glacier Bay.  

There are a number of optional excursions that also involve a glacier cruise.  From the Alyeska resort there is an 8 hour optional cruise thru Prince William Sound.  And from Seward there is an 8 hour cruise thru Kenai Fjords.  

Are glacier cruises so cool that we should do them all?  Or is one glacier cruise pretty similar to the next one?  I’m sure everyone’s mileage may differ but I always enjoy reading your perspectives.

Thanks!

I’ve done both.  The Prince William Sound cruise was on a very overcast day on an overcrowded ship.  I wouldn’t do it again.  Find another activity at Alyeska which is a beautiful area and do the Kenai Fjords 8 hour trip out of Seward where you will see more wildlife and you also get close to the glacier.  

You will also get a glacier experience on the Westerdam.

Edited by oaktreerb
  • Like 2

Our Prince William Sound 26 Glacier Tour was INCREDIBLE. It was a crystal clear day, and I will bet we saw more than 26 glaciers. Can't control the weather, and can understand cloudiness dampening things some. But highly recommend the tour.

• Like 1

We go to Alaska for wildlife and scenery. We have done Kenai Fjords on back to back days. Different but both tremendous. It is very different than GB. 

If I had your itinerary, I would do them all. That’s why I go. Enjoy your choices and trip. 

Last year while in port at Anchorage, we rented a car and took a beautiful drive to Portage Valley in Chugach National Forest.  (This is not too far from Alyeska). We had a wonderful time and stopped at various viewpoints along the Turnagain Arm.  We visited the Alaska Wildlife Conservation Center.  We spent time at various stops of natural beauty in Portage Valley.  

There are also Portage Glacier cruises, but we didn’t have time that day http://www.portageglaciercruises.com

There are guided hikes to Spencer Glacier in coordination with the Alaska Railroad https://www.alaskarailroad.com/travel-planning/destinations/spencer-glacier-whistle-stop

Happy Sailing!

Edited by syesmar