Cruise Critic Community
Joeghartman

When the prices fall....

I’m sure it has been asked a ton, but I just need a little bit of advice. Sailing on the bliss  August 12... originally booked an inside gty for $1399.  Balcony prices dropped about a month ago and upgraded to that for $360 for the two of us. 

I know notice the balcony rooms dropped to $1199, while mini suites have not dropped below their $1799 price drop from earlier.  Has anyone have any luck with customer service? Can they offer OBC for the price difference or should I just be happy and move on? I am very thrilled to have a balcony room on an Alaskan cruise for an affordable price.

since it is after final payment and the cruise is like a month away, you are SOL..be happy and move on 

Honestly, I'd be happy and move on -- asking for OBC has always seemed rather bold to me. Keep watching prices in case the mini-suite prices do drop.

25 minutes ago, dcipjr said:

Honestly, I'd be happy and move on -- asking for OBC has always seemed rather bold to me. Keep watching prices in case the mini-suite prices do drop.

Thats my plan.  Sorry, didn’t want to come off as a bitter customer that feels ripped off. I agreed to the price I paid and it doesn’t change any  excitement and anticipation I have for this sailing.

Call NCL, you may get 25% of the difference as OBC. It never hurts to ask.

15 minutes ago, Joeghartman said:

Thats my plan.  Sorry, didn’t want to come off as a bitter customer that feels ripped off. I agreed to the price I paid and it doesn’t change any  excitement and anticipation I have for this sailing.

It never hurts to call and ask.  Cordial and polite conversation is part of the pricing strategy and I'm sure expected by NCL.  However, if no better offer made, you're right.  We purchase originally when we see what we consider to be fair value for us.   With practically every cruise there will be some last minute fire sale offers made assuming the ship hasn't been filled already.   But, like hotel and airlines, that doesn't mean that all previous purchases for a day or flight will now get the fire sale price refund.  But hey, give them a call and after explaining you know you're not entitled to anything and pretty darn happy already,  any chance they can sweeten the pot just a bit.       And......yes, you'll love a balcony over an inside!   

Edited by roger001

I was able to call and pay the difference between what I paid and what a better cabin is being charged for now and upgraded from a guaranteed balcony to a mini-suite with large balcony for $250 total (2 people). 

Edited by fastpitchdad

Philosophy for cruising is always be polite and it never hurts to ask. “I was 

wondering if it is possible to .....just fill in what you want.”  In any negotiation, I always decide first what I would accept and understand that it may not happen.

Last cruise I booked, Bliss this September, asked if we could get upgraded internet package with booking. No was the reply but offered OBC of $100 each.  So, sometimes you may get something you did not expect. 

Sorry to hijack the thread, but if you're greater than 120 days out and notice a price drop, can you request a price adjustment? Booked through a big national warehouse travel agent. Thanks

Are TAs able to call NCL and ask for a room upgrade if it's the same exact value? My IC is $300 cheaper than a Balcony and gives the extra perks. I don't even care about perks/credit back, but would love a possible room upgrade since bidding has failed me for anything better. I bid almost 3 months ago and haven't heard anything. We sail out in 5 days 😞

1 hour ago, Cariot said:

Are TAs able to call NCL and ask for a room upgrade if it's the same exact value? My IC is $300 cheaper than a Balcony and gives the extra perks. I don't even care about perks/credit back, but would love a possible room upgrade since bidding has failed me for anything better. I bid almost 3 months ago and haven't heard anything. We sail out in 5 days 😞

Yes, they can. I’ve had this done successfully several times.

3 hours ago, CruisinKJ said:

Sorry to hijack the thread, but if you're greater than 120 days out and notice a price drop, can you request a price adjustment? Booked through a big national warehouse travel agent. Thanks

Yes.

14 hours ago, Joeghartman said:

I’m sure it has been asked a ton, but I just need a little bit of advice. Sailing on the bliss  August 12... originally booked an inside gty for $1399.  Balcony prices dropped about a month ago and upgraded to that for $360 for the two of us. 

I know notice the balcony rooms dropped to $1199, while mini suites have not dropped below their $1799 price drop from earlier.  Has anyone have any luck with customer service? Can they offer OBC for the price difference or should I just be happy and move on? I am very thrilled to have a balcony room on an Alaskan cruise for an affordable price.

I would just be satisfied with what you have. Think of it this way, you got more than you bargained for already. You were happy when you were able to get a balcony so stop watching the prices and be content with that balcony. It is a great deal. There is no way they will upgrade you again but it is possibly worth a try to get a small OBC. Again, I would not bother. 

6 hours ago, CruisinKJ said:

If you're before final payment, and you don't have some kind of unusual contract with a travel agent, the lower price is always available to you if you ask.   It is no different than canceling and rebooking.  However, in getting a lower price, be sure any previous additional benefits are still available now, or if you lose them be sure the total previous value isn't actually reduced by rebooking.   

Booked last week on the Jade a Med cruise for June 20; prices dropped by 12% since then. I called this morning to get the new price and had a nice travel consultant I know from a long time ago and she said nothing she can do; If I cancel and rebook, I would loose the downpayment. Strange way to punish faithful customers !!

16 hours ago, zqvol said:

Call NCL, you may get 25% of the difference as OBC. It never hurts to ask.

Agree.  I remember reading a thread where people were doing this (I think).

29 minutes ago, Chrocruiser said:

Booked last week on the Jade a Med cruise for June 20; prices dropped by 12% since then. I called this morning to get the new price and had a nice travel consultant I know from a long time ago and she said nothing she can do; If I cancel and rebook, I would loose the downpayment. Strange way to punish faithful customers !!

Maybe it’s because you are in Switzerland? I know I have called and got price adjustments before final payment and have called to upgrade my room because a higher catagory room was the same as what I was paying. I actually just sent  the travel agent an email today asking for them to adjust my price for a sailing for next year. 

I do not see why my country of residence should interfere in a simple customer recognition. The new rate is also valid for swiss residents therefore I just do not see why I cannot make use of it ..... lack of customer orientation for sure which a lot of fellow cruisers feel also in the past months ! we are talking of one week interval worth 640 EUR.... I am truly disappointed. 

I'm always kind of surprised that people won't even try to call to see if NCL (or any cruise line) will give something back, an unpgrade, or OBC if this happens. The worst thing that you gave up is a little time (just put your phone on speaker and read a book or something) and hearing no. $1 saved imo is better than $1 thrown out if all it took was a little bit of effort to call (you don't even have to get out of bed to do this, and can do it on the toilet!). Don't be afraid of "looking cheap". It's your hard earned $. 

I would call Joe. 

On 7/15/2019 at 2:44 PM, Joeghartman said:

Have always heard they will do one adjustment/upgrade after final payment and that is it. 

On 7/15/2019 at 2:44 PM, Joeghartman said:

Call and ask.  Worst they can do is say sorry, best they can do is match or OBC you.  🙂

Normally I would just say you are only out a little time, but the hold time can be about an hour...LOL. 

On 7/16/2019 at 10:30 AM, Chrocruiser said:

I do not see why my country of residence should interfere in a simple customer recognition. The new rate is also valid for swiss residents therefore I just do not see why I cannot make use of it ..... lack of customer orientation for sure which a lot of fellow cruisers feel also in the past months ! we are talking of one week interval worth 640 EUR.... I am truly disappointed. 

NCL deposits are refundable until final payment is due. Check with your Travel Agent, losing your deposit might be their rule, not NCL’s. 

On 7/17/2019 at 12:44 PM, rtkenmore said:

Have always heard they will do one adjustment/upgrade after final payment and that is it. 

My experience also, as late as June of this year.

We got the OBC. All categories above were sold out, except for the Haven, which was available for a paid upgrade.