Trying to figure out charging tech for cruise on The Breeze

Sersee

So I had asked in a post before about charging and was told some awesome information. I thought I remembered being told that usb ports tend not to be surge protected.  We have a lot of people and lots of things to be plugged in and charged. 

I learned from Cheng which European adapter I can  use and had planned on using it for our USB hub. But everyone I find says something like this:   

• Certified Safe: Anker's MultiProtect safety system ensures complete protection for you and your devices.   

Does this mean it IS surge protected?  I was going to use the US plug with an extension cord for my husbands CPAP , hair dryers, curlers , etc.  I thought about getting a simple and cheap multi plug for that one but I think I need it to go up and down so I can use the European one as well.

Does anyone know of some usb hubs only that are not surge protected? I don't want to be a hazard on the ship. I found some old posts with suggestions but when I click on the link , it isn't there.

Does anyone have a picture of The Breeze plugs?  It would be helpful in choosing something.  I googled it but am never sure if it is a true picture on the Breeze.

Thanks so much guys!!

3 hours ago, Essiesmom said:

You did not read my post. I know I don’t need surge protection. I’m saying that the multi port hubs talk about safety systems ... which from other posts I read mean they Could be surge protected. 

I will check out the one you sent and see if it has any of the same wording. It says this:

Safe and Energy Efficient

Certified according to UL60950-1, the AmazonBasics USB Wall Charger features an internal safety switch for ultimate protection of connected mobile devices. In fact, the wall charger comes with multiple safety protections, from premium-grade components to strict testing and automatic shutoff function in case a short-circuit happens at the output. It also meets the latest DOE Level VI requirements for energy efficiency.

Does that mean it has surge protection?

Edited by Sersee

3 hours ago, Sersee said:

You did not read my post. I know I don’t need surge protection. I’m saying that the multi port hubs talk about safety systems ... which from other posts I read mean they Could be surge protected. 

I will check out the one you sent and see if it has any of the same wording. It says this:

Certified according to UL60950-1, the AmazonBasics USB Wall Charger features an internal safety switch for ultimate protection of connected mobile devices. In fact, the wall charger comes with multiple safety protections, from premium-grade components to strict testing and automatic shutoff function in case a short-circuit happens at the output. It also meets the latest DOE Level VI requirements for energy efficiency.

Nope.  That is merely a circuit breaker, and most USB chargers have over-voltage protection, which some manufacturers claim to be surge protection, when it isn't.  Here's the best clue.  If the USB hub has a plug with only two prongs on it (most "pure" USB hubs are this way), then it can't be surge protected.  Most of Anker's "pure" USB devices (no power outlets, just USB) are not surge protected.

• Like 3

24 minutes ago, chengkp75 said:

Nope.  That is merely a circuit breaker, and most USB chargers have over-voltage protection, which some manufacturers claim to be surge protection, when it isn't.  Here's the best clue.  If the USB hub has a plug with only two prongs on it (most "pure" USB hubs are this way), then it can't be surge protected.  Most of Anker's "pure" USB devices (no power outlets, just USB) are not surge protected.

Perfect! Thank you!!!

To add in, the USB plugs on some ships lamps won't handle the newer rapid charge devices. The phone will complain and say to plug in elsewhere.

As for the european adapters, we use one that has 2 usb outlets on it. But it gets hot with 2 devices plugged in so it's really just one extra usb plug. As for getting a small european 220vac to 120v adapter, beware. It changes the plug layout but it is still 220vAC. This is OK for some devices, and sudden death for others.

Surge Protector

A voltage spike is a short upsurge of voltage intensity that occurs when a surge sustains longer voltage intensity. A power strip, which is sometimes mistaken for a surge protector, uses a male electrical plug outlet and may or may not have a built-in surge protector. Most power strips are clearly labeled. 

• A zener diode protects against common circuit spikes and is sometimes combined with a transient voltage suppression diode.
  • A metal oxide varistor (MOV) is thermal fused and limits voltage three to four times that of a regular current. Parallel MOV connections expand life expectancy and increase current capacity. If exposed to many large transients or numerous small transients, MOVA metal oxide varistor (MOV) is thermal fused and limits voltage three to four times that of a regular current. Parallel MOV connections expand life expectancy and increase current capacity. If exposed to many large transients or numerous small transients, MOVs can self-destruct.
  • Most all inexpensive, surge protectors use just the MOVs. If they self-destruct the unit no longer provides any protection. There is usually no indication of failure. Some do have an LED that turns from green to red to indicate failure.

19 minutes ago, twodaywonder said:

Surge Protector

A voltage spike is a short upsurge of voltage intensity that occurs when a surge sustains longer voltage intensity. power strip, which is sometimes mistaken for a surge protector, uses a male electrical plug outlet and may or may not have a built-in surge protector. Most power strips are clearly labeled.

I've never seen anyone on these boards mistake a power strip for a surge protector. The concern is typically whether or not a power strip has surge protection or not. Some devices on Amazon, for example, will not be listed as being surge protected, at least not obviously, but if you read more closely, they in fact are. Vice versa, the OP showed an example of information about a product that could be confused for surge protection, but it isn't. Usually basic knowledge is enough to find the right one, but occasionally the seller makes it more difficult when advertising how safe their product is. We're not all electricians.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, wms99 said:

To add in, the USB plugs on some ships lamps won't handle the newer rapid charge devices. The phone will complain and say to plug in elsewhere.

As for the european adapters, we use one that has 2 usb outlets on it. But it gets hot with 2 devices plugged in so it's really just one extra usb plug. As for getting a small european 220vac to 120v adapter, beware. It changes the plug layout but it is still 220vAC. This is OK for some devices, and sudden death for others.

I was just going to get  the european adapter type E  that does not convert 

11 minutes ago, Organized Chaos said:

I've never seen anyone on these boards mistake a power strip for a surge protector. The concern is typically whether or not a power strip has surge protection or not. Some devices on Amazon, for example, will not be listed as being surge protected, at least not obviously, but if you read more closely, they in fact are. Vice versa, the OP showed an example of information about a product that could be confused for surge protection, but it isn't. Usually basic knowledge is enough to find the right one, but occasionally the seller makes it more difficult when advertising how safe their product is. We're not all electricians.

Took this from a different post. 

20190714_135031.jpg

2 hours ago, Sersee said:

I was just going to get  the european adapter type E  that does not convert 

Why, the receptors in the cabin are U.S. We use this and have your years, it's NOT surge protected even though it says it is:

https://www.homedepot.com/p/4-ft-6-Outlet-Power-Strip-Surge-Protector-with-45-Angle-Plug-YLPT-90/203353677 it's a simple power strip

23 hours ago, Sersee said:

no, it means it has overchrage protection so that it doesn't over charge your device(s). this part "automatic shutoff function in case a short-circuit happens at the output." it speaks to OUTPUT, because you are outputting a charge to a device. INPUT protection would recognize surges which would make it "surge protected" which these charging hubs are not.

word of advice, never plug your device (phones) into a USB port directly anywhere (airport, public place, cruise ship, etc). always plug your USB charger into an electrical plug device (charger block or charger hub). devices can be sniffed when connected to a network via USB directly and not via a charger that has a USB port on it.

19 minutes ago, coevan said:

Why, the receptors in the cabin are U.S. We use this and have your years, it's NOT surge protected even though it says it is:

https://www.homedepot.com/p/4-ft-6-Outlet-Power-Strip-Surge-Protector-with-45-Angle-Plug-YLPT-90/203353677 it's a simple power strip

I’m utilizing both outlets. I have a European adapter that I’m plugging my usb hub into specifically for electronics. Then for the us plug using an extension cord . This is for the cpap  , hair dryer etc. I may make it a multi plug so i can have two extension cords so I can use my fan.... maybe something like you suggested coevan

1 hour ago, CA_Cruzing said:

word of advice, never plug your device (phones) into a USB port directly anywhere (airport, public place, cruise ship, etc). always plug your USB charger into an electrical plug device (charger block or charger hub). devices can be sniffed when connected to a network via USB directly and not via a charger that has a USB port on it.

Good advice.  My solution is to take a 20,000mAh USB power bank (battery) that has two 2.4A USB output charging ports.  I recharge the mobile devices from the power bank without tying up any electrical outlets for "wall wart" chargers.  When the power pack is not being used to recharge mobile devices, I recharge it from one of the USB ports provided in the cabin.  Don't need to worry about about my power bank being hacked, since it has no data.

54 minutes ago, TomCruise48 said:

Good advice.  My solution is to take a 20,000mAh USB power bank (battery) that has two 2.4A USB output charging ports.  I recharge the mobile devices from the power bank without tying up any electrical outlets for "wall wart" chargers.  When the power pack is not being used to recharge mobile devices, I recharge it from one of the USB ports provided in the cabin.  Don't need to worry about about my power bank being hacked, since it has no data.

I have a similar 20,000 mAh Power Bank, but only one output is 2.4 A .

My tablet goes there, and a typically a Fire reader or phone  goes on the 1A.

My kicker is that I have a European 2 prong adapter that the wart goes into and I recharge the Bank while it is charging the devices. Frees up the US 110V outlets.

Been doing this for years, and no negative impact on the Bank that I can tell.

gary

I’m using and anker  4 port usb hub plugged into my European adapter. Our phones and iPads should be ok? 

Im just figuring out which plug i want for the us or if just an extension cord... hubby needs extension cord for cpap though. Probably wouldn’t be nice to unplug it for my fan😂

38 minutes ago, Sersee said:

I’m using and anker  4 port usb hub plugged into my European adapter. Our phones and iPads should be ok? 

Im just figuring out which plug i want for the us or if just an extension cord... hubby needs extension cord for cpap though. Probably wouldn’t be nice to unplug it for my fan😂

I don't think you need to worry about what CA_Cruzing was talking about. I don't think the USB ports in the cabins are connected to any network, just power. There are plain ole electrical outlets that also have USB ports incorporated into them. They're not connected to a network, they just have power running to them for charging, not for connecting to a network. I'm willing to bet that this is the case in the cabins. In fact, some cabins on some ships have bedside lamps with built-in USB ports for charging. Those lamps have nothing to do with networks of any kind.

We don't use USB hubs or anything like that. I don't have anything against them, we just don't mess with them. I always take a long extension cord (9-10 ft.) and a 3-way adapter, like this...

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSIJwtLZAXvlAEbh58ein3

I plug the adapter into the wall outlet, use two of the plugs for charging at the desk and run my extension cord off of the third plug. Then use the cord for my fan, or whatever. You could use one of these adapters, but instead of plugging it into the wall, you could plug it into the end of your extension cord. That way you could plug in the CPAP and your fan at the same time. They make those adapters in a straight line like the one I show here, or there's also some in a "T" shape or a cube shape. Both of those have one plug on the front and one on either side. But to do it this way, with the adapter plugged into the extension cord, you'd need a cord that accepts the 3-pronged adapter. Otherwise, you might have to take two extension cords, one for CPAP and one for the fan. Which wouldn't be so bad because an extension cord is easy enough to transport.

Ignore at your own peril. I have confidential data on my phone. I cannot take any risk. 

“Plugging into a public USB port is kind of like finding a toothbrush on the side of the road and deciding to stick it in your mouth. You have no idea where that thing has been,” says Caleb Barlow, Vice President of X-Force Threat Intelligence at IBM Security.  “And remember that that USB port can pass data.”

https://www.forbes.com/sites/suzannerowankelleher/2019/05/21/why-you-should-never-use-airport-usb-charging-stations/#5e17de795955

Your reply is as good as, she’s hot, and she’s probably disease free too. No risk in hooking up with her, as she’d never contract or pass any diseases on to me. 

Kinda like this too.  You’re always safe wherever you are. 

“Chris and Dana White say that they were on the Carnival Fantasy in October 2017 when they spotted some type of device among TV wires that was aimed at their bed, according to Inside Edition, which was scheduled to broadcast their story Monday night. The couple is from Pensacola, according to Newsweek.com

https://www.sun-sentinel.com/travel/fl-fea-florida-couple-found-hidden-camera-carnival-cruise-ship-20181029-story.html

5 hours ago, TomCruise48 said:

I always charge my phone and iPad from my battery pack and never use public ports. And I recharge my battery through my rapid charger to top it off as quickly as possible. 

Carnival isn't going to run data lines to the outlets in all of the cabins. That's why devices can only be connected to their network via Wifi. Even though I can't say I'm 100% certain unless I remove the outlet cover and inspect it for a data line, I'm still confident in saying it's just power ran to them. With only electrical power going to these outlets, all they do is charge. There is no data transfer. So Carnival isn't installing malware on our devices to steal our data.

The story about the couple finding the camera has no relevance on the discussion about USB ports. A spy camera is a whole different beast.

The article you linked to clearly states that the public charging station has to be compromised in some way. Or you'd have to use something like an already compromised accessory (the hacked charging cord left behind by the bad guys, for example). So for this to be a danger aboard a cruise ship, the bad guys would've had to have compromised the outlet in the cabin beforehand. Sure, I'd recommend caution when using public charging stations at airports and whatnot, but I think they're perfectly safe in cruise ship cabins. Believe it or not, I'm a big proponent of cyber-security and privacy, but this is a pretty big stretch.

19 minutes ago, Organized Chaos said:

Sure, I'd recommend caution when using public charging stations at airports and whatnot, but I think they're perfectly safe in cruise ship cabins. Believe it or not, I'm a big proponent of cyber-security and privacy, but this is a pretty big stretch.

Do as you wish. It's your data that you need to protect. 

The TV hijack link I posted was to exemplify that any room can be hacked, including USB ports.

Feel free to manage and protect your data as you deem fit but let others decide for themselves whether to trust or protect their data as they see fit. A few simple steps can isolate your data and remove you from compromising situations.

Anyone who works with confidential data has operating protocols and procedures. My company has strict SOPs in place and I choose to follow them because the exposure for not following them will cost me substantial time and economic loss.

Others can choose for themselves, as this OP was asking for methodology and input. I believe the OP is now well educated on options and tactics.