Visit to Schwerin Castle from Warnemunde

aqua

We had previously visited Berlin and Rostock so we decided to visit Schwerin Castle. We had a wonderful day and thought other cruisers might be interested in our experience.  Before we left home, I emailed Schwerin Castle to ask for train station information. Here is the link to the castle website: https://www.schwerin.com/en/attractions-and-sights/schwerin-castle/

After making the short walk to the Warnemunde train station, we purchased round trip tickets to Rostock Hbf and Schwerin Mitte. It is necessary to change trains at Rostock Hbf. The tickets cost around 10 euros each.  Purchasing the tickets was a little confusing because the castle had told us to go to the station called "Hauptbahnhof Schwerin” but the clerk told us to buy the tickets for “Schwerin Mitte.” It took us about 90 minutes to travel to Rostock, wait for the Schwerin train, and go to Schwerin. We decided to exit the train at “Schwerin Hbf.”

Once off the train, we asked several people for directions, then made the 20 minute walk from the train station to Schwerin Castle.  We found that most people were not fluent in English, therefore communicating was a little challenging. The scenic walk takes you past a small lake and through a quaint town where there are numerous cafes and shops.  We spent about 4 hours visiting the Castle and eating lunch in town. There were several places with very reasonable prices for sandwiches and drinks. We had to be aware of our time as the trains to Rostock were at approximately 13:45, 15:45 and 17:45. 

Schwerin Castle is beautiful and visiting it was great fun.  However, since we do not speak German, it may have been helpful if we had brought a German translation about where we wanted to go. We are glad we went!

• Like 2

• 1 month later...

As a history buff, this beautiful residence of the Dukes of Mecklenburg was also on my bucket list. The castle is simply amazing with its marquetry floors, marble columns and gilded cast iron doors. There is also the Cathedral Tower which you can climb and enjoy a great view over the city of Schwerin. In the forest, many hiking and cycling trails where you can see rare plants and animals and this makes it even more perfect for nature lovers. Lots of things to see and do!

We are staying Berlin pre-cruise and taking a train into Warnemunde the day of boarding.  At this point, the earliest train would get us into Warnemunde around 10:30am.  So, if we were in Warnemunde before noon, given the 90 minute train trip each way, would you recommend doing this.  The ship leaves at 9:00pm so we would aim to get back to the ship no later than 7:00pm.

25 minutes ago, Anubi said:

So, if we were in Warnemunde before noon, given the 90 minute train trip each way, would you recommend doing this.  The ship leaves at 9:00pm so we would aim to get back to the ship no later than 7:00pm.

Will you check-in aboard ship and then take the trek to Schwerin? If it was my decision, I would go for it. You should have plenty of time to visit the castle and snoop about town a bit before returning to your ship.

1 hour ago, dogs4fun said:

Will you check-in aboard ship and then take the trek to Schwerin? If it was my decision, I would go for it. You should have plenty of time to visit the castle and snoop about town a bit before returning to your ship.

Yes, that would be the plan.  Thanks for the encouragement.  Its looks like an amazing place to visit.  🙂 

• 4 weeks later...

It’s hard to say because it depends on what you like.   We spent about 1.5 hours inside the castle and another hour in the gardens.  The grounds are beautiful and we did not see everything.  We also enjoyed the quaint town.   However the round-trip from the port took several hours and we were not aware of a lot of other things to do in Schwerin.  Part of the fun was taking the train and  finding our way.  

6 hours ago, buffy9678 said:

Is Schwerin Castle worth traveling to on a Monday when the inside is closed? 

The grounds and the castle setting are stunning but "worth visiting" depends on whether or not you want to see the castle's interior. There are some other worthwhile sights in Schwerin which include Schwerin Cathedral, the open air museum (Freilichtmuseum) https://www.schwerin.de/kultur-tourismus/kunst-kultur/bildende-kunst-museen/freilichtmuseum-schwerin-muess/,  St. Nikolai church, visit Schwerin's Schelfstadt quarter  & you can also take a boat tour around Schwerin lake.

1 hour ago, CrazyJess said:

Hi! Do they have audio guides? Or do they have any tours we can join to? I’ve never been to Schwerin Castle and I just dream to see it. We plan  DIY trip. Thanks!

Jess

You can rent an audio guide (2 euro per person) or join one of the daily tours - tour schedule is below:

https://www.schwerin.com/en/attractions-and-sights/schwerin-castle/guided-tours/

Edited by dogs4fun

3 hours ago, CrazyJess said:

Thank you dogs4fun! Very useful info! Shall we buy tickets to those daily tours on the place or shall we book them in advance? I just afraid to come and to see that all the tickets are already sold out.

Thank you. Jess.

Honestly, we have never witnessed the castle so crowded that tourists were turned away. However, we don't visit during the height of the summer - we travel during shoulder seasons.

If you plan on renting just an audio guide, there would be no need to book in advance. If you want a guided tour, it couldn't hurt to book in advance to ensure that an English speaking guide is available on the date/time of your visit - particularly if you are visiting during the height of the tourist season. There are several public guided tours offered in English daily - I really don't think that you would need to reserve these in advance.

I would recommend that you contact them and inquire: info@schloss-schwerin.de 

If you do reserve, make sure to use the official website here:

https://www.schwerin.com/en/attractions-and-sights/schwerin-castle/

Edited by dogs4fun

Thank you! I also prefer to travel during shoulder seasons. This October was excellent for South Italy :))) I think I will follow your advise and won’t reserve anything in advance. I think one of public guided tours will be a good compromise for us.  

Jess

• 2 months later...
1 hour ago, LondonTowner said:

I sent an email to the castle, but they never replied. Does anybody happen to know how accessible it is? Thanks.

How frustrating! I don't recall seeing any lifts in the castle but I really was not looking for a lift and, unfortunately, I can't answer for certain.. Did you try this email: info@schwerin.info

The castle is listed as barrier-free on this site: https://www.germany.travel/en/barrier-free-travel/barrier-free-travel/travel-destinations/palaces-parks-and-gardens/schwerin-castle.html

https://www.germany.travel/en/ms/barrier-free-germany/where-to-go/where-to-go.html

Edited by dogs4fun

54 minutes ago, LondonTowner said:

I sent an email to the castle, but they never replied. Does anybody happen to know how accessible it is? Thanks.

Hi, the restored Ducal living areas are open to the public and there are lifts to every floor but I do not know how difficult it would be getting around the rooms with a wheelchair for instance.  There is plenty of good information about the Castle on https://www.schwerin.com/en/attractions-and-sights/schwerin-castle/

Happy planning and cruising :classic_smile:

Anni

www.travelanni.webs.com

37 minutes ago, dogs4fun said:

How frustrating! I don't recall seeing any lifts in the castle but I really was not looking for a lift and, unfortunately, I can't answer for certain.. Did you try this email: info@schwerin.info

The castle is listed as barrier-free on this site: https://www.germany.travel/en/barrier-free-travel/barrier-free-travel/travel-destinations/palaces-parks-and-gardens/schwerin-castle.html

https://www.germany.travel/en/ms/barrier-free-germany/where-to-go/where-to-go.html

Yes, that was where I sent the email. Thanks for your info and reply.