Postmodern Jukebox On Deck on Rotterdam

iflyrc5

In the mail today I received a promotion booklet from HAL for holiday cruises that talks about a musical group "Postmodern Jukebox On Deck" and states they are currently on the Rotterdam.  It stated that "they are bringing the excitement and glamour of their show to sea with two unique performances created exclusively for HAL".  Just wondering if anyone has witnessed these shows and what you thought.  We will be on the Rotterdam in October so they may have moved on by then.

We saw it on the Koningsdam in February.  It depends on your taste (you can google & see it).  Lots of people were walking out after about 10-15 minutes.  We stayed until the end but we didn’t like the performance.  Others did though.  

4 minutes ago, canadianbear said:

We saw it on the Koningsdam in February.  It depends on your taste (you can google & see it).  Lots of people were walking out after about 10-15 minutes.  We stayed until the end but we didn’t like the performance.  Others did though.  

What kind of music did they have?

Why did you walk out?

We didn’t walk out.  I wanted to give it a fair chance.  They’ve got lots of stuff on the internet and YouTube.  Just didn’t like the style.  

Basically modern songs with a vintage twist. 

Edited by canadianbear

1 hour ago, canadianbear said:

They must have come on late in February.  We were on the KDam through Feb 24th and didn't see them.

6 minutes ago, iflyrc5 said:

They must have come on late in February.  We were on the KDam through Feb 24th and didn't see them.

Yes.  It was the 10 day starting February 24.  Our son and DIL were also with us and did not enjoy the performance.  

I have never before seen that many people walk out on a performance on a ship.  It’s a shame-I would never do that (unless vulgar) as I know how hard performers prepare.  

• Like 1

1 minute ago, canadianbear said:

Yes.  It was the 10 day starting February 24.  Our son and DIL were also with us and did not enjoy the performance.  

I have never before seen that many people walk out on a performance on a ship.  It’s a shame-I would never do that (unless vulgar) as I know how hard performers prepare.  

1 minute ago, canadianbear said:

I just went on their website and one of their groups is performing in Indianapolis next week.

On the KDam in January the female comedian got very dirty with many 4 letter words and half of the audience walked out.  A large group of us went right to the front desk to complain.  Don't know why the CD didn't stop the show as he was back stage hearing all of it.  At a coffee chat with the HD the next day he apologized to the audience for what had happened.

12 minutes ago, iflyrc5 said:

On the KDam in January the female comedian got very dirty with many 4 letter words and half of the audience walked out.  A large group of us went right to the front desk to complain.  Don't know why the CD didn't stop the show as he was back stage hearing all of it.  At a coffee chat with the HD the next day he apologized to the audience for what had happened.

I was on the same cruise with you in January with a girlfriend (yes, I did the same cruise in February with family!!) and I heard about that.  I’m thankful we didn’t go to that comedian-I would have walked out too.  I did hear the later performance was changed.

1 hour ago, cowmilker said:

I absolutely love PMJ.  I'd be on the front row.

It's just different stuff for different people.

And I swear, a lot.  So I wouldn't be offended in the slightest by swearing.

It was more than swearing - it was a lot of vulgar and sex related language.  Certainly not family friendly and we did have about 6 kids in the audience.  The CD should have stopped the show.

5 hours ago, iflyrc5 said:

I just went on their website and one of their groups is performing in Indianapolis next week.

I can't believe they booked a comedian like that.   I'm glad people walked out and complained.  It's a slippery slope as the world gets more vulgar every day.

1 hour ago, Krazy Kruizers said:

Thank you all for explaining the "Postmodern Jukebox on Deck".

This does not sound like anything we would like.

Give it a chance.  We saw it on Oosterdam in April.  I had no clue what it was about.  We weren't crazy about the 1st show, but the 2nd one was much better because I knew most of the songs.  First time, I only recognized about 10% of the songs.  My 16 year-old cousin, who is very active in drama/glee club, loved it.  Her parents hated it, both times.  Yes, a lot of people were leaving, but we stayed, simply because there wasn't anything else going on at the time.  I know, I know. . .a lame reason to stay.  

Having said all that, I probably won't attend another performance.  Been there, done that, don't wish to repeat it.

The one show I did want them to see was the BBC Earth (this was their first cruise with HAL), but they showed that during the evening we were in San Juan.  We were on the bio-bay tour, so they never got to experience this wonderful show.  

We are on Rotterdam in February. We love jazz and swing music.

I went to the videos after someone mentioned it. I think the singers had great voices. Sure, I  may not know some of the songs but then again I do not know or like all songs on released record either. I certainly hope they will be onboard.

• Like 1

58 minutes ago, pete_coach said:

We are on Rotterdam in February. We love jazz and swing music.

I went to the videos after someone mentioned it. I think the singers had great voices. Sure, I  may not know some of the songs but then again I do not know or like all songs on released record either. I certainly hope they will be onboard.

I actually thought I would love the performance but just didn’t.  However, I hope everyone gives it a try when offered on the ship as you never know.   It was not because the singers didn’t have good voices-they certainly did.  

• Like 1

11 hours ago, iflyrc5 said:

It was more than swearing - it was a lot of vulgar and sex related language.  Certainly not family friendly and we did have about 6 kids in the audience.  The CD should have stopped the show.

Ah, well, thank you for clarifying that. It's hard to judge stuff like that without knowing exactly what was said, since what offends some people is not offensive at all to others (and vice versa, sometimes).  I suspect that some people would refer to me as "vulgar."  🙂

PMJ was on the Rotterdam last fall also.  They did two performances on one night.  Both performances were different, one I liked the other not so much.  The first show had a lot of current popular music, the second show featured a long tap dance sequence that wasn't preformed live it was all on a video screen.

• Thanks 1

Multiple CC members have asked "what genre of music are they performing" ?   60's, 70's, 80's, 90's, 00's, Rap, country..... please explain.   It's hard to understand when people say "I didn't like it and walked out", or "I loved it and want to see it again".   Provide some song titles, so we can determine what era they are performing.   That would go a long way in letting people know what kind of show it was.

• Thanks 1

Also saw both shows of PMJ on Oosterdam Panama Canal cruise in April 2019. Not a fan-- really miss the singer & dancer production shows.

Saw performance of Humanity (check out the description of this in new Mariner magazine) - different - again not a fan.  My vote bring the singers and dancers back!

18 minutes ago, TAD2005 said:

Multiple CC members have asked "what genre of music are they performing" ?   60's, 70's, 80's, 90's, 00's, Rap, country..... please explain.   It's hard to understand when people say "I didn't like it and walked out", or "I loved it and want to see it again".   Provide some song titles, so we can determine what era they are performing.   That would go a long way in letting people know what kind of show it was.

They would take original songs of an era - then perform as if a different era -- example 60's song sung in 40's era. Also they used video technology with the performance. Ex. projecting a dancer on a screen during song. Check out their U-tube videos to get a feel  of their program.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, cruisinteach2 said:

They would take original songs of an era - then perform as if a different era -- example 60's song sung in 40's era. Also they used video technology with the performance. Ex. projecting a dancer on a screen during song. Check out their U-tube videos to get a feel  of their program.

I did check them on YouTube. It appears most of the singers are female. They all had great voices but  I found the songs really boring. I can understand people walking out as I would probably fall asleep listening to them. Too bad as the performers seem very talented. 

3 minutes ago, josumello said:

I did check them on YouTube. It appears most of the singers are female. They all had great voices but  I found the songs really boring. I can understand people walking out as I would probably fall asleep listening to them. Too bad as the performers seem very talented. 

That's exactly my reaction -- boring.  Good voices, but I just didn't care for the music.  I will give them a chance, though, if I'm ever on a cruise that has PMJ.