Quebec City to Montreal - sightseeing - question

F02

My plan is to disembark in Quebec City and fly out of Montreal – for next year.

I could fly out as soon as possible but I could also extend my stay in the region for a few days. The question is, whether it is worth the extension. 

Having disembarked in Montreal twice so far and I always spent a few days there and twice I stopped in Quebec City where I took a walking tour and an excursion to the Montmorency Falls and some other places on the way. Last time I also stopped in Trois Rivieres, where I did a walking tour too.

I was wondering if anyone could recommend tours in Quebec City, an interesting trip to Montreal or sights in Montreal.

Thank you!

I can't answer your questions as we have never been to the region before, but I am interested in any answers you receive!  We are going to spend 3 nights in Montreal and then 3 nights in QC prior to our Snowbird Migration cruise this October.  We plan to take it easy while there, but so far have booked the HOHO two day sightseeing bus in Montreal in addition to a walking tour of Old Montreal.  We would be interested in any good places to "Hop Off" the bus!

In Quebec City We have a Visit a City One Day itinerary mapped out, mostly walking.  I have used Visit a City plans before (customized to our interests) and they are very good.  We have also booked a trip to the falls and the monastery with our Roll Call Group on Day 2 in town.  We are on the ship for an overnight after boarding.  We booked the Sugar Shack dinner and experience through the ship on the first night and then we have a walking food tour with our group on our Day 2 of the cruise, before leaving port.  IN QC I am most interested in "must see" places on our day on our own with the VAC plans.

It looks like a lot, but almost all can be changed, if needed.  Hopefully, you will find some really good options off things to do!

Hmmm - sounds like you have spent a few days in both Quebec City and Montreal, so I guess you're mostly concerned about different things to do than you've already done? Is there enough enough 'new stuff' for you to be worth spending extra time again, basically? I can't say as I have ever personally run out of things to do in either city after many visits, so I think it's a very safe bet you will be able to entertain yourself for another few days just fine - but not knowing what you've already done (Montmorency being the only specific site you mentioned) makes it hard to offer 'if you liked X you would probably like Y' suggestions...

Since you've done them both before though, what about changing things up by taking the train through to Toronto instead of Montreal? It's likely to give you a significant improvement in potential air routes, as well as exposing you to an even-larger city with a whole raft of totally-new things for you to do (unless of course you've already visited!) Ottawa is also pretty convenient to get to, and while it doesn't have as many flight options as Montreal it does have more than Quebec City - and it punches far above its population size in cultural sites especially since it's both the home of the federal government (thus the default location for any national museum or gallery on a theme) and spreads across from ON into QC (Gatineau) making it the most bicultural of Canada's cities and one of the most bilingual.

Thank you all.

Carolyn: I never thought of the Laurentians but that sounds interesting. Would you suggest that I drive myself or would you know of any tours?

Martincath: I thought of driving to Niagara Falls, but having been there, I dismissed the idea of driving back and forth from Montreal. I might however reconsider if going to Toronto. I spent a few hours at the airport in Toronto many years ago – after missing a connection somewhere else. But that hardly counts as a visit to the city. Therefore, that would be a completely new experience.

You both gave me some new ideas and I will study them more carefully.

Ginny: For Montreal, I am sure you are doing the right things. Last time I took the HOHO and stopped somewhere where I got a beautiful view of the foliage. But the view from the tour to the Montmorency Falls was equally good in that respect. So if you get it, fine, if not, never mind. On my first stop in Montreal, I also took a duck tour, but I do not remember it too well. That also was a few years ago.

Edited by F02
  • Like 1

First time to Laurentians in 1985 spoke no French, no GPS and my 14 year old son. I managed to navigate from Quebec City to Montreal and all the way around city, also used subway, but my friends in NC thought I was nuts! Area is so charming, little towns. Mt Tremblant,--- I think you'd be sorry to be on a tour unless it was a private tour. Just rent a car for a day or overnight if don't want to hassle with it in the city

Thank you Carolyn.

I will consider that drive as one of the many options that will make the final plan. It in any case makes sense to try this, which would be new to me, rather than repeating visits to sights I have already seen.

• 3 months later...

If you want to encounter (the hidden) Quebec culture you might want to look for an excursion that takes you for a "Cabane à Sucre (Sugar Shack) Experience"...

You will experience traditional live Québecois music and dancing, a very lively communal atmosphere (long tables) in a log cabin, and some of the most artery-clogging food you will EVER come across, mostly pork and maple-based, and are generally all-you-can-eat. Libations are also available, to loosen you up a bit. It's like an Irish Ceilidh, but in French.

I know some tour operators offer these excursions from the Old Port of Montreal (and I bet Quebec Port as well) year-round. Book your tour in advance, because most of these places are well outside the city, and are only open to everyone in the spring. This would be a special charter just for tourists.

Typical Menu:

• Cretons - akin to Haggus, a relative of Pâté
  • Soupe aux pois - Pea soup
  • Fèves au lard - Pork and Beans
  • Grillades de lard (oreilles de crisse) - Fried lard (translation: Christ's Ears)
  • La bajoue - pork cheek
  • Patates bouillies - Boiled Potatoes
  • Omelette
  • Jambon cuit dans l’eau d’érable - Ham in maple water 
  • Saucisses dans le sirop d’érable - sausages in maple syrup
  • Oeufs dans le sirop d’érable - Eggs in maple syrup
  • Marinades maison - Homestyle marinades
  • Pouding chômeur - A kind of bread pudding with maple syrup
  • Crêpes - Pancakes or Crepes
  • Tarte au sucre - sugar pie
  • Tire sur la neige - The classic ending - hot maple taffy poured on snow - you eat it with a popsicle stick.
Edited by Cruise Cynic

7 hours ago, Cruise Cynic said:

If you want to encounter (the hidden) Quebec culture you might want to look for an excursion that takes you for a "Cabane à Sucre (Sugar Shack) Experience"...

You will experience traditional live Québecois music and dancing, a very lively communal atmosphere (long tables) in a log cabin, and some of the most artery-clogging food you will EVER come across, mostly pork and maple-based, and are generally all-you-can-eat. Libations are also available, to loosen you up a bit. It's like an Irish Ceilidh, but in French.

I know some tour operators offer these excursions from the Old Port of Montreal (and I bet Quebec Port as well) year-round. Book your tour in advance, because most of these places are well outside the city, and are only open to everyone in the spring. This would be a special charter just for tourists.

Typical Menu:

• Cretons - akin to Haggus, a relative of Pâté
  • Soupe aux pois - Pea soup
  • Fèves au lard - Pork and Beans
  • Grillades de lard (oreilles de crisse) - Fried lard (translation: Christ's Ears)
  • La bajoue - pork cheek
  • Patates bouillies - Boiled Potatoes
  • Omelette
  • Jambon cuit dans l’eau d’érable - Ham in maple water 
  • Saucisses dans le sirop d’érable - sausages in maple syrup
  • Oeufs dans le sirop d’érable - Eggs in maple syrup
  • Marinades maison - Homestyle marinades
  • Pouding chômeur - A kind of bread pudding with maple syrup
  • Crêpes - Pancakes or Crepes
  • Tarte au sucre - sugar pie
  • Tire sur la neige - The classic ending - hot maple taffy poured on snow - you eat it with a popsicle stick.

We did the Sugar Shack experience in QC through the ship last month. It was a great time and a lot of fun. 

On 7/16/2019 at 4:18 AM, F02 said:

I was wondering if anyone could recommend tours in Quebec City, an interesting trip to Montreal or sights in Montreal.

Also very worthwhile-- about an hour and a half outside of Montreal-- would be a stay at the Fairmont Chateau Montebello along the Ottawa River. Lots of outside activities, very nice log cabin like grand hotel, and good food.