Ship tours question from a novice

beechwood

We are on a Mediterranean cruise with Riviera later this summer and, although we’ve travelled with Oceania several times before, have never taken a ship excursion.  The only reason we are considering them this time is that we have four “free” tours as part of the Oceania Ultimate package. Being from the UK, the cruise was sold with this package and there was no option to remove the benefits for a lower price with the exception of taking an air credit for the included air fare.

The question is can you go on a tour to a specific place and then elect not to take part in the organised  activities but instead do your own thing and then either return on the tour coach, if you’re done by departure time, or make your own way back on public transport.  In effect, we would be using the tour as a means of “free” transport to the destination but we would obviously advise the tour leader of our intentions on arrival.

This sounds like a situation where the Tour Guide, who gets paid to perform a service remember, probably could not officially say yes, but probably would be willing to look the other way (wink wink, nudge nudge),

That said, you would be going through a lot of trouble for very little gain in my opinion.  A taxi would be far more convenient, would not involve any subterfuge and in the Med we're usually talking about ten dollars or so for the fare.

The answer to the OP’s question is yes. The guides will typically tell their group where and at what time to meet up to either return to the ship or go to the next venue. People often choose to leave the larger group and visit sites on their own for a selection of reasons. I would recommend that if a venue is being visited that has a significant entry fee, you wait until you get into the venue before exploring on your own.

If you leave the group either temporarily or for good, always notify the Tour Guide of your intentions.

in some areas  they do offer tours  "On your Own"  where it is more like transport  to/from the city

EG: Florence/Rome/ Bruges

Look to see if they have those options  for your sailing

JMO

• Like 2

Many thanks for your replies. Not sure about a $10 taxi fare getting you very far anywhere in Europe as our only previous experience (we usually use public transport or just walk) was a €20 fare for a 10 minute trip from our Barcelona hotel to the cruise port!  Anyway, the only on your own ship’s tour is to Florence which we have seen several times so don’t want to revisit  but there are two other tours which we will use just for the transport facility either both or one way.  We will, of course, let the tour leader know our intentions when we arrive at the destination!

On 7/16/2019 at 5:57 AM, beechwood said:

We are on a Mediterranean cruise with Riviera later this summer and, although we’ve travelled with Oceania several times before, have never taken a ship excursion.  The only reason we are considering them this time is that we have four “free” tours as part of the Oceania Ultimate package. Being from the UK, the cruise was sold with this package and there was no option to remove the benefits for a lower price with the exception of taking an air credit for the included air fare.

The question is can you go on a tour to a specific place and then elect not to take part in the organised  activities but instead do your own thing and then either return on the tour coach, if you’re done by departure time, or make your own way back on public transport.  In effect, we would be using the tour as a means of “free” transport to the destination but we would obviously advise the tour leader of our intentions on arrival.

Yes.... but as you suggest   tell the guide/leader where it is you intend to leave the tour.     I have done it  left a tour in Istanbul that the next stop was the carpet factory...( sales)  we left to wander the  markets and got back to the ship ok....        Just tell someone.

1 hour ago, Hawaiidan said:

Yes.... but as you suggest   tell the guide/leader where it is you intend to leave the tour.     I have done it  left a tour in Istanbul that the next stop was the carpet factory...( sales)  we left to wander the  markets and got back to the ship ok....        Just tell someone.

Doing as Hawaiidan and others have suggested is a good option, that is leaving tours part way through and getting back to the ship on their own. My pet peeve is when folks leave structured tours to do things on their own and say they will meet the tour at the end to ride back to the ship. All good if they do so as instructed, but many times these "on their own" types get confused or are inconsiderate and do not reunite with the group at the agreed time and place. Many guides make an effort to be "considerate" to these insensitive or confused stragglers and wait for them past the agreed upon time thus causing inconvenience and frustration for the rest of the group.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, edgee said:

Many guides make an effort to be "considerate" to these insensitive or confused stragglers and wait for them past the agreed upon time thus causing inconvenience and frustration for the rest of the group.

I hear you. It is one of the most inconsiderate things people can do on tours - group or private - and most annoying for those sitting on the bus waiting for the stragglers. I wish more guides would set strict limits ahead of the time and explain how long they would wait (10 minutes would be max IMO) and then just leave. The offenders just might learn the limits and learn their lesson the hard way.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, edgee said:

Doing as Hawaiidan and others have suggested is a good option, that is leaving tours part way through and getting back to the ship on their own. My pet peeve is when folks leave structured tours to do things on their own and say they will meet the tour at the end to ride back to the ship. All good if they do so as instructed, but many times these "on their own" types get confused or are inconsiderate and do not reunite with the group at the agreed time and place. Many guides make an effort to be "considerate" to these insensitive or confused stragglers and wait for them past the agreed upon time thus causing inconvenience and frustration for the rest of the group.

my pet peeve & why we no longer do ship's tours 

those that are told to back ON the bus at  a specific time but choose to spend just more time shopping  at each stop  so by the end of the day you have to miss a sight to be back to the ship on time

BUY A WATCH  & use it ..that's  what OBC is for  ..right 😁

I agree with Paul  tell them the bus  leaves at 2:15 SHARP  ..if not there  they are on their own

• Haha 1

Lyn, Paul, and edger have nailed the reason we avoid O tours as much as possible. Absolutely biggest peeve are people that sign up for tours they are physically unable to do. Doing it once and learning is forgivable , however far too many do it day after day fully cognizant that they are holding groups up and missing sights. Actually my biggest peeve is realizing that even having multiple cruisers complain to O about those individuals, O will do absolutely nothing to stop the offenders from doing it day after day!

Fortunately shore tours are not included in the price unless one wants that option.

• Like 1

Ship's tours are taking a lot of heat on this thread so I'm going to say something in their defense. I understand how one can feel annoyed if you're on a bus waiting for someone who is not back at the time they were supposed to be or if there is someone who cannot keep up with the group. It happens.  I was recently on a 10-day Baltic cruise and took the ship's excursions in every port.  For whatever reason, we have not done private tours. Maybe we were just lucky but we experienced no problems at all.  None.  On every tour we were on, everyone was back on the bus at the specified time and there were no stragglers holding up the rest of us.   There was one port where I heard a little bit of discussion directed at the tour guide that she was walking too fast and there were some in the group who could not keep up. They were right.  This particular guide was young and somewhat inexperienced and had to be reminded to slow the pace down a little. She understood and it was good after that.

If you read O's explanation of every excursion, it explains in detail how many steps there are to climb, cobblestone streets that need to be managed, etc etc.  I think more people are taking note of it and complying. All that I'm saying here is do not assume that if you are on a ship's tour you will be delayed by stragglers or by others with mobility issues. To each their own but this has been my experience. 

• Like 1

sunlover - I agree with you. It doesn’t happen all the time -thankfully - but when it does it is irritating.

We have no problem with O’s excursions as we choose them carefully. We usually get the O Life package with excursions as they are a good value at $100 each. The rest we usually DIY or join others (or use OBC to book others to get 25% off).

Edited by Paulchili
  • Like 1

8 hours ago, pinotlover said:

Lyn, Paul, and edger have nailed the reason we avoid O tours as much as possible. Absolutely biggest peeve are people that sign up for tours they are physically unable to do. Doing it once and learning is forgivable , however far too many do it day after day fully cognizant that they are holding groups up and missing sights. Actually my biggest peeve is realizing that even having multiple cruisers complain to O about those individuals, O will do absolutely nothing to stop the offenders from doing it day after day!

Fortunately shore tours are not included in the price unless one wants that option.

Unfortunately ship tours are included in the price on many Oceania itineraries sold in the UK. As previously mentioned, my OLife Ultimate cruise included four “free” tours per guest and there was no fare reduction for omitting this “benefit”.  I am an avid hiker with little interest in churches, museums or galleries and, with my husband, want to explore independently.  I’ll join two tours this time just to make use of the transfer but will waste the other two.

6 hours ago, beechwood said:

Unfortunately ship tours are included in the price on many Oceania itineraries sold in the UK. As previously mentioned, my OLife Ultimate cruise included four “free” tours per guest and there was no fare reduction for omitting this “benefit”.  I am an avid hiker with little interest in churches, museums or galleries and, with my husband, want to explore independently.  I’ll join two tours this time just to make use of the transfer but will waste the other two.

You do  not need to take them  if you are not interested

you are getting  good value  with having the  OBC + House Select package

Do you also get  PPG with that deal??

PS: it is  a good idea to put you Country in your profile 

regional deals can be different