Question about Pier Runners

compman9

I have just been watching some videos of people missing the ship

Part of me finds it funny, part of me makes me angry, part of it makes me curious

You can never judge individual reasons for missing a ship, but I would presume it's invariably the passengers' fault

However, it did make me wonder - If you are somewhere like Nassau, where there are always lots of ships, often going to the same netx stop - would another ship allow you to hitch a lift?

7 minutes ago, PCWalton1 said:

I could have sworn I read on here where someone did get to hitch a ride with another ship. Just can't find it. 

I remember that as well. There was a thread dedicated to it. Unfornatley, I can't remember the specific details but it had something to do with Royal passengers that were able to hitch a ride on a Celebrity ship (Edge maybe??) to the next island.

19 minutes ago, HBE4 said:

I remember that as well. There was a thread dedicated to it. Unfornatley, I can't remember the specific details but it had something to do with Royal passengers that were able to hitch a ride on a Celebrity ship (Edge maybe??) to the next island.

Ok, it's not just my memory. There may have been extenuating circumstances, such as the passenger being on a cruise line excursion but I do remember someone hitching a ride on another ship to the next port.

• Like 1

If what y'all remember is true, I would be interested to know the details. Where did they sleep, how much did it cost, what was the cause of their tardiness, etc.? It can't be as simple as the port agent makes a call, can it? If so, wouldn't we hear about it more often?

Edited by JennyB1977

15 minutes ago, JennyB1977 said:

If what y'all remember is true, I would be interested to know the details. Where did they sleep, how much did it cost, what was the cause of their tardiness, etc.? It can't be as simple as the port agent makes a call, can it? If so, wouldn't we hear about it more often?

Here you go.  For your reading pleasure.

Details are scant and I don't think any of your questions will be answered. The Pier Runners were on Symphony that had an All Onboard time of 3:30. They showed up at 4:10, about 5 minutes too late.  I guess the port agent referred them to Celebrity Equinox and after a call to Corporate HQ in Miami, they were allowed onboard. I'm guess the ship was not sold out so they were able to crash in a cabin for the night. Both ships were returning to Miami the next day.

There was another group of 14 that showed up at 4:00 and were able to get on board the Symphony.

15 minutes ago, JennyB1977 said:

I stand corrected. However, this does not appear to be a routine practice with a lot of unanswered questions.

Correct.

As sparks1093 noted, there must've been extenuating circumstances.  I would have loved to know how the conversation with the pier agent went.

• Like 1

As soon as they start calling names after boarding time ends. We start to watch them as they run to the ship. The ones that should be left behind are the ones that take there sweet time after the board time has elapsed. A half hour late and could care less.

40 minutes ago, HBE4 said:

Correct.

As sparks1093 noted, there must've been extenuating circumstances.  I would have loved to know how the conversation with the pier agent went.

I'd like to know how many dead presidents were involved

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

We left four passengers behind in Juneau last month. They caught up with the ship in Ketchikan the next day. I spoke with the officer who was waiting for them. The rumor I heard on the ship was that a couple missed it. The officer, though, confirmed it was a total of four people. 

I was late returning to a ship twice, once in Panama and the other in Florence.  Was on ship sponsored excursions, accidents on the road back was the reason for both delays.

The Carnival ship in Panama  waited about 45 minutes for our bus and a few other buses, and the Princess ship in Italy waited almost 3 hours for just our van to return to the port.  They started to roll up the gangway as soon as we were about 3/4 across!

When on a cruise to Mexico, a lady & her son were on the bus going to one of the excursions & she was telling him what all they were going to do and how they didn't have to be back on the ship until 4pm.  We all turned & said NOOOO, we have to be on the boat by 2pm!!!  Luckily she had one of those loud voices, otherwise she & little Johnny would have been flying back to Texas!  She just misread the documents! 

12 hours ago, sgw123 said:

When on a cruise to Mexico, a lady & her son were on the bus going to one of the excursions & she was telling him what all they were going to do and how they didn't have to be back on the ship until 4pm.  We all turned & said NOOOO, we have to be on the boat by 2pm!!!  Luckily she had one of those loud voices, otherwise she & little Johnny would have been flying back to Texas!  She just misread the documents! 

While I certainly believe you with this, I wonder how she could have ever thought that, as on every ship we've cruised the final return boarding time has been announced over the PA, published on the daily activity paper and indicated on the in-room tv's, and posted on a large sign at the security check area when leaving the ship.  And if she was on a ship-based excursion, typically the bus that picks you up is the one used round trip, and all of them are scheduled to return at least 30 minutes prior to that time at the latest, with the pick up and return time printed on the ticket.  Can't understand with all those safe guards how she could have misread that.

Edited by leaveitallbehind

We were waiting for a lady on our cruise in 2017 and when we saw a car coming to the pier people started jeering and whatnot.

The lady got out looking very poorly indeed and had to be helped to the ship. She wasn't drunk but looked very pale and had a leg problem I think also.

Thankfully, the people jeering shut up,

19 hours ago, JennyB1977 said:

I would think if it were a matter of a ship of the same line going to the same port the next day - like Nassau back to Miami - it “might” work.   There would have to be an empty cabin and a flexible captain and hotel manager who could be reached.

I do not think any ship would let a pier runner camp out on deck for a day or so .

i was on an NCL ship at Cozumel and a passenger who had just missed another NCL ship was  on the pier shouting at the officer manning the gangway - he was not allowed to board. I think they were on very different itineraries. 

Edited by navybankerteacher
Missed point

19 minutes ago, navybankerteacher said:

I would think if it were a matter of a ship of the same line going to the same port the next day - like Nassau back to Miami - it “might” work.   There would have to be an empty cabin and a flexible captain and hotel manager who could be reached.

I do not think any ship would let a pier runner camp out on deck for a day or so .

i was on an NCL ship at Cozumel and a passenger who had just missed another NCL ship was  on the pier shouting at the officer manning the gangway - he was not allowed to board. I think they were on very different itineraries. 

And people don't realize that shouting at a person from whom they expect help is probably not the best thing to do.

• Like 3