Prepaid Gratuities and Room Service

Jaxweb

If I have prepaid gratuities, does that also go towards room service on Celebrity cruises?

I know many people commonly choose to pay $2 or $3 dollars tips to room service attendants, but do prepaid gratuities or daily auto-gratuities charges already go towards room service workers?

I have seen conflicting info on this.

Where did you get that information from that states room service attendants do not get any money from prepaid gratuities?

Edited by Jaxweb

You are correct cruisestitch.  I should have said "I don't believe so."

There was a post recently with a breakdown of who gets the gratuities and I don't recall seeing room service on there.  I don't use room service, so I guess I wouldn't like to be charged extra gratuities as a matter of course, just to cover those who do use it.   

https://www.celebritycruises.com/company/customer-support/help-and-faqs/during-your-cruise/gratuity-program

Are the people delivering the meals for room service not considered "dining services staff?"

5 minutes ago, AmberCascades said:

You are correct cruisestitch.  I should have said "I don't believe so."

There was a post recently with a breakdown of who gets the gratuities and I don't recall seeing room service on there.  I don't use room service, so I guess I wouldn't like to be charged extra gratuities as a matter of course, just to cover those who do use it.   

People who choose to eat exclusively in specialty restaurants still prepay the same prepaid gratuities rate even though they are paying another additional auto-gratuity for their meals.

• Like 1

The problem comes in figuring out what is included in “stateroom services” and “dining services”. Some people think room service is included, others say that because its not specifically named, it isn’t included

Edited by cruisestitch
  • Thanks 1

Jaxweb, i don’t see how anyone can eat exclusively in specialty restaurants, unless they only eat one meal a day.  The specialty restaurants aren’t open for breakfast and are seldon openfor lunch.

Edited by cruisestitch

At one time the Stateroom Attendant was also responsible for room service. That responsibility has been eliminated since the change to a single attendant. I've always been told by Stateroom Attendants that room service  personnel is not covered by auto tips.  

10 minutes ago, Jaxweb said:

https://www.celebritycruises.com/company/customer-support/help-and-faqs/during-your-cruise/gratuity-program

Are the people delivering the meals for room service not considered "dining services staff?"

People who choose to eat exclusively in specialty restaurants still prepay the same prepaid gratuities rate even though they are paying another additional auto-gratuity for their meals.

The same logic can be applied to those who choose to skip a dinner or who arrive from a tour after the MDR is closed. 

1 minute ago, phoenix_dream said:

Considering we are only talking about an extra $2 or $3 I'm wondering why we're even wondering about it 😊

Because I hate it on principal and I wanted to just prepay it and get it out of the way and over with before the cruise started so never have to deal with it again.

1 minute ago, Jaxweb said:

Because I hate it on principal and I wanted to just prepay it and get it out of the way and over with before the cruise started so never have to deal with it again.

It was said lightheartedly (hence the emoji).  To each their own.

6 minutes ago, phoenix_dream said:

Considering we are only talking about an extra $2 or $3 I'm wondering why we're even wondering about it 😊

I can't remember the last time we ordered room service on a cruise.  I figure if we do order, the few bucks here or there to tip the attendant certainly isn't going to break us even if he is included in the pool.  That money means a lot more to him than us.  I feel that way in general about tipping, though--for example, if I'm debating about how much to round up on a restaurant bill.

Edited by hiccups
  • Like 5

Just now, Jaxweb said:

Are you planning to order room service a lot?  Because if you don't then you don't have to worry about it.  Look at it as a delivery fee.  I assume you tip the pizza guy when you order delivery?  It's not included in the cost of the pizza is it?   You pay the delivery guy extra.  The same with room service people.  

1 minute ago, Jaxweb said:

There is no requirement that you gives an extra tip to anyone. Your choice and you can continue to do whatever you feel is appropriate. 

58 minutes ago, Jaxweb said:

I have seen conflicting info on this.

Where did you get that information from that states room service attendants do not get any money from prepaid gratuities?

Because Celebrity used to list exactly who got the gratuities and they were never included. 

23 minutes ago, Jaxweb said:

The people delivering the meals for room service are not dining services staff, the are from the kitchen.

People who eat in Specialty restaurants don't eat their lunch and breakfast in Specialty Restaurants, the MDR personnel work in the venues they do eat in.  

Your arguments have long ago been dispelled on this board.