The Turkish Visa question- again

nonrev1

We have traveled with Azamara to Turkey several times.  The first two times we were just passing through with a stop in Kushadasi and did not need to get a Turkish Visa.  One time we originated in Turkey and we applied for the E Visa as required.  Next month we are going on the Greek Islands cruise with a stop in Kushadasi and those traveling with us that booked through Azamara all received emails stating they needed to get Turkish Visas for travel on this cruise.  ( originates and terminates in Piraeus) Did the rules change?  We are all from the U.S and the last I heard was if you were traveling by cruise ship and staying less than 72 hours you did not need a Visa.  Thanks for your help with an answer.  

Not that I'm aware of. Certainly UK citizens simply visiting a Turkish port on a cruise ship don't need a visa as long as the stay is less than 72 hours. If you were flying into or out of a Turkish airport then yes, you would need one. 

Phil 

Edited by excitedofharpenden

We are from NZ. It sounds as if we are on the same cruise as you next month. NZers do not require visas for Turkey, even if staying in the country.

However, we have been on Azamara before on itineraries that had 1 or 2 stops in Turkey, and there was no requirement for visas for any of the passengers. I am not aware that has changed.

Edited by roaming_kiwi58

Thanks. That’s what I thought.  Our travel companions were very surprised to receive something from Azamara saying they needed a Visa for Turkey.  Our only port in Turkey is Kushadasi and we begin and end the cruise in Greece.  We did the Black Sea cruise and needed one because we spent several days in Istanbul before boarding the ship.  I wondered if things had changed.  Guess not ....only a miscommunication from Azamara.  

Thanks for the info.  

Here’s what I’ve found:

“A Visa is required on sailings that either begin or end in Turkey. In-Transit guests who are simply stopping in Turkey, but do not begin or end in Turkey, do not require a Visa.

Turkish visas must be obtained on line at www.evisa.gov.tr/en prior to entry into Turkey. Not all nationalities are e-visa eligible. Kiosks are not available at sea ports, only at major international airports. Fees are subject to change.

The cost of the e-visa for US citizens is $20 USD.

The cost of the e-visa for Canadian citizens is $60 USD.

Embassy websitewww.evisa.gov.tr

For guests embarking in Istanbul

Istanbul's new e-Visa's are required upon arrival to your home airport. Airlines will verify e-visa's at check in. Please print your e-Visa and place inside your passport. Guests without visa's will be denied entry into the country. You are kindly asked to check the below visa informational link before leaving your home country.  Website: http://www.mfa.gov.tr/visa-information-for-foreigners.en.mfa