Has anyone been keeping up with the continued 2nd Entree surcharges in the MDR?

Cruisegoer

We were on the Oosterdam June 23 -30th and there was nothing on the menu anywhere about any extra charges for a 2nd entree. It's a good thing that there was no charge for 2 desserts because that became DH's plan every night!

Karen

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

26 minutes ago, Cruisegoer said:

It seem's its now become a Maitre D's option to enforce but that menu's are still served saying that the $10 surcharge exists.

Not a good sign.

That thread was from April - just after the test ended.  There's no reports that it's been revived.  

During the test, some Maitre D's were apparently not enforcing it.  

When we cruised on Oosterdam 2nd week of April, HAL had already abandoned this idea.  The waiters/assistant maître d', and maître d' all said it was a disaster, which they hoped would never become permanent.  This sentiment was echoed by the higher level  officer who hosted our table during one of the Gala Nights.

Front desk also confirmed it was a test which turned into a disaster.  That's not to say that HAL can't change its corporate mind and begin charging for 2nd entrée at some point.   

• Like 1

There was indeed a "pay for a 2nd entree" trial (test) period on four dam ships (Nieuw A, E-dam, Zuidy and Oostie) from March 1st until April 1st of this year. Two of those ships charged ten greenbacks for a second entree only on Gala nights, while the other two vessels charged ten cucumbers for an extra crustacean and/or any other 2nd such exquisite entree on every night.

Apparently,  the feedback received as a result of this test period made the storming of the Bastille political prison in la ville lumiere on the afternoon of 14 July 1789 seem like a tempest in a proverbial demitasse 

There have been no attempt(s) to reweigh a potential menu upcharge since the April fools day conclusion of the aforementioned assessment

• Like 11
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 6

8 hours ago, Copper10-8 said:

Apparently,  the feedback received as a result of this test period made the storming of the Bastille political prison in la ville lumiere on the afternoon of 14 July 1789 seem like a tempest in a proverbial demitasse 

Well said, John!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

18 hours ago, CruiserBruce said:

What is your source for this latest interpretation? The linked article doesn't support your comments.

Last most of us heard is this was a test, and they didn't extend the test or make it permanent.

Actually I was referencing "Schmoo here"s response about their experience April 4 & 5th and also TAD2005 comment in my originally referenced post so I'm unsure why are saying that my link doesn't support my statement....You did see the question mark in my OP Line correct? I'm unsure of what's been going on on every cruise since March 31 but came upon these 2 examples so thought I'd put the question out there for legitimate responses not rude critiques.

Looking through the thread that YOU quoted you ignore the bulk of evidence and see just a post or 2 that were probably proofreading oversights in removing the language from the menu and THEN editorialize that it's not a good thing.  What kind of a response did you expect?

Roy

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, rafinmd said:

Looking through the thread that YOU quoted you ignore the bulk of evidence and see just a post or 2 that were probably proofreading oversights in removing the language from the menu and THEN editorialize that it's not a good thing.  What kind of a response did you expect?

Roy

I was expecting people who have recently been on HAL sailings to reiterate whether or not HAL is still charging for a second entree on it's ships in the MDR at dinner. I was NOT expecting snarky, snotty comments which has become the norm on these boards by Know it All Keyboard Bullies like yourself.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Cruisegoer said:

Actually I was referencing "Schmoo here"s response about their experience April 4 & 5th and also TAD2005 comment in my originally referenced post so I'm unsure why are saying that my link doesn't support my statement....You did see the question mark in my OP Line correct? I'm unsure of what's been going on on every cruise since March 31 but came upon these 2 examples so thought I'd put the question out there for legitimate responses not rude critiques.

I was just pointing out that the menus on our cruise still had the "$10 upcharge for second entree" printed on them until the end of our cruise.  Not that it's still there.  We were on a long cruise, I think they just used the same printing format for the menu for the entire cruise.  I also didn't see or hear of anyone on that cruise getting charged for a second entree, except, of course, for the two items that already have an extra charge - the steak and lobster entrees.

On 7/16/2019 at 9:42 PM, Copper10-8 said:

There was indeed a "pay for a 2nd entree" trial (test) period on four dam ships (Nieuw A, E-dam, Zuidy and Oostie) from March 1st until April 1st of this year. Two of those ships charged ten greenbacks for a second entree only on Gala nights, while the other two vessels charged ten cucumbers for an extra crustacean and/or any other 2nd such exquisite entree on every night.

There have been no attempt(s) to reweigh a potential menu upcharge since the April fools day conclusion of the aforementioned assessment

This is a masterpiece!

• Thanks 1

19 hours ago, Cruisegoer said:

I was expecting people who have recently been on HAL sailings to reiterate whether or not HAL is still charging for a second entree on it's ships in the MDR at dinner. I was NOT expecting snarky, snotty comments which has become the norm on these boards by Know it All Keyboard Bullies like yourself.

The problem is there are too many self-proclaimed experts who believe their is only one version of the truth.  Back to the topic:  It would not surprise me if someone was asked to pay for a second entree on some HAL ship in the past two months.  This must be rooted out. 

30 minutes ago, ChinaShrek said:

The problem is there are too many self-proclaimed experts who believe their is only one version of the truth.  Back to the topic:  It would not surprise me if someone was asked to pay for a second entree on some HAL ship in the past two months.  This must be rooted out. 

Why would  you not be surprised that someone was asked to pay for a second entree on some HAL ship in the last two months?

Any evidence ?   Any anecdotes?  Just a personal negative attitude?   

I agree that there are too many self proclaimed experts who believe their's is the only version of the truth.   But I would hope that before any conjectures on the truth are made that they at least have some scintilla of fact backing it up.

"This must be rooted out"

And as a practical matter, once HAL had eliminated the policy of a charge for a second entree, how would the passenger be charged for the second entree.  The billing system would have no way of processing the unrecognizable transaction.  It would likely require the collusion of the server, the maitre de and the HAL data processing department to get the charge on the passenger's bill.  Possible yes but unlikely.

30 minutes ago, Wonderingabout said:

"This must be rooted out"

And as a practical matter, once HAL had eliminated the policy of a charge for a second entree, how would the passenger be charged for the second entree.  The billing system would have no way of processing the unrecognizable transaction.  It would likely require the collusion of the server, the maitre de and the HAL data processing department to get the charge on the passenger's bill.  Possible yes but unlikely.

This is good to know and what the OP was asking.

On the Westerdam in June, there was surf (Maine lobster tail) and turf on the menu, as well as duck.  I wanted the duck, but also asked for a lobster tail.  No problem, no extra cost.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

we were on the Eurodam from March 4 to April 6.  The Eurodam was one of the 4 test ships.   Even though it was on the menus for our entire 28 day cruise, it was not enforced, even on gala nights.   Because all menus on the cruise were printed at the beginning of the cruise,  the $10 fee was still on the menus on the last day.   That may be where the OP got the idea that the $10 fee was still in effect.   It did extend past the March 31 cutoff, but only because our cruise lasted until April 6.  Never enforced, and waiters, and staff hated the idea.

On 7/18/2019 at 4:56 PM, awhcruiser said:

Why would anyone need a second entree?

A passenger sitting next to me (shared table OS in MDR): 7 starters, 4 entrees, 4 desserts.  No room left for my plate as he wanted starters (and later the entrees) served at the same time.  DH and I were, let's say, astonished. 

3 hours ago, MAVIP said:

A passenger sitting next to me (shared table OS in MDR): 7 starters, 4 entrees, 4 desserts.  No room left for my plate as he wanted starters (and later the entrees) served at the same time.  DH and I were, let's say, astonished. 

Blink...blink...

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, MAVIP said:

I would have gotten sick watching him eat all of that!  Guess he wanted the price for his cruise paid back in food.

1 minute ago, awhcruiser said:

I would have gotten sick watching him eat all of that!  Guess he wanted the price for his cruise paid back in food.

Now you say so, I must admit we ate less than normal that evening.