Child’s ID when returning to ship while in port

This will be my first time sailing with a twelve year old child. On previous cruises I needed a photo ID and my cruise card to return to the ship.  My granddaughter does not have a photo ID. What has been the experience of other cruisers and what does Norwegian require. 

Always appreciate the help I get on these boards 

57 minutes ago, Sauer-kraut said:

Under the age of 16 no child requires a photo I.D. 

This is correct.

2 minutes ago, tallnthensome said:

Go get a state ID for her at the DMV or Secretary of State office.  

This is a very smart suggestion.

I was in Bermuda with a 10 and 12 year old last April. I was stopped while trying to re-enter the port and was asked for picture ID for the kids. I handed them their key cards and the “guard” rudely handed them back and said “they have to hand them to me”. So they did....he still insisted on having a picture ID. People behind us on line were saying that they were kids and didn’t require a picture ID. Guy was kind of a jerk....so I dug to the bottom of my backpack and found their NEXUS cards and he let us thru. Thankfully I never travel without their cards....but that was some kind of BS going on there. Pretty much turned me off from ever returning to Bermuda.

If their parents are not traveling with you I would also have a notarized letter from the parents saying you can travel with them.  Especially if they have a different last name.  My sister took my 10 year old daughter to Florida and the TSA agent gave her a hard time.

we are just off the POA this past weekend and used our daughter's passport (12 years old).  I know they say you don't need a photo id but I'd rather have it to be on the safe side and each time we got back on the ship they did check her passport & key card. 

4 hours ago, New Jersey Pat said:

This will be my first time sailing with a twelve year old child. On previous cruises I needed a photo ID and my cruise card to return to the ship.  My granddaughter does not have a photo ID. What has been the experience of other cruisers and what does Norwegian require. 

Always appreciate the help I get on these boards 

Children under the age of 16 do not require a photo ID as long as they are with an adult. Nothing to worry about.

in 16 on the Dawn photo IDs were not required. NCL took your photo when you got your card key and when it is swiped by security your photo comes up on their screen they compare that to the person in front of them. If you are traveling with underage kids, their cards not only show their photo but also the photos of the responsible adults for them. The kids would not be allowed off the ship with the wrong adults.

• Like 1