Is there any difference from a 'Balcony' and a 'Category B6 - Large Balcony Stateroom

Cariot

This is for the Escape. I noticed I was placed on 9732, which I'm intimidated by. I'm not sure how noisy, rough rocking, far this is from everything else. It's also the front of the ship? Any pros or cons to this location? I'm trying the best I can to do some research through google, but not a lot is coming up only that this room is considered, 'Category B6 - Large Balcony Stateroom', however, I don't know if that really makes a difference from a normal balcony with a fancy name (Kinda like the Spa balcony being nothing out of the ordinary from a normal balcony'. Any tips would be greatly appreciated! 

The stateroom itself is the same as a standard balcony. Yours happens to be a connecting stateroom (with 9730) and the bed is near the closet. Those factors can be considered a "con" but the larger balcony is a "pro". You will look down to the larger M6 balcony then look down to the water. Overall, a nice stateroom. 

I've only been on Escape about 3 times, so not familiar with that particular room. In general, the bow, or forward does indeed get the bulk of the motion should you hit big water, but you can go on 20 or even 30 cruises and still not encounter the kind of sea conditions that would make a significant difference in the motion with the size of today's ships. Used to be a very important consideration in the "old days" of the 70's when 600 passengers was a large number, and cabins far forward could be a challenge for those prone to motion sickness. Doubt today's cruisers would believe how we "oldsters" got tossed around back then..LOL ! But today my main concern is studying the deck plan to make sure I don't choose a cabin directly above or below a dance floor, directly under the main lido area (they "rearrange" deck chairs well into the night and again before the sun comes up), location near the kitchens USED to be a concern, but again, a newer ships no longer locate cabins in really undesirable areas. Most recently I was on Getaway and my "mini" suite was indistinguishable from the regular balcony rooms I've had on NCL ships, with one exception, if my children were still young, it is the ONLY cabin I would want, you could hold a party in the shower, and host a festival in the bathroom itself...LOL ! Amazingly, it was even larger than a bathroom on a Disney ship !  

Edited by annnmarie

13 minutes ago, Two Wheels Only said:

The stateroom itself is the same as a standard balcony. Yours happens to be a connecting stateroom (with 9730) and the bed is near the closet. Those factors can be considered a "con" but the larger balcony is a "pro". You will look down to the larger M6 balcony then look down to the water. Overall, a nice stateroom. 

That's wonderful news! Do you think the room will be quiet? It seems to be around all the higher end areas (such as the spa/haven/Vibe/etc)?

10 minutes ago, annnmarie said:

Used to be a very important consideration in the "old days" of the 70's when 600 passengers was a large number, and cabins far forward could be a challenge for those prone to motion sickness. Doubt today's cruisers would believe how we "oldsters" got tossed around back then..LOL !

I bet! I think we'll be fine, the waters to Bermuda I don't remember being too rough last time I went in '17. Is there anything to be concerned about with connecting rooms? (such as thinner walls!)

23 minutes ago, Two Wheels Only said:

Yours happens to be a connecting stateroom (with 9730) and the bed is near the closet.

Just curious, where did you find out this information about the closet set up?

12 minutes ago, Cariot said:

That's wonderful news! Do you think the room will be quiet? It seems to be around all the higher end areas (such as the spa/haven/Vibe/etc)?

The Spa is on deck 16, the Haven is decks 17-19, and VIBE is on deck 19. Not a factor as far as your location. 

You are surrounded by staterooms above, below, and to the sides. Your neighbors will be either loud or not loud. 

6 minutes ago, Cariot said:

Just curious, where did you find out this information about the closet set up?

The 2 staterooms beside yours (1 forward/1 aft) are bed near balcony. Yours is not. 

If you cruise often you might find it worth while to join deckplans.com, very nominal fee to join, and it gives you a chance to view the ACTUAL stateroom on any ship, many with videos. All are contributed by actual passengers, and to reciprocate you too can contribute pictures of your room on Escape so folks who have questions like you asked can see the actual room see what the view is from the balcony (if it is a balcony room), and so on. Some of the older Carnival ships and some older HAL ships, have a few oddly shaped cabins and balconies, now new ships have "container" like cabins and you don't find recognizable differences, so if you ever book an older ship, checking the pictures or actual videos is really helpful !

Speaking of videos, I found a room next to mine and it shows how open this balcony is. Seems to be very unprivate, is that because this room is on an angle or is it just the area in general (where you look down and see purely other balconies and not the ocean)

Here is youtube video of the balcony on 9734 on the Norwegian Breakaway.  Views would be very similar if not the same as the stateroom next door to the one you have booked on the Escape.   Your stateroom sleeps three so the bed is by the closet door.  The staterooms on either side of you can sleep four, 2 in the main bed, one on the couch that makes into a bed and one in a bed that drops down from the ceiling above the couch.  Those staterooms have the main bed by the balcony door.

Here is another youtube video.  This one is of 9718 on the Escape.  Unfortunately it also has the bed by the balcony door rather than your set up.  This stateroom is about 8 staterooms further forward than your stateroom.

Here is another youtube video.  This one provides close up shots of the Escape.

When you are laying on your lounger or sitting looking out you won't notice any lack of privacy.  Standing at your balcony rail you will be able to look down on the mini-suite balconies below you and will be visible from above and below.    We like large balconies but prefer either aft facing or one of the angled balconies.   We did visit someone in the type of stateroom you have booked and they loved it and the location.

Edited by kjquilts

24 minutes ago, kjquilts said:

Here is another youtube video.  This one provides close up shots of the Escape.

Thank you for your finds! Going to watch them now, I've only seen 1/3 before.

I take it that it's better to get a balcony that's higher up?

7 minutes ago, Cariot said:

Thank you for your finds! Going to watch them now, I've only seen 1/3 before.

I take it that it's better to get a balcony that's higher up?

Not necessarily.  A lot of the action is on 6, 7 and 8 and the stateroom you have is on deck 9.  Luckily you are forward enough that there are staterooms below you rather than public areas that could be noisy.  You will have the benefit of a large balcony as you've seen from the videos.  Its not too far to the first set of elevators/stairs and just one flight down to deck 8 which is one of my favorites 🙂

Here is link to drag it decks section of cruisedeckplans mentioned by another poster.  Use the elevators/stairs to line up the decks.  Gives you a good look at what is on each deck.

https://www.cruisedeckplans.com/DP/deckplans/dragdeck.php?ship=Norwegian-Escape&zoom=1

29 minutes ago, kjquilts said:

Not necessarily.  A lot of the action is on 6, 7 and 8 and the stateroom you have is on deck 9.  Luckily you are forward enough that there are staterooms below you rather than public areas that could be noisy.  You will have the benefit of a large balcony as you've seen from the videos.  Its not too far to the first set of elevators/stairs and just one flight down to deck 8 which is one of my favorites 🙂

Here is link to drag it decks section of cruisedeckplans mentioned by another poster.  Use the elevators/stairs to line up the decks.  Gives you a good look at what is on each deck.

https://www.cruisedeckplans.com/DP/deckplans/dragdeck.php?ship=Norwegian-Escape&zoom=1

Thank you for all this information, it has been ridiculously helpful and put me at ease with the location. I guess there isn't anything 'perfect' and this room seems lovely!

2 minutes ago, Cariot said:

Thank you for all this information, it has been ridiculously helpful and put me at ease with the location. I guess there isn't anything 'perfect' and this room seems lovely!

You are very welcome.  I hope you have a wonderful cruise.

1 hour ago, Cariot said:

I assume when you say you were “placed”, it was a guarantee room?

The B6 is a premium upgrade balcony room. So you did good!

yup, you’ll have people watching you from above, so don’t do anything you would not want posted to YouTube on your. Balcony

Enjoy your cruise!

• Like 1