Vegan Menu on Allure 7/7

Just off Allure and thought I'd share info on vegan options.  My 20 yo DD has been strictly vegan for a year and eating away from home can be very challenging at times, especially as she is also very picky.  We chose main dining and indicated need for a vegan diet hoping that having a consistent wait staff would make this request easier.  Yes, there were "bumps" but she was delighted that there was a vegan menu and she enjoyed all but one or two of the offerings.  Several of the rolls are vegan and she was brought her own basket of bread and a plate of vegan "butter" each night.  Eating at other venues was more challenging.  Park Cafe had a hummus wrap, Johnny Rockets has a Boca burger that is available and for breakfast the patty is also offered and we were told that the pasta and marinara sauce were dairy and egg free. Couldn't get a clear answer if the steamed veggies had butter so she passed but was frustrated as that could easily be an option if not buttered. Fruit and green salad were always an option but can get a little boring.  We knew that fruit would be her only option at lunch on Labadee so planned ahead and carried off snacks for her.  We tried main dining room for lunch one day but were told there was not a vegan menu available for lunch (I suspect that they may have been willing to prepare something if she ordered a day ahead and planned to eat there daily but she did not want to commit to either a lunch time or venue).  Menu is posted below.  The crunchy tofu tacos were her favorite and she requested them again later in the week.  Happy to answer any questions.

UNADJUSTEDNONRAW_thumb_2543.jpg

• Like 1

10 hours ago, mtmomof3 said:

Just off Allure and thought I'd share info on vegan options.  My 20 yo DD has been strictly vegan for a year and eating away from home can be very challenging at times, especially as she is also very picky.  We chose main dining and indicated need for a vegan diet hoping that having a consistent wait staff would make this request easier.  Yes, there were "bumps" but she was delighted that there was a vegan menu and she enjoyed all but one or two of the offerings.  Several of the rolls are vegan and she was brought her own basket of bread and a plate of vegan "butter" each night.  Eating at other venues was more challenging.  Park Cafe had a hummus wrap, Johnny Rockets has a Boca burger that is available and for breakfast the patty is also offered and we were told that the pasta and marinara sauce were dairy and egg free. Couldn't get a clear answer if the steamed veggies had butter so she passed but was frustrated as that could easily be an option if not buttered. Fruit and green salad were always an option but can get a little boring.  We knew that fruit would be her only option at lunch on Labadee so planned ahead and carried off snacks for her.  We tried main dining room for lunch one day but were told there was not a vegan menu available for lunch (I suspect that they may have been willing to prepare something if she ordered a day ahead and planned to eat there daily but she did not want to commit to either a lunch time or venue).  Menu is posted below.  The crunchy tofu tacos were her favorite and she requested them again later in the week.  Happy to answer any questions.

Awesome, thank you so very much for posting this!!  And sorry for the runaround you all got, the steamed veggies have nothing on them, I lived off them many years back when they were my only options lol (been vegan 11 years).

That's good to see. I stick to a Kosher diet so can not have any of the meat and only certain fish are permitted so food can sometimes be a challenge. My particular gripe is when it comes to dessert and whether or not items contain gelatine. A lot of the staff onboard the various lines we've cruised have been a bit clueless around this, but in fairness RC seems to be the best of the lot (Princess were excpetionally bad in this regard!).

4 hours ago, jmnathan said:

That's good to see. I stick to a Kosher diet so can not have any of the meat and only certain fish are permitted so food can sometimes be a challenge. My particular gripe is when it comes to dessert and whether or not items contain gelatine. A lot of the staff onboard the various lines we've cruised have been a bit clueless around this, but in fairness RC seems to be the best of the lot (Princess were excpetionally bad in this regard!).

I am vegan and on the very restrictive renal diet, and my husband, who is not vegan, keeps strictly kosher.  We were on Symphony when she sailed the Med, and contacted special needs a few weeks before our cruise to notify them of our dietary needs.

We were both very pleased with all our meals.  The head waiter came to our table each night to discuss our options for the following night’s meal.  My husband had several choices for each meal, and each was a fully sealed 3 course meal, including an excellent dessert (and disposable serving ware).  Although it sounds like you eat food prepared in the regular kitchen, but restrict yourself to only kosher ingredients, I suggest that before your next cruise, you contact the Special Needs department and request kosher meals; you should receive similar 3 course sealed meals.  Please note that the meals he was served were a much, much better quality than regular airline meals!  AFAIK, this is possible for all mainstream lines.  (You might have a slightly different experience if sailing the Caribbean, as the meals we received were from providers in the UK and Europe.). 

The headwaiter and chef bowled me over with my meals. I gave them the very small list of ingredients I am permitted, gave the chef a few suggestions of simple meals I would enjoy, and told him to prepare whatever would be easiest within my limits.   Although salt is off my allowed list, he created tasty meals, and once I mentioned that I enjoy Indian flavors, he gave me a taste of heaven!  Add to that a flourless vegan chocolate cake that was so good I requested it each night along with berries.  

I have been sailing vegan for 10 years with mixed results, but after a very unpleasant dining experience on a Med cruise a few years ago, I shied away from cruises for a while. When we decided to cruise again,  based on my last experience I decided to be very proactive, and, of course, the new need to follow the renal diet gave me so many limitations that being proactive became a necessity.  I boarded with some ‘meal trepidation’ but was happily hooked by the end of our first dinner on board :-).

Edited by happy trailer
  • Like 1

17 hours ago, happy trailer said:

We were both very pleased with all our meals.  The head waiter came to our table each night to discuss our options for the following night’s meal.  My husband had several choices for each meal, and each was a fully sealed 3 course meal, including an excellent dessert (and disposable serving ware).  Although it sounds like you eat food prepared in the regular kitchen, but restrict yourself to only kosher ingredients, I suggest that before your next cruise, you contact the Special Needs department and request kosher meals; you should receive similar 3 course sealed meals.  Please note that the meals he was served were a much, much better quality than regular airline meals!  AFAIK, this is possible for all mainstream lines.  (You might have a slightly different experience if sailing the Caribbean, as the meals we received were from providers in the UK and Europe.). 

We have requested Kosher meals in the past but as we're happy to not always eat meat we are comfortable with vegetarian or fish. I do find that it's in the Windjammer that things get more difficult, by and large in the main dining room they are very good.

24 minutes ago, jmnathan said:

We have requested Kosher meals in the past but as we're happy to not always eat meat we are comfortable with vegetarian or fish. I do find that it's in the Windjammer that things get more difficult, by and large in the main dining room they are very good.

JSYK, there was a fish selection available for each of his meals, including for lunches in the WJ.  My husband just added that there was also a pasta option for each meal. 

Edited by happy trailer

• 3 weeks later...
On 7/17/2019 at 4:37 AM, mtmomof3 said:

Oh this looks wonderful considering the struggle I've had in the past in obtaining vegan food. Could I share this on my blog, please mtmomof3?

10 hours ago, MsPoppadom said:

Oh this looks wonderful considering the struggle I've had in the past in obtaining vegan food. Could I share this on my blog, please mtmomof3?

Of course, feel free to share!

My travel agent just sent me a notice she received that Royal Caribbean is now offering a vegan menu on all sailings!!  It’s been a struggle at times while cruising, so this is great information and nice to see its already happening.

On 7/16/2019 at 8:37 PM, mtmomof3 said:

Its time for Royal to get the "Beyond Burger or Impossible Burger" this burger for me being the meat lover is soooo flavorful!  I had one at Mendocino Farms and it was super delish and I never knew I was not eating meat!  That with cheese(you can get vegan or regular cheese depending on how strict you are) would be awesome.  I do not like the Boca Burger its too dry in my opinion.

Also more curries would be nice. I really love the Indian Curries. They could  also do Moroccan Cous Cous, Garbanzo Beans etc and a lot of Middle Eastern Dishes like a Mezze platter with Dolmas Grape Leaves stuffed with Rice,  baba ganoush, Hummus, Tahini, Israeli Pearl Cous Cous etc with Pita Bread, Bulgarian Cheeses, Feta Cheese etc and for those who eat Vegan vegan cheeses. 

Also having a Banana Peanut Butter Corn Flake crusted Crepes with Caramel Sauce.

Having more Vegan Items would be  a nice addition to the meat items and we could even mix and match!  A Curry with a Beef Dish could compliment each other or even just Vegan items.

I am all for Royal exploring this!  

• 2 weeks later...

I too would love a BeyondBurger and decent mock meat (Gardein) on the menu, with some vegan cheese as well. But I am quite happy with what Royal have come up with - after all, all the other cruise lines with vegan menus are luxury brands (Azamara, Oceania, Regent) with the exception of Italian Costa. 

I did get the full 7 day rotating menu from RC so if you haven't seen it yet, it's in this post of mine

https://vegancruiser.co.uk/cruise/new-royal-caribbean-vegan-menu-2019/

My vegan friend and I will be sailing Liberty Aug 25-Sept 1. We will definitely be taking advantage of this new menu! I am not vegan but I love creative food and trying new things so I am sure I will partake quite a bit. We are planning on taking pics and notes along the way of all her meals so we can help any new vegan cruisers down the road! Thank you so much for posting this, it will help us plan which meals not to miss in the main dining room - apparently not Day 2 since those tacos were such a hit!

4 hours ago, ResearchObsessed said:

Thank you so much for posting this, it will help us plan which meals not to miss in the main dining room - apparently not Day 2 since those tacos were such a hit!

My pleasure, I really wish other mainstream cruise lines will soon follow with their own menus (looking at you Carnival, NCL and MSC) 😉 Do ask the waiting staff to see the following day's menu, there's no way of knowing if this is the actual order the ship will rotate the menus or just the order the PR team sent me the files 🙂

Let me know how you got on. Veggieslovepeace (IG) has posted a few photos of this menu on her Insta this week, and seems to have gotten on better than on most of her cruises. But for Buffet, I think Crown Princess still beats the rest...