Port Everglades Car Rental need advice please

princessa

I have telephoned a few car rental companies such as Alamo and they are saying that they do not have a shuttle to pick us up in order to get to the car rental after the cruise.

Does anyone know if there are some companies that I can use that will shuttle us to get a car and I can drop it off same day at FLL airport?

I have always done this out of MIA port. Not sure if FLL is different.

Thanks for your help. 🙂

• Car rental shuttle buses DO NOT travel between Port Everglades Cruise Terminals and Fort Lauderdale Airport
  • Car rental shuttle buses DO NOT travel between Port Everglades rental offices and the Fort Lauderdale Airport Car Rental Center
  • Car rental shuttle buses ONLY travel between Port Everglades Cruise Terminals and Port Everglades car rental offices!

Thus, after your cruise you will not find a car rental shuttle bus waiting to take you to the airport car rental center! You will be taken to a Port location (along Route 1) where you meet your rental vehicle. No shuttles to the airport and no shuttles elsewhere such as 17th Street.

Here are Port Everglades car rental offices with port shuttles:

Everglades-Car-Rental-with-shuttles.jpg

Edited by SteerageJoe

25 minutes ago, SteerageJoe said:
  • Car rental shuttle buses DO NOT travel between Port Everglades Cruise Terminals and Fort Lauderdale Airport
  • Car rental shuttle buses DO NOT travel between Port Everglades rental offices and the Fort Lauderdale Airport Car Rental Center
  • Car rental shuttle buses ONLY travel between Port Everglades Cruise Terminals and Port Everglades car rental offices!

Thus, after your cruise you will not find a car rental shuttle bus waiting to take you to the airport car rental center! You will be taken to a Port location (along Route 1) where you meet your rental vehicle. No shuttles to the airport and no shuttles elsewhere such as 17th Street.

Thank you so much!!!!  This is so helpful. I don't know why the rental companies didn't tell me that.

Thanks again 🙂

Next year we will need to rent a car after we get off the Equinox. But as it's a Sunday and due to the lack of choices rental wise, we plan on getting a taxi to the airport and collecting from there. As said more choice and open longer hours.

Jules 

My experience with off site rental companies has not been great unless you get there very early.  In Jan, I dropped off a car at Alamo on my way to the ship and the place was a zoo.  It was not adequately staffed to assist with drop offs and new car rentals.  My experience was pretty much the same with Hertz.  Maybe some of the other companies have better service.  

It’s always better to rent a vehicle at the airport location. In most cases the airport location is open twenty four hours a day, seven days a week. They always have enough employees to handle busy times and there’s always adequate inventory of vehicles. It’s worth the expense of either a cab, Uber, or Lyft to get you over to the airport. In reference to FLL it’s a short ten minute ride for around fifteen dollars plus tip.

On 7/17/2019 at 6:40 AM, SteerageJoe said:

Thank you for this info!  I am renting from Alamo in Miami (airport arrival/pre-cruise) and returning the day of cruise at the Ellen Street location.  How easy is the shuttle service to the port?  I will be traveling with my young daughter and will have a few large suitcases in tow.  Wanting to also bring a case of Fiji water but wondering if it may be too cumbersome?  Does the shuttle drop off at the port near porters or is there a decent amount of walking involved? Any help you can provide is appreciated. 

On 7/20/2019 at 7:16 PM, crusinthrough said:

My experience with off site rental companies has not been great unless you get there very early.  In Jan, I dropped off a car at Alamo on my way to the ship and the place was a zoo.  It was not adequately staffed to assist with drop offs and new car rentals.  My experience was pretty much the same with Hertz.  Maybe some of the other companies have better service.  

I am renting from Alamo in Miami (airport arrival/pre-cruise) and returning the day of cruise at the Ellen Street location.  Sounds like dropping off was a bit of a nightmare for you...what time were you there?  I will be traveling with my young daughter and will have a few large suitcases in tow.  Wanting to also bring a case of Fiji water but wondering if it may be too cumbersome?  Does the shuttle drop off at the port near porters or is there a decent amount of walking involved? Any help you can provide is appreciated. 

I drive to and from the port from South Carolina and do two 1-way rentals. I always hop in a cab or shuttle at the port and take to the airport to pick up my car there. National normally has the best rates and if you join "Emerald Aisle" (no cost), all you do is reserve a car online at the mid-size rate and then go straight to the lot and pick out whatever car you want in "Emerald Aisle". The agent at the exit checks you out and you are on your way. It is about as painless a process as there could be. There is no waiting on line in the car rental lobby. The hardest part is deciding which car you want in the aisle.

On 7/27/2019 at 1:11 PM, seagunthera said:

I am renting from Alamo in Miami (airport arrival/pre-cruise) and returning the day of cruise at the Ellen Street location.  Sounds like dropping off was a bit of a nightmare for you...what time were you there?  I will be traveling with my young daughter and will have a few large suitcases in tow.  Wanting to also bring a case of Fiji water but wondering if it may be too cumbersome?  Does the shuttle drop off at the port near porters or is there a decent amount of walking involved? Any help you can provide is appreciated. 

I was at Alamo and Hertz  in Fort Lauderdale.   I also used Hertz in Miami, which was not as bad as Ft. Lauderdale.   The shuttle usually drops you off in front of porters and no walking required.  You will not have a problem.  

I usually go to the pier and drop off my bags before dropping off the rental.  This way when I get on the shuttle i don't have to worry about heavy luggage (i overpack) .  i have dropped off my bags at the pier as early as 9:00am.  

• 2 weeks later...

We had a great experience with Avis back in May/June.  Picked up a car at the Orlando Airport - they were out of compact cars and gave us a mini-van at the same rate.  Spent several days pre-cruise in the Orlando area and dropped off the car at the Port Canaveral location, shuttled to the ship and were dropped off right by a porter then a short walk to the terminal entrance.  On return when we walked out of the terminal an Avis shuttle had just pulled up, quick ride to the rental location, into our car and off we went.  No issues returning to the rental center in the Orlando airport for our late afternoon flight.  The rental on return was less expensive than 2 of us taking a shuttle to the Orlando airport.

Edited by K&RCurt

Hi all,

Just reading thru this - good info.  We want to pick up a rental car at FLL cruise port & return it to FLL airport one week later.  Can we do this?   Or do we have to pick up car originally from airport to drop it off there?

Alternatively, if we drop off car at off airport rental site - will they shuttle us to the airport?

Thanks so much!

NJ 

3 hours ago, NJ&Ozzie said:

Hi all,

Just reading thru this - good info.  We want to pick up a rental car at FLL cruise port & return it to FLL airport one week later.  Can we do this?   Or do we have to pick up car originally from airport to drop it off there?

Alternatively, if we drop off car at off airport rental site - will they shuttle us to the airport?

Thanks so much!

NJ 

Yes, you can pick the car at the port location and return it at the airport. You may be paying a bit more for the drop at a different location.

From a cost point of view - do compare the rates of the above to a pick/drop at the airport plus the cost of a one-way Uber (port to airport).