Bringing alcohol on board

diecastaussie

We are sailing on a 5 night Australian ports cruise in October, I know that we can bring 1 bottle of wine per person onboard at the point of departure (Sydney) for consumption in our cabin .

As we will not be leaving Australian waters during our cruise are we allowed to bring on another bottle at each Australian port that we visit?

Have also heard that you can bring more than 1 bottle of wine on board at the point of departure but you will need to pay a charge of $20 per bottle for each extra bottle, is this correct?

We love our Australian Red wine and the Princess wine selection is usually not to our tastes.

5 minutes ago, diecastaussie said:

We are sailing on a 5 night Australian ports cruise in October, I know that we can bring 1 bottle of wine per person onboard at the point of departure (Sydney) for consumption in our cabin .

As we will not be leaving Australian waters during our cruise are we allowed to bring on another bottle at each Australian port that we visit?

Have also heard that you can bring more than 1 bottle of wine on board at the point of departure but you will need to pay a charge of $20 per bottle for each extra bottle, is this correct?

We love our Australian Red wine and the Princess wine selection is usually not to our tastes.

No extra bottles allowed at each port. Each extra bottle at embarkation is $15 I thought. We have taken a bottle on at ports as my wife drinks Moscato (yuk) and Princess don't have it. The scanners have never picked it up and mostly I even put it on the scanner in the shop bag so I don't try and hide it. If picked up I would just hand it over, but then again Moscato is usually under $10 a bottle so no loss.

I really don't know about Australian waters but in the Caribbean the liquor/wine check at distant ports is very lax. It's almost to the point of you having to offer it to them. Many people just walk right past the check-in table which we always do with either liquor or wine. 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, MissP22 said:

I really don't know about Australian waters but in the Caribbean the liquor/wine check at distant ports is very lax. It's almost to the point of you having to offer it to them.

Often it is the same on the Australian-based ships.

You might be charged AUD$15 corkage, or you may not. If you are charged, a sticker is attached to the bottle so you can take it to the dining room. Otherwise, you can only consume the wine in your cabin. Some people take a glass of wine into the public areas and there are no questions.

Edited by Aus Traveller

11 hours ago, Aus Traveller said:

Often it is the same on the Australian-based ships.

You might be charged AUD$15 corkage, or you may not. If you are charged, a sticker is attached to the bottle so you can take it to the dining room. Otherwise, you can only consume the wine in your cabin. Some people take a glass of wine into the public areas and there are no questions.

Pretty much the same as elsewhere although I've never seen any enforcement of wine being carried to any area other than the DR.

We always just take a large water glass filled to the brim to the DR. 

8 hours ago, casofilia said:

If you are on B2B and they take it off you during the first cruise you get it back at the end of that cruise so available for the second cruise.

We've never had them confiscate anything but purchases made on-board the ship have always been delivered at the end of the first portion of a B2B. (although they did say they wouldn't) 

4 hours ago, MissP22 said:

We've never had them confiscate anything but purchases made on-board the ship have always been delivered at the end of the first portion of a B2B. (although they did say they wouldn't) 

That's what I have read multiple times. Buy at the duty free shop during the first leg of the cruise. They hold it for you and then deliver it the last night of the segment - just as if you were disembarking. Perhaps it varies by ship or by whoever is in charge at that particular time. Who knows with Princess.

Edited by Thrak

51 minutes ago, Thrak said:

That's what I have read multiple times. Buy at the duty free shop during the first leg of the cruise. They hold it for you and then deliver it the last night of the segment - just as if you were disembarking. Perhaps it varies by ship or by whoever is in charge at that particular time. Who knows with Princess.

On our last B2B they told me that they wouldn't deliver my liquor until the end of the journey. 

Surprise, it came at the same time as all the rest of the people in our vicinity. 

My DH just wanted to dump the bottles in the car so on our last day we wouldn't be so overloaded. 

I think they just wanted to clear out their holding room & start fresh on the next trip. 

On 7/18/2019 at 10:01 PM, diecastaussie said:

Just gift wrap a few bottles and tell them they are presents for various crew members you have met on different cruises and they shall let you pass. It does work.

1 minute ago, Brisbane41 said:

Just gift wrap a few bottles and tell them they are presents for various crew members you have met on different cruises and they shall let you pass. It does work.

Just curious. Do you take the gift wrapping ashore with you so you can wrap the bottles prior to boarding?