Coach bus to Southampton cruise port

phoenix_dream

Question for anyone who has done this.  Wondering how exacting they are with the weights and measurements they allow on the bus?  The max weight per luggage piece is roughly 44 lbs US.  Packing for a cruise, that limit is hard to stick to.  Do they actually weigh the suitcases?  If so, does anyone know what they do if you exceed that weight?  I can find info about extra luggage pieces cost, but not sure what happens if your suitcase exceeds the limit.  Certainly couldn't leave it sitting on the platform!  thanks in advance for any guidance on this

Nat Express regs say 2 x 44lb cases plus small carry-on bag per passenger. Are you planning to take more than 88lbs  per passenger plus hand luggage?

It's not like airline check-ins, cases aren't weighed as a matter of course.

Splitting that total into two cases is to cover the carrier against an injury claim by the driver - the driver has the right to refuse a piece over that weight, but they're not wimps and I doubt they'll give you grief if a case is anything up to about 65lbs. .

Experienced drivers can gauge weights pretty accurately,  so treat the driver with courtesy and offer to help.

With a bag over that weight you'd mebbe be OK, but by now you're in the realms of overweight airline labels, exceeding the regs / requests of cruise lines, and generally being unthinking of those in the chain who have to haul your bags.

Most airlines that I've used don't charge according to number of checked cases, just the total weight - it's worth checking if it's the same with your airline.

If you're planning to significantly exceed the total weight limit,you should certainly book overweight in advance. 

Or consider ship's transfer bus or a private transfer.

JB :classic_smile:

23 hours ago, John Bull said:

Nat Express regs say 2 x 44lb cases plus small carry-on bag per passenger. Are you planning to take more than 88lbs  per passenger plus hand luggage?

It's not like airline check-ins, cases aren't weighed as a matter of course.

Splitting that total into two cases is to cover the carrier against an injury claim by the driver - the driver has the right to refuse a piece over that weight, but they're not wimps and I doubt they'll give you grief if a case is anything up to about 65lbs. .

Experienced drivers can gauge weights pretty accurately,  so treat the driver with courtesy and offer to help.

With a bag over that weight you'd mebbe be OK, but by now you're in the realms of overweight airline labels, exceeding the regs / requests of cruise lines, and generally being unthinking of those in the chain who have to haul your bags.

Most airlines that I've used don't charge according to number of checked cases, just the total weight - it's worth checking if it's the same with your airline.

If you're planning to significantly exceed the total weight limit,you should certainly book overweight in advance. 

Or consider ship's transfer bus or a private transfer.

Thanks for the detailed info.  We each plan to take one large suitcase, which would have to be under 44 lbs.  I don't really want to split it into two medium suitcases as that is just too much luggage to drag around.  According to their website I can only take one large, or two medium, each weighing 44lbs or less (plus a carry-on).  So I was concerned about the large suitcase being overweight and their potentially refusing it.  My airplane limit is 50 lbs and I certainly expect to be under that, but sometimes it weighs in at 46 or 47 lbs.  It sounds like I should be ok.  I will bring a small, foldable carry-on sized bag (empty) with me just in case.  That way if I had to empty the suitcase a bit worst case I would just end up paying for one more piece of luggage.  But it sounds like that probably won't happen.  The things I worry about😄

44 minutes ago, phoenix_dream said:

Thanks for the detailed info.  We each plan to take one large suitcase, which would have to be under 44 lbs.  I don't really want to split it into two medium suitcases as that is just too much luggage to drag around.  According to their website I can only take one large, or two medium, each weighing 44lbs or less (plus a carry-on).  So I was concerned about the large suitcase being overweight and their potentially refusing it.  My airplane limit is 50 lbs and I certainly expect to be under that, but sometimes it weighs in at 46 or 47 lbs.  It sounds like I should be ok.  I will bring a small, foldable carry-on sized bag (empty) with me just in case.  That way if I had to empty the suitcase a bit worst case I would just end up paying for one more piece of luggage.  But it sounds like that probably won't happen.  The things I worry about😄

A few lbs heavier?

No worries.:classic_smile:

I had visions of huge steamer trunks :classic_biggrin:

48 minutes ago, John Bull said:

A few lbs heavier?

No worries.:classic_smile:

I had visions of huge steamer trunks :classic_biggrin:

LOL.  No, this is about my 60th or so cruise.  I learned many cruises ago how to pack lighter.  The older I get the less I care about someone seeing me in the same outfit twice on a cruise.  But this trip is going to Norway in September so we need to pack some warmer (and therefore heavier) clothes for during the day.