Is Check from HAL real or scam?

MSEm

Received what appears to be a check  from Bottomline Technologies PaymodeX for Holland America Line N.V..

Has anyone received such a "check".   If it is a real check?  Why would HAL be sending me money?  It has been 1 years since we sailed with HAL.

Thanks for any information.

The check is legit.

When my dh passed away, I got a checkwith no explanation  what the check

was for. We each had some future cruise deposits left unused with HAL. Though it did not occur to me to ask  his be refunded, HALhad it automatically sent to his 'estate''me!

OP, every reason to think it is real as  after those deposits sit unused, the value is refunded.  I think I have seen verbage on the receipts we get when we buy the FCD's, that states HAL will refund

3 minutes ago, JudithLynne said:

Sounds like a scam to me.  I'd call HAL and notify them or if you booked with a TA let that person/company know.

No.. Don'tbother

It is legit and nothing to do with a TA

18 minutes ago, Krazy Kruizers said:

Any shipboard credit that we have left over after a cruise is credited back to my credit card.

This doesn't sound like a check from HAL --- never heard of that company AND something about Holland America Line N.V. -- doesn't sound right.

It IS legit.see my posts below

The terms NV and BV are Dutch corporations.  NV is a business license for a larger company.  BV is for smaller companies.   I am the IT manager for a small resort and a beach bar in Philipsburg, St. Maarten.   Both of these companies have NV after the corporate name.

39 minutes ago, MSEm said:

Received what appears to be a check  from Bottomline Technologies PaymodeX for Holland America Line N.V..

Has anyone received such a "check".   If it is a real check?  Why would HAL be sending me money?  It has been 1 years since we sailed with HAL.

Sounds legit.  Do you possibly have an unused future cruise credit that has expired?

Hank

53 minutes ago, *Miss G* said:

Last week I received a credit from HAL.  It was to a card I haven’t used on a HAL cruise in a few years.  No idea what for.  I’ve included the note.  Was yours for the same amount?

E5B89648-B1FA-488F-8CD4-2D723A1443F6.jpeg

Was there anything odd about the cruise this refund is associated with? Wondering if HAL lost a law suit perhaps and was asked to give $74.66 back to everyone on the sailing? I'd certainly be grateful for the money, but curiosity would be killin' this cat and I'd want to know what it's for. Please update us if you hear anything :)

Just now, BermudaBound2014 said:

Was there anything odd about the cruise this refund is associated with? Wondering if HAL lost a law suit perhaps and was asked to give $74.66 back to everyone on the sailing? I'd certainly be grateful for the money, but curiosity would be killin' this cat and I'd want to know what it's for. Please update us if you hear anything 🙂

Sorry, that was at least 7 cruises ago so I have no recollection of anything odd.  We did miss Half Moon Cay in December but I didn’t use that card.  It would be nice if HAL would send a note or something, but maybe they use a billing service who wouldn’t have handy access to that information.  I’m curious but it will forever remain a mystery I suppose.

• Like 1

FYI - "N.V." is an acronym for the Dutch phrase "Naamloze Vennootschap," which is the equivalent of a public company. Literrally "nameless enterprise/company/organization." It is used a lot in Holland

Re; your check; I would definitely contact HAL in Seattle and, if you have the ability, make a scan of that bad boy, include it in an email (or snail mail) to them, and have them authenticate it

Edited by Copper10-8
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, MSEm said:

Did you happen to book your cruise with the big box hot dog place, I believe they use  Bottomline Technologies for refund of their OBC, I just transferred my cruise today and the guy read the long list of terms and conditions and mentioned that company.  We actually never leave a ship with excess OBC. 

1 hour ago, Lido deck main said:

Did you happen to book your cruise with the big box hot dog place, I believe they use  Bottomline Technologies for refund of their OBC, I just transferred my cruise today and the guy read the long list of terms and conditions and mentioned that company.  We actually never leave a ship with excess OBC. 

We had excess OBC from THAT hotdog place last month and HAL returned it to our credit card within 3 days of disembarkation.

As was mentioned in post #15, if you booked your cruise through that wholesale corporation, they use Bottomline Technologies.

Just curious...

Is there a reason for the cryptic description, big box hot dog place? Is it against the rules to mention the wholesale corporation, by name?

Hi,

This is from Terms and Conditions.

Additional Terms And Conditions For 'Holland America Cruise Line' Bookings

Shipboard Credit:If your reservation is booked within 14 days of the scheduled departure date, you will receive a Costco Cash Card in lieu of the expected onboard credit. Any coupons, saving certificates, future cruise credits and/or discounts that decrease the base cruise fare will decrease the shipboard credit amount accordingly. Likewise, any change in category and/or fare code that increases the base cruise fare will increase theshipboard credit amount accordingly. Costco Travel provided shipboard credit is refundable if unused. A check from Bottomline Technologies will be mailed to you within 4-6 weeks of returning for the remaining balance. If the remaining balance is less than $25.00, please request that refund directly from the front desk onboard the vessel.

14 hours ago, Krazy Kruizers said:

Any shipboard credit that we have left over after a cruise is credited back to my credit card.

This doesn't sound like a check from HAL --- never heard of that company AND something about Holland America Line N.V. -- doesn't sound right.

I agree with KK on this one!! Be suspicious and cautious!! Any credit we ever received would go back on our credit card!

Denise😊

• Like 1

6 hours ago, bobalink said:

Just curious...

Is there a reason for the cryptic description, big box hot dog place? Is it against the rules to mention the wholesale corporation, by name?

It is against the rules to mention any other travel agency on Cruise Critic unless said agency is part of Tripadvisor (owns Cruise Critic) or pays to advertise on this site.

So if one uses the wholesale corporation as a travel agent, it can't be named, and as soon as the moderators realize that posters have a way to name the site agency by allusion, even the "big box hot dog place" will be starred out or deleted.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Thank you for all the input.  We may have put down a deposit for a future cruise.  I know that on 2 of the cruises we skipped ports; so maybe it is a refund of Port Charges.  My husband and I each received a check for $100.00.