If you cruise/travel A WHOLE LOT, why?

clo

17 hours ago, clo said:

And probably most of them can't be seen on a cruise ship.  Ireland is one very small example.  It's so beautiful and the people are wonderful.

Irland can be seen from a cruiseship. I have seen both beauty and wonderful people there during portdays.  

A land vacation can be better but since this is a cruieforum that isn't really relevant when discussing here.

17 hours ago, clo said:

And probably most of them can't be seen on a cruise ship.  Ireland is one very small example.  It's so beautiful and the people are wonderful.

Irland can be seen from a cruiseship. I have seen both beauty and wonderful people there during portdays.  

A land vacation can be better but since this is a cruieforum that isn't really relevant when discussing here.

1 hour ago, sverigecruiser said:

I have seen many beautiful coastlines and landscapes from the ship. Norwegian fiords, New Zealand Sounds just to name two.

10 hours ago, calliopecruiser said:

That's more than a preference.......you aren't even willing to concede that people can make something beautiful (that's why you put it in quotes).   That's OK - everyone's aesthetic is different, but it's rather dismissive to tell someone that what they like requires quotations because you can't even admit it's real.  Sort of like if someone wrote about your favourite restaurant and said that they didn't like the "food" and wouldn't be back. 

Wow.  Talk about reading between the lines things that aren’t there.  I used quotes because those were the words from the post I was quoting that I was responding to.  Beauty is in the eye of the beholder.  What strikes me as being beautiful maybe totally different than what strikes you as beautiful.  I can tell you that I have been totally awestruck and left speechless at some of the natural beauty I have seen.....I cannot say that about anything man-made I have seen.   If you or anyone else has then great.  I am not you. You can not tell me what I would prefer.  Yes I have liked some man-made beauty but I prefer natural beauty.  I would go out of my way to see natural beauty and plan trips to see natural beauty because that is what I prefer.  If I see something man-made along the way that I like then great.  But I have yet to see anything man-made that affects ME like natural beauty does.  I don’t go out of my way to avoid man-made beauty, but I also don’t go out of my way to see it either since in most cases what some see as beautiful is not the case with me, especially if it is man-made.  Can we move on from attacking me for MY travel preferences now?

Sorry to get back on track to the OP question “why do you cruise a lot”

It’s hard to describe unless you’ve cruised about the peace and serenity you feel when you’re on the ocean or sea and being able to stare out as far as you can see and have that feeling on how far away you are from civilization .

As for the question about how long , a week is good, two weeks is pushing it as there is no place like home

34 minutes ago, Luckiestmanonearth said:

Sorry to get back on track to the OP question “why do you cruise a lot”

It’s hard to describe unless you’ve cruised about the peace and serenity you feel when you’re on the ocean or sea and being able to stare out as far as you can see and have that feeling on how far away you are from civilization .

As for the question about how long , a week is good, two weeks is pushing it as there is no place like home

Actually the topic was "why do you cruise/travel a lot" and some objected to my travel preferences.  Having said that you are spot on in the main reason I cruise.  Especially when it is just DH and myself.  That is the beauty I see and feel and when cruising.  I go out on my balcony to read and relax and end up not even turning a page as I am always captivated by the beauty of the ocean.  It calls to me just as the canyons, deserts, and mountains do in Arizona and the sunrise I saw driving into work today.  IMHO that is what beauty is.  It is that emotional experience you get when you see something that moves you like that.  I realized while driving in and watching a beautiful sunrise that I was wrong earlier.  I have seen and felt that beauty in some man-made items.  But almost all those items had an emotional base attached to them for me.  For example a dance my DD danced and choreographed in that moved me to tears.  As said before Beauty is in the eye of the beholder.

Like Cruisemom, I have wanderlust.  My mother has stated many times that I must be part gypsy.  

For years I was a road warrior--traveling for work up to 300 hotel nights a year, and sometimes gone for months at a time.

We travel because there is so much to see, smell, taste, and hear in this world.  

Right now we are somewhat limited due to employment restrictions, but we've got eight years (or less) until we retire, and we are already planning out our first five years--being away six or more months of the year.  Year one of retirement we're looking at the  NatGeo/Lindnlad itinerary that goes all the way from Argentina to New Zealand along along Antarctica and in and out of the circle.  

We'll spend a few weeks in New Zealand and then another month in Australia before heading to Japan for a couple of weeks.  We'll grab a trans Pacific on Windstar in early May that visits the Northern parts of Japan before crossing to Alaska.  We'll take an Alaskan cruise, and then head to Denali on the train.  After that we'll head back home.

We'll stay home for the summer before heading to Europe where we'll spend a month or two before taking a TA home.  In the spring we'll take a TA back to Europe, spend a few more months, and then use the return ticket to fly home.  And I expect it will go along those lines for as long as we're physically able.

• Like 2

9 hours ago, MicCanberra said:

I would travel to Edinburgh for a tattoo, just like many 1000's of others do already.

Haha, so true.  And, I read somewhere that they have replaced the small first grader seats with regular sized ones.   I lucked out with an aisle seat so I was good.   In addition to the military tattoo, the laser light show against the castle wall was very cool.  To me Edinburgh overall is a terrific place to visit.   

• Like 1

6 hours ago, ldubs said:

Haha, so true.  And, I read somewhere that they have replaced the small first grader seats with regular sized ones.   I lucked out with an aisle seat so I was good.   In addition to the military tattoo, the laser light show against the castle wall was very cool.  To me Edinburgh overall is a terrific place to visit.   

Edinburgh is my favourite city in the world.

I adore the place.

And August is the best time of all when the fringe festival is on. 

You can keep the military tattoo for me as I have no interest in anything military.

From the underground buried part of the city to its scary little alleyways and its architecture it's just a joy of a place.

And of course rose street with its dozens of pubs.

And I am back there for work in three weeks.

And Christmas is truly wonderful too with its huge christmas market.

A million times better than London 

On 7/26/2019 at 11:08 AM, clo said:

Whereas I'm unlikely to return to London.  Haven't been to HK and probably won't.  Too much other traveling that ranks higher.

To each his own. 😄

I just spent 4 days in London and enjoyed it.  Not a cheap city, but I have a good time.

Did see The Illusionists.  GREAT show.

1 minute ago, SRF said:

To each his own. 😄

I just spent 4 days in London and enjoyed it.  Not a cheap city, but I have a good time.

Did see The Illusionists.  GREAT show.

I don't remember the context in which I made that and too lazy to go looking 🙂  It's not at all that I don't like big cities.  I do.  London for some reason just doesn't do it for me.

(To the tune of "Baby Got Back")

I like big cities and I cannot lie,
You other cruisers can't deny.
That when I get round to London town, 
I think it's oh-so-fie.

Tokyo, Paris or Rome
I know when I'm feelin' alone
I can go see 'em in cool museums:
the art I ain't got at home.

Beaches just aren't my scene,
and the mountains ain't so keen.
I'd rather rumble in the urban jungle
And eat food in streets so mean.

I'll walk til my feet are sore,
ten miles or maybe more.
It's off the chain, I don't feel no pain --
no, cities can't ever be a bore.

• Like 1

We love to travel and have seen quite a bit of the world! DH served 22 years in USMC which helped. We like to try to take at least 2 cruises a year then usually 1-2 land base trips (primarily to visit a kid) that’s about all traveling we can afford. We are so mixed on how much to do as DH gets close to next retirement (job after he retired from military)  we love traveling but we don’t want to miss moments with kids, grandchildren & friends!