Has anyone missed embarkation & had to get on at first port?

American closes boarding at least 10 minutes before the scheduled flight time - and sometimes earlier.  No way I’d accept a 34 minute connection even if it technically meets the Minimum Connection Time.   Americans policy is to allow you to decline the change for a refund or to rebook with certain restrictions based on the length of time of the change, change of equipment, etc - but no matter what you should be able to decline the change.  I’d call your agent back and tell them it’s not about whether American says it’s “doable” but rather that you don’t accept the change and have them offer alternatives (to include the refund if necessary.)  This could be a case of “hang up and call again” for a different agent.

I've had this happen three time when I have booked with Pricelie.com All three times I got a letter from the airline (and priceline) telling me of the change.  The airline letter has always said if there is an issue with this change please contact us.

I have contacted them on two of the changes and they have changed the flight with no fee.  In both instances I was told anything over thirty minutes they will change without a fee.  one of the experiences was with American and one was with Delta.  GET BACK ON THE PHONE AND ESCALATE!!!!!!!

32 minutes ago, BunnyHutt said:

But airlines will not book you on another airline

I have had airlines book me on another airline.  Last year when my flight from FAT to LAX was delayed and I was going to miss my connection from LAX to FLL United booked me onto a FAT to LAX on American and then I carried on with the rest of my Itinerary from LAX back on United.

32 minutes ago, Tree_skier said:

I have had airlines book me on another airline.  Last year when my flight from FAT to LAX was delayed and I was going to miss my connection from LAX to FLL United booked me onto a FAT to LAX on American and then I carried on with the rest of my Itinerary from LAX back on United.

They can do it -- it's just getting rarer and rarer that they'll sign the ticket over to an airline they don't have a partnership with. It's not something I would ever count on, especially as you could end up with a by the books gate agent that decides it's your fault for not being able to make a (unrealistically short but) legal connection. 

• Like 1

If you are a member of AA's frequent flyer program and they have a special phone number call that one, especially if you have status. I only deal with Delta, but I know if I really need help I have to call the medallion number, the regular agents are clueless.

25 minutes ago, smplybcause said:

They can do it -- it's just getting rarer and rarer that they'll sign the ticket over to an airline they don't have a partnership with. It's not something I would ever count on, especially as you could end up with a by the books gate agent that decides it's your fault for not being able to make a (unrealistically short but) legal connection. 

This. 

I would push hard to have AA put you on the later flight on their own metal. If you miss your connection, it could honestly be days before the next available flight depending on loads. 

I have made changes many times because the airlines change schedules/connections/aircraft so often. I call and explain the problem, say 'this is too short of a connection, I would prefer to be on flight xxxx with more time'. I don't ask them for suggestions on what to do. It has even worked when I book through Chase Rewards portal (I think that is expedia). 

I would try AA again. Don't mention Hopper. Just say the connection is too short and have another flight number ready. 

Edited by marci22

If you decide to stick with this flight I would purchase 3rd party trip insurance.  Two good online consolidators are insuremytrip.com and squaremouth.com. You may already have coverage through your credit card so check that out.

But first I would make a strong effort to get Hopper to change the flight.  Ask American to send you an email documenting that the connection is too tight and then you won't be playing "he said, she said" with the TA.

This is what it says on the website terms of service, so not sure why AA won't do anything?

If you purchase third-party goods and services that you located through the App, your contract is with the third-party seller (such as an airline or hotel). We are only acting as a broker to refer you to the seller of those goods or provider of those services (and possibly to process payments). We are not a party to your contract with the third-party, nor do we act as agent for either you or that third party. We are merely an intermediary, and charge a small intermediary fee or commission.

Phoenix is an annoying transfer. There are moving walkways, but 34 minutes will mean running. Ive done it tons of times. You can do it if you hustle. Have the AA app downloaded so you know exactly what gate youre landing on and where youre departing. Look at the map so you dont waste any time going the wrong way.

Phoenix is also an AA hub, so if you miss your flight, you will be fine. They will get you on another one no problem.

Relax, you have plenty of time to make your cruise.

• Like 1

On one of our flights we had an hour to catch our next flight seemed like plenty of time except that we sat on the tarmac for 20 minutes and then when we got off the plane we were unloaded at gate 12 and our flight was at gate 56 now I know that you're going to a much smaller airport and at the gates will be closer but any think it happen if you're sitting on that tarmac waiting to get unloaded that seems like it's really gonna be stressful I would just rebook 

Edited by Cozzette3

1. 34 minutes is NOT  a legitimate transfer time.  I've flown American more times than I can count, and 45 min is the cutoff for the airline.

2. Did you book your flight for the same day the ship leaves?  If so, this is precisely the reason why most frequent cruisers advocate flying in the day before.....in case the airline screws up.  If your flight is the day before, check the American website (do a mock booking), and see what flights are after your connecting flight.  Jot them down.  If you miss your flight, you'll have a list of possibly flights to rebook on.  Now, what I do in this case, is I'll also check 2-3 other airlines and have THOSE flights noted as well.  The airline will have to rebook you, at their expense, to get you from the airport you paid to fly from to the airport you paid to fly to.  

3. If all else fails, just rebook the flights.  It's not worth risking the cruise.

Thanks everyone for your suggestions. I called AA back this morning & got a very nice lady, who said it is a legal connection, although very tight. She took the "third party flag" off the reservation, so I don't have to go thru Hopper any longer (one hurdle down!) She advised its still 2 months away & the schedule could change again, but if i'm not comfortable, to contact customer relations via email & explain the situation & see what they can do, hopefully at least waive the change fees, which are more than the cost of the original tickets! I have checked the AA site & there is 1 flight after this one from PHX to YVR & 2 in the morning that would get us to Vancouver in enough time to go straight to the port. We did book 1 day prior, thank God! I'm going to contact them again & just ask to speak to a supervisor, but still email customer relations. I am a loyalty member, but just signed up after we booked these flights, so don't think we'll have a leg to stand on there. I've got a list of earlier in the day flights that I am more comfortable with ready & hope I can get some satisfaction. Hubby is still saying I'm crazy for worrying & doesn't want to spend anymore money, but I'm to the point, what he doesn't know, won't hurt him! 😉

• Like 2

1 hour ago, JHawk63 said:

Thanks everyone for your suggestions. I called AA back this morning & got a very nice lady, who said it is a legal connection, although very tight. She took the "third party flag" off the reservation, so I don't have to go thru Hopper any longer (one hurdle down!) She advised its still 2 months away & the schedule could change again, but if i'm not comfortable, to contact customer relations via email & explain the situation & see what they can do, hopefully at least waive the change fees, which are more than the cost of the original tickets! I have checked the AA site & there is 1 flight after this one from PHX to YVR & 2 in the morning that would get us to Vancouver in enough time to go straight to the port. We did book 1 day prior, thank God! I'm going to contact them again & just ask to speak to a supervisor, but still email customer relations. I am a loyalty member, but just signed up after we booked these flights, so don't think we'll have a leg to stand on there. I've got a list of earlier in the day flights that I am more comfortable with ready & hope I can get some satisfaction. Hubby is still saying I'm crazy for worrying & doesn't want to spend anymore money, but I'm to the point, what he doesn't know, won't hurt him! 😉

Hello,

I understand that you and your husband have a, shall we say, difference of opinion.  As a weekly traveler, I would not put myself in the situation that you have unfortunately ended up in.   If I can make a slightly different suggestion.  It looks like you are leaving from OKC.    Is there a possibility of changing your flight to DFW?  its about a 3 hour drive, but they have several non stops a day to Vancouver which could possibly eliminate many of your challenges?    I am sure there are change fee's etc, that may make this a bad option for you, but... as a weekly business traveler, this is how my brain works.  

I suggest you go into AA's website and do a mock booking.  You can see the flights that you may have to take if you miss your connection in PHX.  Click on the word "Seats" on the flight.  You will be able to see how many seats are still available.  If there are only a few make sure you point that out to the AA representative and it may make a difference in waiving the change fee and rebooking you on an earlier flight.  If there are a lot of seats available then you can stop worrying so much.  Even if there are  a lot of seats available keep checking as you get closer.  If there are only a few seats on the next flight it may also help change your husband's opinions as well since the risk goes up.

• Like 1

Every time my flight changes i have always gotten a notice about the change and they have always offered me a one time free change if the update wasn’t acceptable. I usually book through Travelocity, but would be able to change it directly on Deltas website. It just happened last month. The change was only like a half hour so I elected not to change it. 

Every airport has a legal iata minimum connecting time, sometimes different airlines will have exception, usually longer. You could try a Google search to find out what the MCT is in PHX

For a domestic flight 30 minutes is legal.  However for flying internationally I'm surprised they are implementing a 30 minute rule.  You are flying to YVR right?

Normally international has different conditions primarily because there is a larger focus on bags flying with passengers on the same plane.  This is a heightened security issue on international flights and could become more of an issue trying to clear Canada customs without your luggage should they not make the connection even if you do.  

In future discussions I would emphasize the international component and specifically that you need to ensure your luggage travels on the same plane as you do.  

Say stuff like...

"Since I am flying internationally, how would I clear customs in that country if I made the connection but my bags didn't?"

"Is it legal for my bags to fly internationally on later flight if I make the connection but my luggage doesn't"

"Will American Airline ensure my bags clear Canada customs without me and have them delivered to my hotel in Canada before my cruise?"

The international aspect and direct questions of this nature may wake them up and get them out of thinking domestically like 95% of what they deal with.  With the right CSR on the line they'll move your flights.  

• Like 4

4 hours ago, twangster said:

For a domestic flight 30 minutes is legal.  However for flying internationally I'm surprised they are implementing a 30 minute rule.  You are flying to YVR right?

Normally international has different conditions primarily because there is a larger focus on bags flying with passengers on the same plane.  This is a heightened security issue on international flights and could become more of an issue trying to clear Canada customs without your luggage should they not make the connection even if you do.  

In future discussions I would emphasize the international component and specifically that you need to ensure your luggage travels on the same plane as you do.  

Say stuff like...

"Since I am flying internationally, how would I clear customs in that country if I made the connection but my bags didn't?"

"Is it legal for my bags to fly internationally on later flight if I make the connection but my luggage doesn't"

"Will American Airline ensure my bags clear Canada customs without me and have them delivered to my hotel in Canada before my cruise?"

The international aspect and direct questions of this nature may wake them up and get them out of thinking domestically like 95% of what they deal with.  With the right CSR on the line they'll move your flights.  

Why would there be a Problem Clearing customs without your luggage? It´s Happening every day all around the workd and customs on´t even know if you were supposed to have more luggage than there is Right there with you.

Luggage flies around the world every day without the Person it belongs to being OnBoard, of Course that is legal. The Airlines forwn About the luggage making it and the Pax not, that´s when they will offload the luggage, but have you ever heard About PAX being offloaded when their luggage didn´t make it? 

Of Course the Airline will deliver your bags after international flights, how Long that may take is another Story though. If your luggage has no forbidden articles / substances in it there will be no issue with Clearing customs either. Of Course the Airline won´t guarantee this, as they can´t know what you ay pack.

I´ve had all of this Happening to me and These Question won´t make a Change as they are non-issues in international travel. PITA for the PAX, but non-issues in regards to legality. 

I've had the same experience twice.  For what it's worth, I now book 2-days out on any  West Coast cruises and will pay extra for direct flights when possible.

The first time we booked airfare through Celebrity  for an Alaskan anniversary & vow renewal cruise about 15 years ago.  Thanks to a weather delay, we only had about 15 minutes between connections.  We ran  (with 3 children) to our next plane in the St. Louis airport.  We barely made the connecting flight to Anchorage,  but our luggage didn't.   The planes were so late that the Celebrity shuttle from Anchorage to the port left the airport, and had to be called back for the large number of cruise passengers on our flight.  The ship was held for us, and  our check-in was on-board at the Purser's desk.  Our luggage finally caught up with us on Day 3 of the cruise,.    

The 2nd time was last year for another cruise to Alaska.   We booked our own flights.  United changed my flight to one with a 30 minute connection.  Like OP, I tried to get more connecting time,  unsuccessfully pointing to the fact that they were counting from landing (not de-boarding) and that boarding gates actually closed before the departure time.   

When I checked in,  I asked about having a shuttle cart waiting when we landed that could whisk us to Gate #2 (I have a bad ankle now so my running days are over).  The person at the gate said to talk to the stewardess and have them arrange it.  The stewardess  then said that I'd have to ask the arrival gate person to call for one or flag one down.  I discovered several nearby passengers were really worried about the same short connection!  When we landed, there was nobody at the gate.  Yes....we all ran (or hobbled) to the next gate together.  We made it, and this time so did our luggage!!!  The second flight had also been delayed by 10 minutes or so, and the airports have gotten much better about baggage transfers.

Anyway, I'd keep trying to get different flights even if you have to add another day.  I'd also pack a change of clothes in my carry-on bag and make sure your itinerary is in the checked bag, based on the 1st experience! 

Edited by Truluv
Corrected typo

7 hours ago, Bookworm1985 said:

Every time my flight changes i have always gotten a notice about the change ...

You are fortunate, we've had several flight changes with no notice given.

• Like 1