Formal sandals?

57redbird

7 minutes ago, 57redbird said:

'formal sandals'

I'll be honest with you and say I think the whole genre is pretty ridiculous.  Try looking at pictures of the British Royal Family at formal events.  You won't see a sign of them.  Oh, wait, now these I find lovely.

https://shop.nordstrom.com/c/womens-sandals-shop/filter/evening~8000544_60197365

29 minutes ago, 57redbird said:

BTW - we're looking at a PG cruise & you need 'formal sandals' in all of their restaurants every night unless you do their version of the Lido.

If PG means Paul Gauguin then you must have seen a very outdated site.  Here is the current one:

What is the dress code for evenings?

Country Club Casual, or elegant resort wear, is appropriate dress for all evenings aboard The Gauguin. Country Club Casual consists of a dress, or skirt or slacks with a blouse or sweater for ladies, and slacks and collared shirts for gentleman. No ties are required at any time, although gentlemen may opt to wear a jacket to the Captain’s Welcome Reception. Please note that casual wear such as shorts, t-shirts, casual jeans (frayed and/or with holes), baseball caps, flip-flops, and Crocs are not considered appropriate after 6:00 p.m. in all restaurants and lounges. Bathrobes and bathing suits are not appropriate in the ship’s restaurants and lounges, and shirts and shoes are required in all public areas at all times.

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, clo said:

If PG means Paul Gauguin then you must have seen a very outdated site.  Here is the current one:

What is the dress code for evenings?

Country Club Casual, or elegant resort wear, is appropriate dress for all evenings aboard The Gauguin. Country Club Casual consists of a dress, or skirt or slacks with a blouse or sweater for ladies, and slacks and collared shirts for gentleman. No ties are required at any time, although gentlemen may opt to wear a jacket to the Captain’s Welcome Reception. Please note that casual wear such as shorts, t-shirts, casual jeans (frayed and/or with holes), baseball caps, flip-flops, and Crocs are not considered appropriate after 6:00 p.m. in all restaurants and lounges. Bathrobes and bathing suits are not appropriate in the ship’s restaurants and lounges, and shirts and shoes are required in all public areas at all times.

No, as a matter of fact I was just looking on Saturday...I hope that is current but thanks.

3 hours ago, 57redbird said:

Yep -- I just went back & looked....you're right, thank heavens!

Hopefully anyone who replied to this thread can now feel comfortable leaving those shoes at home.

• Like 1

On 7/20/2019 at 6:25 PM, RedHeadTexan said:

These are my formal sandals for cruises.  I bought them on Amazon a couple of years ago for $35. 

I agree that it means NOT rubber flip flops.  These sandals are great (quoted) and this is exactly what I would consider a 'formal sandal'...nothing with a cushion-y rubber sole (like a flip flop sole) IMO, is a formal sandal (even if it has rhinestones on top)...to each their own!  

I have a bunch of sandals with sparkles that I love wearing...have had them for years and years, still wear them, and they've served me well...similar to the ones below (can't find pics online of mine, they were purchased so long ago).

I also like height, so I have a lot of wedge type sandals that really work almost any time of year where I live...and definitely on a cruise.

https://www.zappos.com/p/badgley-mischka-lucia-teal-vachetta/product/9203156/color/805030?ref=pd_vh

https://www.floryday.com/Women-S-Rhinestone-Flats-Sparkling-Glitter-Flat-Heel-Sandals-m1201302?currency=USD&country_code=US&utm_term=5289767&utm_source=bing&utm_medium=cpc-pla&utm_campaign=261880913&utm_term=1153388225605583&utm_content=4575686360150774&ggntk=o&ggcid=72086819943441&ggkey=4575686360150774&ggqry=sparkle flat sandal&ggdev=c&ggtgt=pla-4575686360150774&msclkid=cb8a7d4bd6531bc049312077bfcfe43b

https://shop.nordstrom.com/s/steve-madden-micah-espadrille-wedge-sandal-women/5340847?origin=keywordsearch-personalizedsort&breadcrumb=Home%2FAll Results&color=blush nubuck

https://www.saksfifthavenue.com/stuart-weitzman-jean-cork-wedge-slingback-sandals/product/0400010855130?FOLDER<>folder_id=2534374306622397&R=827928740166&P_name=Stuart+Weitzman&Ntt=wedge&N=306622397

I just bought these recently and they are super cute...can never have too many shoes!  🙂

https://www.saksfifthavenue.com/sam-edelman-deena-raffia-wedge-sandals/product/0400010180974?FOLDER<>folder_id=2534374306622397&R=736712102212&P_name=Sam+Edelman&Ntt=wedge&N=306622397

https://www.saksfifthavenue.com/christian-louboutin-reine-de-liege-platform-suede-wedges/product/0400010267916?FOLDER<>folder_id=2534374306622397&R=400102679393&P_name=Christian+Louboutin&Ntt=wedge&N=306622397

Edited by CutieKakes

You won't catch me in sandals, especially "blingy" ones.  Well, just my Keen Newports...

I just pack one of my pairs of Jambu flats and be done with it.  Right now, I'm wearing a pair of Bamboos at work while my broken toe heals.  Work requires closed toe and heel, so they work great.  I've got some older pairs of Jambus that I can't remember the name (no longer made) that have just a back strap that I usually take on vacation.  They are vegan and water-OK.  They have worked for me on the beaches in Hawaii and Mexico, and worked in a Michelin-starred restaurant for dinner.  

Can the OP give the place where the blingy sandal thing came up?  I did a quick check of the Paul Gaugin site and only found this  on the site:

"What is the dress code for evenings?

Country Club Casual, or elegant resort wear, is appropriate dress for all evenings aboard The Gauguin. Country Club Casual consists of a dress, or skirt or slacks with a blouse or sweater for ladies, and slacks and collared shirts for gentleman. No ties are required at any time, although gentlemen may opt to wear a jacket to the Captain’s Welcome Reception. Please note that casual wear such as shorts, t-shirts, casual jeans (frayed and/or with holes), baseball caps, flip-flops, and Crocs are not considered appropriate after 6:00 p.m. in all restaurants and lounges. Bathrobes and bathing suits are not appropriate in the ship’s restaurants and lounges, and shirts and shoes are required in all public areas at all times."

2 hours ago, slidergirl said:

You won't catch me in sandals, especially "blingy" ones.  Well, just my Keen Newports...

I just pack one of my pairs of Jambu flats and be done with it.  Right now, I'm wearing a pair of Bamboos at work while my broken toe heals.  Work requires closed toe and heel, so they work great.  I've got some older pairs of Jambus that I can't remember the name (no longer made) that have just a back strap that I usually take on vacation.  They are vegan and water-OK.  They have worked for me on the beaches in Hawaii and Mexico, and worked in a Michelin-starred restaurant for dinner.  

Can the OP give the place where the blingy sandal thing came up?  I did a quick check of the Paul Gaugin site and only found this  on the site:

"What is the dress code for evenings?

Country Club Casual, or elegant resort wear, is appropriate dress for all evenings aboard The Gauguin. Country Club Casual consists of a dress, or skirt or slacks with a blouse or sweater for ladies, and slacks and collared shirts for gentleman. No ties are required at any time, although gentlemen may opt to wear a jacket to the Captain’s Welcome Reception. Please note that casual wear such as shorts, t-shirts, casual jeans (frayed and/or with holes), baseball caps, flip-flops, and Crocs are not considered appropriate after 6:00 p.m. in all restaurants and lounges. Bathrobes and bathing suits are not appropriate in the ship’s restaurants and lounges, and shirts and shoes are required in all public areas at all times."

It was on the PG site when I first looked at it but it seems to have been modified since then.

11 hours ago, CutieKakes said:

Wow - nothing personal and no offense intended, but those are really high and look hard to walk in...?.... 

~ for me, anyway. 😉

8 hours ago, Langley Cruisers said:

Wow - nothing personal and no offense intended, but those are really high and look hard to walk in...?.... 

~ for me, anyway. 😉

For me as well.  We all have our likes and dislikes and what is comfortable for one person, someone else would not be able to wear, clothing/accessories/etc, whatever the case might be.   Those are very high heels.

3 hours ago, CutieKakes said:

I wear all heights of shoes and love high high heels...I don't find them hard to walk in...to each their own.  🙂

I wish I could wear a heel.  Once I shattered my one leg and had a plate and screws down to the ankle, that "shattered" that idea.  The highest thing I can do is my cowboy boots and even then I can't wear them all day.   I have a pair of Rothy's but I can only wear them for a little time since they have no supportive insole and I don't have enough room to add one.

On 7/28/2019 at 7:05 AM, CutieKakes said:

I wear all heights of shoes and love high high heels...I don't find them hard to walk in...to each their own.  🙂

Totally.  And it's not likely that you're going to wear on a long hike 🙂   I mean hard far is it to the dining room?

• Haha 1

33 minutes ago, CutieKakes said:

Exactly!  LOL

Some years ago a neighbor had a party.  I wore some boots with a really, really high heel.  Our host asked it I could walk in them and I replied "no, but they look really hot, don't they?" 🙂

• Haha 1

On 7/28/2019 at 7:05 AM, CutieKakes said:

1 hour ago, clo said:

Totally.  And it's not likely that you're going to wear on a long hike 🙂   I mean hard far is it to the dining room?

Yes, and that's fine. For me, in my present state as a cancer patient, I couldn't walk to the dining room in that heel. I wish I could but I can't anymore. 😕

1 minute ago, Langley Cruisers said:

Yes, and that's fine. For me, in my present state as a cancer patient, I couldn't walk to the dining room in that heel. I wish I could but I can't anymore. 😕

I'm sorry to read of your "present state" and wish you all the best.

I've pretty much stopped with the high heels but as you can see from above a really pretty flat to me is more appropriate option for formal than some blingy sandal.  But I'm low key in all my dressing.

• 2 weeks later...
On 7/20/2019 at 10:05 PM, 57redbird said:

Thank you all --- it's Paul Gauguin --- no flip flops or sandals but 'formal sandals' are ok.

I wore black leather thong-style sandals with a 1/2" heel and a bit of bling on the strap to dinner every night on the PG.  They were fine and along the same lines as everyone else in terms of the level of dressy.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Mom has worn a black neoprene Merrell slide with a black sock.  Under her pants no one notices and even if they did they wouldn't say anything to a 'woman of a certain age'.