Fairbanks or Anchorage?

Devoira

Hi all!

I am looking at taking my second-ever cruise this August, going to Alaska from Vancouver, 11 day Denali Explorer: 7 day cruise, 4 day land.

There are two options. One ends in Fairbanks with Riverboat Discovery Tour included, the other in Anchorage. 

Any suggestions on which city might be better?

And does anyone know if it is possible to see the Northern Lights late August from either?

It’s not so much the ending cities as it is what you see and do on the four days after the cruise.  Look at the full itinerary and decide what suits you best.

Northern Lights are unlikely in August; the darkest it gets is Nautical twilight and they would be very difficult to see.

• Thanks 1

10 hours ago, Devoira said:

Hi all!

I am looking at taking my second-ever cruise this August, going to Alaska from Vancouver, 11 day Denali Explorer: 7 day cruise, 4 day land.

There are two options. One ends in Fairbanks with Riverboat Discovery Tour included, the other in Anchorage. 

Any suggestions on which city might be better?

And does anyone know if it is possible to see the Northern Lights late August from either?

I have lived in Alaska for 21 years and I have seen the Northern Lights a half dozen times in August... You are much more likely to see them in Fairbanks but I have enjoyed them while camping on the Spit in Homer at the tip of the Kenai Peninsula in early August! We currently enjoy a dark starry hour or so about 2-3AM but it is a very short "night"!

Which city is better? It completely depends on what you want to see... There are beautiful museums and historical sights around both cities. I would probably recommend Anchorage and highly recommend the Natural History Museum and the Native Heritage Center as excellent day tours.

I hope you have a great time on your trip no matter what you do in our great state!

• Thanks 1