Music on the open decks

Tablelamp

From Tablelamp.  So many passengers now listen to their own choice of music via headphones that I am at a loss to understand why intrusive and often too loud music continues to be played.  When I have asked for it to be turned down, I am told that “it is what the passengers want”.  Has anybody ever been asked?

The only time I’ve noticed it, was when inappropriately timed music was being played on one cruise. Every morning at about 8am at the buffet/outside area, was ‘I’m a sex bomb’ at full blast.  I’d have preferred something more relaxing for the Fjords...

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

On Britannia the rear deck behind the buffet area had Bollywood music being played every morning around 7.30  At first it slightly irritated by it but by the end of the cruise I quite enjoyed it. It wasn’t intrusive or loud just playing in the background. Looking back now I think I would have preferred a mixture of music but it wasn’t a problem.

1 hour ago, terrierjohn said:

One thing that does irritate a little is when they play the same selection at the same time every day, when with just a little thought they could aim to start it up at a different point each day.

On Britannia's repo from the Caribbean in March 2018 we had a really good band who played by the pool,even though they were good after nearly 2 weeks the repetative nature does get to you!

Having just retired it began to bring back wonderful memories of a typical night shift with the local radio station playing the same songs hour after hour after hour after...................!

It's interesting how, as a society, we seem to be adverse to quiet.  When the music in a dining menu or a social event is so loud that one cannot converse without shouting, it's too loud and we speak up. If more people would do so instead of just suffering with it, things might change.

11 hours ago, Presto2 said:

A few years back on Oceana we often had Abide with Me at breakfast so consider yourselves lucky ...... bizzar 

If they played that at breakfast, I'd be worrying that the ship was in imminent danger of sinking!

More generally, I don't mind piped music in the bars so long as it isn't loud enough to impede conversation, but everywhere else I'd prefer silence. But ashore as well as aboard a ship, that seems to be becoming an increasingly rare commodity these days.

47 minutes ago, brillo said:

I have yet to be on a ship where you could not find a quiet area with no music, personally I like to hear music in the main deck area each to their own. 

Totally agree. 

If silence was everywhere it would be like a morgue, but it's nice to have some quiet places.

Andy

• Like 1

It is when you get the Christmas music in mid June as part of the shuffle of music that it is a bit annoying. I found myself humming along quite impressed with myself that I knew the tune (which I don’t for a lot of modern music) and that I was cool and down with the sounds  - until I realised what it was. 

Now on a Christmas cruise I love the music around the ship.

Im fine with music as long as it is not deafening.

2 hours ago, jh1809 said:

If they played that at breakfast, I'd be worrying that the ship was in imminent danger of sinking!

More generally, I don't mind piped music in the bars so long as it isn't loud enough to impede conversation, but everywhere else I'd prefer silence. But ashore as well as aboard a ship, that seems to be becoming an increasingly rare commodity these days.

• Some companies used to use certain pieces of music for alerts. Many years ago I worked for a well known department store sadly no longer with use which used The Blue Danube as an alert for a bomb scare, it told the staff to start their search of the area they were working in. When they had the all clear the music used was Blaze Away. Only the staff knew what it meant, the public carried on as normal. Just makes me wonder about Abide With Me, very odd!)

16 minutes ago, Rupert2251 said:
  • Some companies used to use certain pieces of music for alerts. Many years ago I worked for a well known department store sadly no longer with use which used The Blue Danube as an alert for a bomb scare, it told the staff to start their search of the area they were working in. When they had the all clear the music used was Blaze Away. Only the staff knew what it meant, the public carried on as normal. Just makes me wonder about Abide With Me, very odd!)

Really interesting and that would explain random music perfectly.

I only hear loud music around the pool if there is an advertised DJ session over lunchtime, or when a live group is playing, and even then its not always too pound for normal conversation. At other times its usually just in the background and rarely too loud.

Edited by terrierjohn
  • Like 2

7 hours ago, Monorail Orange said:

I found the music played in Britannia's pool area far too loud. But didn't bother me, as you couldn't find a seat anyway...

Which pool there is no music in Serenity

Abide with me was my father's favourite hymn and since he died a couple of years ago I tend to get a bit tearful when I hear it. So they'd better not play it on any of my cruises or there will be a problem.

6 hours ago, Rupert2251 said:

This made me laugh so much. It was on a loop of traditional British music - think there was all sorts on there. It wasn't just once but almost every breakfast we went to, same tracks on the 'CD'.  It always made us laugh. Funnily it was one of the best cruises we have ever had … and we stayed afloat !!!! Even funnier that no one else seemed to notice !!

1 minute ago, Clodia said:

Abide with me was my father's favourite hymn and since he died a couple of years ago I tend to get a bit tearful when I hear it. So they'd better not play it on any of my cruises or there will be a problem.

Didn't hear it on Azura in April -- hopefully they have changed the tracks …..