Book directly with Celebrity or a TA - an example

ghstudio

10 hours ago, Shadow9612 said:

Thanks @Hlitner - I always appreciate your insights and experience. 

I have trouble finding those levels of benefits from Canadian TAs. I'd love to hear success stories from others in Canada, if they have been that successful ...

Shadow9612  You might try your local big box warehouse online travel store.  I believe you will find that 7 to 10% in rebates is the norm there.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Shadow9612 said:

True, I have read about success here on CC from UK cruisers using US agencies.  I don't know why I've been reluctant to try - fear of the unknown I suppose 😫:classic_blink:. I should just do it lol!

We’ve been doing it for years, mainly for the greater flexibility and extra OBC.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, prish said:

Want to give myself some time to shop around within the 60 day period. No complaints about our current TA but still want to see what else is out there. Any suggestions from the OP, greenymac and FreestyleNovice...?

Post #11, that's the one I tend to use most. 

:classic_happy:

Edited by FreestyleNovice
spelling

I guess the editors are active on this thread as my reply was deleted. 

It would be great if people replied in percentages of their TA’s discounts as that’s a valid and comparable measure for any cruiser. 

We are averaging 12% in total cruise price discount using our TA that isn’t an online TA. It’s achieved by a combination of of percentages off; cash back card and annual rebates based upon credit card and membership. 

I am am reading this and many threads to gauge total percentages off cruise fare to determine if I am getting my best deal and value. 

Would love to to read about other’s experiences in percentages so I can “weigh” value of TAs. 

Hopefully I’ve kept this post generic enough to Keep it on this thread. 

52 minutes ago, CA_Cruzing said:

I guess the editors are active on this thread as my reply was deleted. 

It would be great if people replied in percentages of their TA’s discounts as that’s a valid and comparable measure for any cruiser. 

We are averaging 12% in total cruise price discount using our TA that isn’t an online TA. It’s achieved by a combination of of percentages off; cash back card and annual rebates based upon credit card and membership. 

I am am reading this and many threads to gauge total percentages off cruise fare to determine if I am getting my best deal and value. 

Would love to to read about other’s experiences in percentages so I can “weigh” value of TAs. 

Hopefully I’ve kept this post generic enough to Keep it on this thread. 

We can chat onboard Reflection. We booked with a large online high volume TA we've used for many years. Our booking price for the cabin was $700 less than X's published prices. In addition we have all 4 perks plus an extra $150 OBC from X above the $300. We also got another 10% back in OBC from the TA. 

• Like 3

5 hours ago, prish said:

Want to give myself some time to shop around within the 60 day period. No complaints about our current TA but still want to see what else is out there. Any suggestions from the OP, greenymac and FreestyleNovice...?

I consulted different big TAs until I got an offer that was just above and beyond the others. One offered a cash card, but one offered OBC and on top of that helped me save another $200 off our rates. All in all the switch was +$800 for us. I was more than happy.

11 hours ago, cobber1967 said:

Shadow9612  You might try your local big box warehouse online travel store.  I believe you will find that 7 to 10% in rebates is the norm there.

I think this might be a great start for me, thank you @cobber1967.  Do you know if they are easy to work with if I find a price reduction on cruise fare before final payment?  Will they honour the price drop ?

1 hour ago, Shadow9612 said:

I think this might be a great start for me, thank you @cobber1967.  Do you know if they are easy to work with if I find a price reduction on cruise fare before final payment?  Will they honour the price drop ?

Although I haven't done that specifically.  I believe they will as it is not a problem for them to cancel and rebook at a lower price if it is before final payment.  On our most recent booking for a cruise this Sept. I noticed a slight price drop, called our big box TA and they were able to upgrade the cabin category for no change in price, everything else stayed the same.  I received approx 8.4% in the form of a cash card on the total cruise price net taxes and fees.

• Like 1

This is all great information. My husband and I are taking our first cruise in ten years next month and booked directly with Celebrity way back in October. I still feel like we got a good deal, but I wish I had known it's possible to get more perks by transferring to a travel agent. I had no idea you could even do that!  We are already contemplating booking another cruise while on board, and if so we will definitely shop around for a TA later to get a better deal on it.  

On 7/21/2019 at 11:35 AM, Luvcrusn said:

We can chat onboard Reflection. We booked with a large online high volume TA we've used for many years. Our booking price for the cabin was $700 less than X's published prices. In addition we have all 4 perks plus an extra $150 OBC from X above the $300. We also got another 10% back in OBC from the TA. 

It sounds like you got a very good deal.  Is this type of discount normal or was this a special circumstance?  Would I be on the right track if tried to make a Connection with a TA?

Does anyone know how/if Celebrity actually does a "Best Price"/Match Guarantee?

What does it really mean?  

I once approached our big box TA and Celebrity about matching a TA out of the UK...which had a lower cabin price plus perks for our booked sailing. BOth the Big Box TA and Celebrity said they would NOT match it...

dh asks me from time to time about these "Best Price" guarantees which imho are worthless 

• Like 1

FogFog...listen to you DH 🙂 

Your only price protection is that you can cancel and rebook your cruise, subject to any penalties you might have.  

Celebrity doesn't do any price matching/price adjustments after final payment is due.

Edited by ghstudio

1 hour ago, ghstudio said:

FogFog...listen to you DH 🙂 

Your only price protection is that you can cancel and rebook your cruise, subject to any penalties you might have.  

Celebrity doesn't do any price matching/price adjustments after final payment is due.

My call to the TA and Celebrity re Price match etc was long before final payment

We were not willing to cancel and lose our cabin

In the end--we had the cabin rerated several times--and even once after final payment (when looking at moving into a suite)

Poitn being--what is the Point/benefit of the Celebrity "best price guarantee" IF TAs are able to beat them with OBC/perks etc... then clearly Celebrity is NOT giving you the Best Price on that date. Right?

1 minute ago, Fogfog said:

My call to the TA and Celebrity re Price match etc was long before final payment

We were not willing to cancel and lose our cabin

In the end--we had the cabin rerated several times--and even once after final payment (when looking at moving into a suite)

Poitn being--what is the Point/benefit of the Celebrity "best price guarantee" IF TAs are able to beat them with OBC/perks etc... then clearly Celebrity is NOT giving you the Best Price on that date. Right?

Price matching is "marketing" in most cases.  It's been around in the appliance/entertainment space for a very long time and the manufacturers create a special model number for a chain of stores so you can't price match.  Try to match best buy to local discount chain...different model numbers for the exact same product.  Want to match Celebrity's prices....they match the base price without the perks and they are the same everywhere....except for groups, but celebrity won't match to group prices...even if they post the group price on their web page when you price a cruise (yes, they've done that...posted a "travel agent only" rate and refused to match it).

• Thanks 1

Great savings!  👍

I only started using TA's recently and finding myself routinely saving around 10% if I count the perks.  And I don't even look very hard. If I wanted to spend more time shopping I could probably save more but the ROI of my time wouldn't be worth it at that point for me.  too bad I started too late and now almost all lines only give me 30 to 60 days to do the transfer to a TA.  

now a question to frequent Celebrity cruisers who use American Express cards: do you ever receive offers from Amex like the ones with Princess or HAL?  looks to me American express only works with Carnival brands. 

Here is a simple maxim: 

You may (and probably will) get a lower total price (fare less any OBC) with a TA than with Celebrity.

You never will get a lower total price with Celebrity than a TA.

And no, it is not "too much work" for us to save multiple thousands of $$$ a year.

In the US when you see a price lower than Celebrity it's generally that the TA has booked group space at a better rate (possibly months prior) and are allowed to sell that inventory at that rate.  I don't believe RCI allows TA's to discount prevailing rates at all.  That's why most times the TA benefits come in the form of OBC which they redirect to you from their commission.  I also believe Celebrity has rules that they can not exceed 10% of the commission-able cruise fare in additional OBC.  This is just what I have deduced from many experiences booking Celebrity cruises.

5 hours ago, ipeeinthepool said:

It sounds like you got a very good deal.  Is this type of discount normal or was this a special circumstance?  Would I be on the right track if tried to make a Connection with a TA?

My TA was having a limited time sale. However their current rates and perks offerings on the same cruise although not up to the level we received are still far better in value than what is being offered by X direct  and the room rates are significantly less and more perks are offered. Whether or not you choose to seek out a TA is of course entirely your choice. Good luck whatever you choose.

On 7/21/2019 at 6:51 AM, FreestyleNovice said:

Depending on this or next month's offers you mean?

Regarding your question; I tend to be a smart cruiser. Most of the times and very happy.

I see you have been a smart cruiser for some time. How has your experience been with an online TA and what kind of perks can one expect? I paid about 8k for 4 next summer on the Apex in Europe and was offered an additional $500 obc. is that good or should I shop around?

34 minutes ago, caggfamily said:

I see you have been a smart cruiser for some time. How has your experience been with an online TA and what kind of perks can one expect? I paid about 8k for 4 next summer on the Apex in Europe and was offered an additional $500 obc. is that good or should I shop around?

I'd say look for about 10-12% if you can.... I have only used a TA once and my return back in OBC was about 11% of my cruise fare. Maybe more experienced cruisers can weigh in.

1 hour ago, caggfamily said:

I paid just short of $9k for two, leaving next month. I got $1150 obc from a big online travel agency, but that included some loyalty bonus and some for booking during a particular sale.

1 hour ago, caggfamily said:

I would definitely shop around.  For comparison, on a cruise where we paid less than $3200, our TA offered us $225.  For a cruise that was a bit less than $12K, we got $400 OBC and $1000 cash back.  IME, the more expensive the cruise, the higher the percentage we receive in OBC/cash back/cash cards (from the big box TA).

The best deal I've got so far was booking a group booking which was more than half the price advertised for that same category (was for RCL, but same idea). We actually did that 7 day cruise + 6 day cruise for cheaper than the advertised price on the 7 day cruise. 

Right now, for my next cruise, a 1A with 3 perks + TA OBC  that we modified 3 weeks ago to take some additional money off is cheaper than the then advertised price for a 2D non refundable with no perk.

So yeah. Group booking. Good TA. Gonna love it 🙂

Edited by angelhelly

1 hour ago, hiccups said:

I would definitely shop around.  For comparisBon, on a cruise where we paid less than $3200, our TA offered us $225.  For a cruise that was a bit less than $12K, we got $400 OBC and $1000 cash back.  IME, the more expensive the cruise, the higher the percentage we receive in OBC/cash back/cash cards (from the big box TA).

By "big box TA" are you talking about members only warehouse clubs or something else?