Pay for cruise, no credit

riceowl

3 hours ago, *Miss G* said:

Did you try the credit card company you made the booking with?  You may have some options there with regard to trip insurance.  

Good advice here.....check with your credit card company.  Many of us aren’t aware of all of the benefits our cards offer.  They may cover part of the cost.

I fully believe in Travel Insurance, pricey or not.  I was caught in a very dicey position 3 years ago.  I had broken my elbow and had to have surgery.  Unfortunately it was within the pre-existing time that my travel insurance would  not have covered so, I was literally done like a dinner if I couldn’t travel.

Fortunately, I was able to do so but, on my next cruise I opted for HAL’s insurance.  Had I done that the cruise before, I wouldn’t have been sweating bullets.  It’s basically a cancel for any reason and my credit card covers my airfare, etc.

I haven’t been able to find a cancel for any reason other than HAL - everything is medical and stuff can happen - whether it be an accident at the wrong time that disqualifies you, a badly ill dog, whatever.

HAL’s insurance used to be too expensive but as we get older and our wait time for pre-existing conditions lengthens, it’s starting to make sense for us.  

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, kazu said:

I haven’t been able to find a cancel for any reason other than HAL - everything is medical and stuff can happen - whether it be an accident at the wrong time that disqualifies you, a badly ill dog, whatever.

That's why we buy HAL's Platinum CPP. Once DH got a very bad cold just a few days before a cruise and was coughing a lot. We worried that he might be denied boarding if he was observed coughing heavily in the check-in line so we canceled and got back most of our money promptly.  I doubt 3rd party insurance would have paid.

How is it that people can afford $8,000* cruises but cannot afford or won't buy insurance?  Why not choose a lower priced suite and buy insurance?  I'm sorry for your loss of $$ but HAL owes you nothing.  If HAL started refunding everyone without insurance then the price of cruises would go up for the rest of us who use common sense and buy cruises that fit our budget which includes insurance.  

• Like 1

2 hours ago, rafinmd said:

I think OP's issue here is the lack of credit and I five some symphony there but those are the  rules and they were probably designed for other situations.  I expect if credit was given for cruises not sailed people would be booking 1 day cruises without showing up to get to the next mariner level before a cruise and it could easily start family fights about who paid for a cruise.  It's unfortunate but I don't know of any loyalty program for travel not completed.

Roy

Since most of those have as a requirement to get the points that you must actually sail, I agree.

I find it interesting that this is the second thread on the same subject  "had to cancel cruise, but I should still get credit for the days sailed because they kept my money" in 2 days.  Other one is on the Carnival forum.

1 minute ago, Shmoo here said:

Since most of those have as a requirement to get the points that you must actually sail, I agree.

I find it interesting that this is the second thread on the same subject  "had to cancel cruise, but I should still get credit for the days sailed because they kept my money" in 2 days.  Other one is on the Carnival forum.

Not just sailing, also airlines and I now also Amtrak Guest Rewards.

Roy

Just booked a cheapie 7 night cruise for 2021.  Still took HAL's Premium plan.  For just over $200.00 (Canadian) it makes no sense not to buy it, even for a cruise that cost less than $2500.00.  I do not have any sympathy for someone who does not insure an $8000.00 cruise and then blames the cruiseline for not offering "something" because he paid for the cruise and then cancels.  Sorry, OP, can't support you on this one!

• Like 2

1 hour ago, dot73 said:

How is it that people can afford $8,000* cruises but cannot afford or won't buy insurance?

It just confuses me....got money for the cruise but not insurance and he lost $8300?

In defense of OP, she didn't say anything about not being able to afford it, or why she didn't buy it.

Maybe if I had booked an el cheapo cruise near the US (say a 3>4 day Pacific coastal in an OV or I) within a couple weeks of cruising I might take a chance on not buying cancellation protection, but not a $8300 one!

Edited by catl331
  • Like 1

riceowl, I, too, hope perhaps your credit card wil have insurance.

On this subject, I got a notice that Citi AAdvantage Platinum Select and Executive World Elite Master Cards and also Citi Prestige cards will be discontinuing travel insurance (among a host of other benefits being discontinued) September 22, 2019.  Insurance will still be valid for bookings prior to the end date.  Just wanted to pass that along.  I liked to use mine as a supplement in the past.

Edited by syesmar
  • Like 1

9 hours ago, ChinaShrek said:

You wont get any sympathy here.  Most HAL posters think the rules should be followed (but of course, the cruise lines write the rules).  HAL could create a lot of goodwill by giving that $8,000 as a credit for a future cruise.  Instead, they create hostility and sadness.  I think it is time to consider a government owned cruise line!

So taxpayers should bail you out on your poor decision and misfortune ? No wonder our society is a mess.

• Like 5

I’m sorry about your injury but tbh your sounding a bit entitled now ... 

I have one of those year long policies that just auto renews itself. It costs very little per month but means I’m covered for every little trip I may take, after all crap can happen at any time. I was once rushing to get into a taxi to the airport for a flight to Greece, dashed into the bathroom for my forgotten toothbrush, stubbed my toe on the edge of the bath and broke it ... it happens ! 

• Like 3

8 hours ago, riceowl said:

I don’t blame HAL for not refunding my money.  Not having insurance (first time ever) was my fault BUT they should credit me with the cruise since I paid fully for it and canceled in time for them to sell it again.  That was my point 

I beg to differ.  You seem to have cancelled with less than a few weeks to go.  I don't know many who would be jumping at the chance to spend $8k PLUS airfare to take a last-minute cruise.

The only thing that each party should do is abide by the contract they agreed to.  It's perfectly fine to feel that they should offer the credit, but the contract you agreed to says they do not.  To expect them to disregard that isn't fair.

• Like 6

22 hours ago, riceowl said:

I don’t blame HAL for not refunding my money.  Not having insurance (first time ever) was my fault BUT they should credit me with the cruise since I paid fully for it and canceled in time for them to sell it again.  That was my point 

I'd check with the Mariner Society.  I had something similar happen on Celebrity in 2016 but was injured during the cruise.  Thankfully credit card insurance refunded the 9 days in a suite that we missed due to my being taken to the hospital in the Canary Islands for a broken femur.  The airlines refunded the price of our return air directly to us after I explained what happened and provided the dates and my surgeon's name/phone number.  But my point is that Celebrity credited our Captain's Club accounts for the full length of the cruise. 

And speaking of insurance, I'd like to add a reminder to know what your medical evacuation coverage really provides.  We opted for me not to have the surgery (and subsequent recovery which stretched into months) in the Canary Islands and were mistakenly under the impression that our health insurance would cover an air ambulance back to the States for surgery.  We wound up paying six figures for that air ambulance flight out of pocket so I could have major surgery in a first world country … a VERY expensive lesson learned but now we don't leave home without MedjetAssist.

Edited by zelker

2 hours ago, zelker said:

I'd check with the Mariner Society.  I had something similar happen on Celebrity in 2016 but was injured during the cruise.  Thankfully credit card insurance refunded the 9 days in a suite that we missed due to my being taken to the hospital in the Canary Islands for a broken femur.  The airlines refunded the price of our return air directly to us after I explained what happened and provided the dates and my surgeon's name/phone number.  But my point is that Celebrity credited our Captain's Club accounts for the full length of the cruise. 

And speaking of insurance, I'd like to add a reminder to know what your medical evacuation coverage really provides.  We opted for me not to have the surgery (and subsequent recovery which stretched into months) in the Canary Islands and were mistakenly under the impression that our health insurance would cover an air ambulance back to the States for surgery.  We wound up paying six figures for that air ambulance flight out of pocket so I could have major surgery in a first world country … a VERY expensive lesson learned but now we don't leave home without MedjetAssist.

Your experience is much different.  The OP cancelled the cruise before sailing.  You were injured while on the cruise, and of course were entitled to something.  And, you were insured and the OP was not.  I hope all went well with your surgery!

Yeah, maybe you guys are right in that we did actually board the ship and sail part of the cruise vs OP's experience so we got points for the entire cruise and not just while actually on the ship. 

And yes, thankfully the surgery went exceptionally well although I wouldn't wish that experience on anyone.  

• Like 1

Anne- I’m sorry you had a fall and ended up in the hospital. Do reach out to your credit card company. You may have some insurance through them that will help, at least a little bit.

On 7/21/2019 at 2:48 PM, dot73 said:

How is it that people can afford $8,000* cruises but cannot afford or won't buy insurance?  Why not choose a lower priced suite and buy insurance?  I'm sorry for your loss of $$ but HAL owes you nothing.  If HAL started refunding everyone without insurance then the price of cruises would go up for the rest of us who use common sense and buy cruises that fit our budget which includes insurance.  

That was my question!