Are people really paying those prices?

ak1004

On Regent an 11-night Med cruise on Explorer (their newest ship) is $60,499 for a Regent Suite, the top category.  However, Regent's suite is 3,026 sf with 2 balconies totaling 1,417 sf.  Celebrity's Iconic Suite is 1,892 sf with a 689 sf balcony.  While both suites get a lot of perks and super service, Regent has some really special benefits.  Business class air. Hotel stay before cruise. Free spa treatments in the suite.  Free private port tours with car, driver and guide. The Regent Master Suite is approximately the same size as the Iconic Suite and goes for $24,099 with free air and hotel.

I've sailed multiple times on Celebrity, Cunard and Regent. Having a suite on the first two is a little different experience as you have special restaurants, lounges and decks, making you feel (and this is always controversial on these boards) somewhat "special".  On Regent everyone is treated the same in common areas and it's hard to tell who's in the least expensive cabin or the top suite.  Regent does give the luxury of not having to be concerned about the cost of drinks (except super-expensive liquor), gratuities (nobody will accept one), the cost of specialty restaurants (you need a reservation, internet or paying for basic shore excursions.  Celebrity is more fun, Cunard is more elegant but Regent is a better deal.

When I started cruising in 2003 I went in with no real expectations. After trying Holland America, Princess, and Norwegian, we figured cruising wasn’t for us and we were ready to walk away, then we tried Celebrity. We found that we loved everything about it. We were up to 40-60 days a year and then the cutbacks and price increases came. We refuse to lower our expectations, that were set by Celebrity, so we walked away. It will be three years in December.

We have moved up to suites to get the cruising satisfaction we used to get from balcony’s. RCL and MSC have fit the bill, as long as we can find a deal. After checking pricing for months, I haven’t found a price on Celebrity to even try it. I can’t imagine anything they have to offer worth $100 p.p. per day.

8 hours ago, grandgeezer said:

..........We have moved up to suites to get the cruising satisfaction we used to get from balcony’s. RCL and MSC have fit the bill, as long as we can find a deal. After checking pricing for months, I haven’t found a price on Celebrity to even try it. I can’t imagine anything they have to offer worth $100 p.p. per day.

You are finding Suites on RCL at $100pp per day? $700pp suite on a 7N cruise?.

I’m missing something here. A stepthrough of RCL Caribbean 7N cruises in a few months that are the cheapest itineraries shows one at $1000pp and most others at $1200pp.  

Den

• Like 2

9 hours ago, grandgeezer said:

When I started cruising in 2003 I went in with no real expectations. After trying Holland America, Princess, and Norwegian, we figured cruising wasn’t for us and we were ready to walk away, then we tried Celebrity. We found that we loved everything about it. We were up to 40-60 days a year and then the cutbacks and price increases came. We refuse to lower our expectations, that were set by Celebrity, so we walked away. It will be three years in December.

We have moved up to suites to get the cruising satisfaction we used to get from balcony’s. RCL and MSC have fit the bill, as long as we can find a deal. After checking pricing for months, I haven’t found a price on Celebrity to even try it. I can’t imagine anything they have to offer worth $100 p.p. per day.

While Celebrity is not perfect, I don't think RCL is in the same league. The new ships are just too big and too crowded. Allure was out first cruise that felt claustrophobic (and we have no issues with inside cabin). I realize that suite experience is different, but you are still on a 6,000+ ship. Not for us.

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, Denny01 said:

You are finding Suites on RCL at $100pp per day? $700pp suite on a 7N cruise?.

I’m missing something here. A stepthrough of RCL Caribbean 7N cruises in a few months that are the cheapest itineraries shows one at $1000pp and most others at $1200pp.  

Den

Suspect those prices will be for an RCL junior suite which doesn't give a 'suite experience' like the entry level suites on X. Bigger room and extra C&A points and that's about it I think. 

10 hours ago, hvsteve1 said:

On Regent an 11-night Med cruise on Explorer (their newest ship) is $60,499 for a Regent Suite, the top category.  However, Regent's suite is 3,026 sf with 2 balconies totaling 1,417 sf.  Celebrity's Iconic Suite is 1,892 sf with a 689 sf balcony.  While both suites get a lot of perks and super service, Regent has some really special benefits.  Business class air. Hotel stay before cruise. Free spa treatments in the suite.  Free private port tours with car, driver and guide. The Regent Master Suite is approximately the same size as the Iconic Suite and goes for $24,099 with free air and hotel.

I've sailed multiple times on Celebrity, Cunard and Regent. Having a suite on the first two is a little different experience as you have special restaurants, lounges and decks, making you feel (and this is always controversial on these boards) somewhat "special".  On Regent everyone is treated the same in common areas and it's hard to tell who's in the least expensive cabin or the top suite.  Regent does give the luxury of not having to be concerned about the cost of drinks (except super-expensive liquor), gratuities (nobody will accept one), the cost of specialty restaurants (you need a reservation, internet or paying for basic shore excursions.  Celebrity is more fun, Cunard is more elegant but Regent is a better deal.

Regent probably offers the best value in the luxury segment - assuming you are really using all they offer. If you fly business class, utilize the drink and take the ship excursions, adding all those costs on other lines might bring the total cost over what Regent charge. 

It appears we’ve ‘drifted’ a goodly distance from what the OP brought up. And it seems the definition of suites is being stretched as much as the Lines and various hotels have misused the terms. 

The Celebrity Sky Suite isn’t what most would refer to as a real suite. It is a larger single-space SR. Just as the Princess Mini-Suite isn’t. It’s not a small suite, but a larger standard balcony SR. 

So when we start comparing cruise line amenities, plus and minus and so on, it helps if it’s apples to apples and not larger balcony SRs to real suite prices. 

And personally, when you start comparing $50k-$80k suites to similar priced SRs on other Lines, I kind of think those that have 1st hand knowledge and can actually give legit opinions is a bit minute in numbers......and I’d say of not direct interest to most of us except as gaukers. 

Id love to try on of those fantastic shower/penthouse/ionic suites and if anyone is looking for the company of a nice, interesting couple to join you (free), just let me know. 

Den

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

11 hours ago, ak1004 said:

While Celebrity is not perfect, I don't think RCL is in the same league. The new ships are just too big and too crowded. Allure was out first cruise that felt claustrophobic (and we have no issues with inside cabin). I realize that suite experience is different, but you are still on a 6,000+ ship. Not for us.

Everybody has a right to their own opinion, I was just stating mine. We’ve done 20+ cruises on Celebrity and feel we know the product well. Celebrity is boring, there is nothing to do but drink. We wouldn’t do an inside cabin on Celebrity, even for free. When we get ready for  “the home”, we’ll go back to Celebrity, the perfect transition.

4 minutes ago, grandgeezer said:

Everybody has a right to their own opinion, I was just stating mine. We’ve done 20+ cruises on Celebrity and feel we know the product well. Celebrity is boring, there is nothing to do but drink. We wouldn’t do an inside cabin on Celebrity, even for free. When we get ready for  “the home”, we’ll go back to Celebrity, the perfect transition.

Of course. Some people enjoy Carnival, Costa etc. We wouldn't touch it for free. Some people are very happy with Honda, others prefer Mercedes. This is why different lines exist.

We don't come to a cruise to party, can do it at home. We also don't come to a cruise to spend time on a veranda, have a very nice backyard at home. We come for destinations, good food, good service etc. Other people might have different goals.

Also matter of demographics, age etc. If I sailed with children, I would definitely go on Royal, not Celebrity or Princess.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Denny01 said:

It appears we’ve ‘drifted’ a goodly distance from what the OP brought up. And it seems the definition of suites is being stretched as much as the Lines and various hotels have misused the terms. 

The Celebrity Sky Suite isn’t what most would refer to as a real suite. It is a larger single-space SR. Just as the Princess Mini-Suite isn’t. It’s not a small suite, but a larger standard balcony SR. 

So when we start comparing cruise line amenities, plus and minus and so on, it helps if it’s apples to apples and not larger balcony SRs to real suite prices. 

And personally, when you start comparing $50k-$80k suites to similar priced SRs on other Lines, I kind of think those that have 1st hand knowledge and can actually give legit opinions is a bit minute in numbers......and I’d say of not direct interest to most of us except as gaukers. 

Id love to try on of those fantastic shower/penthouse/ionic suites and if anyone is looking for the company of a nice, interesting couple to join you (free), just let me know. 

Den

100% agree.

I'm not sure how they can call Sky Suite a suite. Just to charge double from veranda? On Princess at least they call it a mini suite, not a suite, and there is a curtain between the bed and the sitting area. Sky suite on Celebrity is just slightly bigger than balcony on Oceania, so this is probably a more proper comparison.

When I book one of those big suites, I will keep you in mind. (doubt it will be anytime soon)

14 minutes ago, ak1004 said:

100% agree.

I'm not sure how they can call Sky Suite a suite. Just to charge double from veranda? On Princess at least they call it a mini suite, not a suite, and there is a curtain between the bed and the sitting area. Sky suite on Celebrity is just slightly bigger than balcony on Oceania, so this is probably a more proper comparison.

When I book one of those big suites, I will keep you in mind. (doubt it will be anytime soon)

As Celebrity has now gone to classes, the Sky Suite is a Suite because it falls into that class, giving you the suite perks and access to "suite only" areas of the ship, not because it is so much larger than other cabins. 

• Like 2

11 hours ago, ak1004 said:

100% agree.

First, a sky suite is about 1 1/2 the size of a regular balcony cabin.  It has a larger bathroom and it has many amenities including Suite lounge, priority boarding and disembarkation,  butler service, suite deck (on renovated ships)  and private restaurant which is lightyears better thenn AQ blu which people pay extra for.  It is truly a suite- entry level.  You also get more celebrity points with this level.  IMO worth extra.

Edited by Cruise a holic

12 hours ago, ak1004 said:

100% agree.

Hi. Just curious. What Celebrity suites have you tried already? 

We saved up a lot so we could do a Sky Suite to Alaska, and then a Mini Suite on Princess, and next we are doing a sky suite for our cruise next year. I couldn't imagine doing one of those super expensive suites that cost more than I make in a year, but I would go for it if I could afford it. Different people have different likes and dislikes and I'm glad the cruise lines offer lots of options.

For us, we wanted the priority embarking because jumping to the front of the line is fun 🙂 We liked having all 4 perks included and even though it was slower than dialup while at sea the free internet was nice for checking email and staying in touch with the family. We aren't heavy drinkers, but it's nice to know we can have a drink and not pay a ton. Having tips included is nice because there's always someone we forget about, and if someone gives us great service we still tip them even more. Also, maybe not an issue for most, but I have multiple spare tires and I just won't fit in those teeny stall showers in a standard room, so the bigger bathroom with a standard tub is something I really would prefer to have. We also like to hang out in our room and relax, rather than going to public areas a lot. And being bigtime foodies the best part of all for us is access to the Luminae, and even club class was nice on Princess too (but not as nice as Luminae was).

Also, we like having a balcony so an inside room or oceanview wouldn't work for us. A standard balcony room might be ok, but again there's the tub/shower issue for me. Though I can certainly see the appeal of having a less expensive inside room that you basically just sleep in and spend more time out and about. If we start doing more than 1 cruise a year, we may have to start to consider less expensive rooms, too much of the world to see and too little time!

13 hours ago, grandgeezer said:

13 hours ago, grandgeezer said:

Well... that's definitely your opinion.  🙂

We have done 14 with RCI and 5 with X. So we definitely like or even love RCI, but these two lines are different in class.

Premium massmarket and massmarket and it shows.

SilverSeas, RSSC, Seabourn offer  even less "to do", but people choose them for different reasons.  They look for less people , more sophisticated atmosphere, better itineraries, better food, personal service...

Same with Celebrity and RCI. Celebrity is not a luxury line, but is a step up in mentioned departments.

We cruise a lot (5 times a year), so we need to pick what is available and preferably sailing from the nearby ports. We would sail with X much more often (even in insides!!! 🙂 which we do more often than not) if we could have their ships sailing closer. (No disrespect to RCI, which is also wonderful).

By the way.. why would anybody sail 20+ with boring company?

Isn't it enough to try well 2-3 times (that's what we did with Carnival before dropping them completely as we did not get this "Fun Ship" style and other things)?

Edited by Tatka

2 hours ago, Cruise a holic said:

First, a sky suite is about 1 1/2 the size of a regular balcony cabin.  It has a larger bathroom and it has many amenities including Suite lounge, priority boarding and disembarkation,  butler service, suite deck (on renovated ships)  and private restaurant which is lightyears better thenn AQ blu which people pay extra for.  It is truly a suite- entry level.  You also get more celebrity points with this level.  IMO worth extra.

I'm aware of all the perks and benefits that come with sky suite. However, suite definition is: "a set of rooms designated for one person's or family's use or for a particular purpose." By that definition, sky suite is NOT a suite, no matter how you big you make it and how many benefits you attach to it. Suite assumes more than one room.

This might sounds semantic, but the point is that Sky suite cannot really be compared to "real suites" on some other lines. They are just bigger rooms that come with some suite benefits.

2 hours ago, Mynki said:

Hi. Just curious. What Celebrity suites have you tried already? 

None. The room is the least important part for us, and we just cannot justify the extra cost. We prefer to take more cruises in the least expensive cabins. This year we are planning 4 cruises (2 on Celebrity, 1 on Azamara and Crystal each). We use the cabin for sleep and shower only, we don't need the balcony, don't need the tub etc. I'm aware that some people would prefer to stay home and not take an inside cabin. For us, it really doesn't matter. 

I perfectly understand the reasons why people book suites - those reasons just don't apply to us. The only reason we might ever consider trying the suite on Celebrity is for the "suite experience" - better food, less crowded dedicated areas etc. But if we can get all those benefits on regular cabin on Oceania for less money, it really doesn't make sense for us.

2 hours ago, Tatka said:

Well... that's definitely your opinion.  🙂

We have done 14 with RCI and 5 with X. So we definitely like or even love RCI, but these two lines are different in class.

Premium massmarket and massmarket and it shows.

SilverSeas, RSSC, Seabourn offer  even less "to do", but people choose them for different reasons.  They look for less people , more sophisticated atmosphere, better itineraries, better food, personal service...

Same with Celebrity and RCI. Celebrity is not a luxury line, but is a step up in mentioned departments.

We cruise a lot (5 times a year), so we need to pick what is available and preferably sailing from the nearby ports. We would sail with X much more often (even in insides!!! 🙂 which we do more often than not) if we could have their ships sailing closer. (No disrespect to RCI, which is also wonderful).

By the way.. why would anybody sail 20+ with boring company?

Isn't it enough to try well 2-3 times (that's what we did with Carnival before dropping them completely as we did not get this "Fun Ship" style and other things)?

I guess it's all relative.. Oceania is boring relative to Celebrity, Celebrity is boring relative to Royal, and Royal might be boring relative to Carnival..

There is obviously a lot of action on the Royal. We liked the ice skating shows, and the evening shows were excellent. But the new ships are just too big for us. 

Which Royal ships do you usually sail? How do you find the food, service and all the crowds, after trying Celebrity?

11 minutes ago, ak1004 said:

I guess it's all relative.. Oceania is boring relative to Celebrity, Celebrity is boring relative to Royal, and Royal might be boring relative to Carnival..

There is obviously a lot of action on the Royal. We liked the ice skating shows, and the evening shows were excellent. But the new ships are just too big for us. 

Which Royal ships do you usually sail? How do you find the food, service and all the crowds, after trying Celebrity?

I did not find Royal boring at all, and certainly not compared to Carnival. We had more fun on our Oasis of the Seas cruise than any other cruise we have been on. I loved all the live entertainment options!  

7 minutes ago, ak1004 said:

They weren't all boring, just the last three B2Bs spread over 1 1/2 years. The first one the service was just o.k. as well as the food and entertainment. We tried it again about six month later and nothing had changed. That would have been it but about six months later we came a great deal in Aqua class. That meant the meals would be in Blu so hopefully that would address the food and some of the service issues. The food was better and the service was improved but the entertainment (meaning the production shows) was not good.

We have only sailed on the Allure lately. It was in a Grand Suite and all aspects were wonderful. The food in the Coastal Kitchen was top notch as was the service. The entertainment is world class, we've seen several of the shows many times and still enjoy them. It is a lot more money but we thought is was well worth it. It helped that we got it for less than $200 p.p. per day. We've also done MSC, in a YC suite and felt the same way. In fact we are doing the MSC trip again in October.

With the suite perks, the only time crowds were ever an issue was after the muster drill and parades. 

1 hour ago, ak1004 said:

None.

Interesting. You claimed earlier that Ocenaia was "better than Luminae" though you've not experienced breakfast, lunch or dinner there. Nor have you experienced the service or ambiance etc. 

Your posts are written as fact, but the reality is you're basing your opinions on no real world, hands on experience. 

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, ak1004 said:

Honestly, I did not find anything FUN on Carnival. Royal and NCL (same category as Carnival) had much more fun and interesting things than Carnival.

This is my history with RCI and Celebrity by Ships and Year(s) we sailed. Red are future cruises.

CELEBRITY: Century 03,07~Mercury 05~Summit 15,September 19~Silhouette 16

RCI: Splendor 04~Explorer 07,09,10~Brilliance 13~Allure 16 Anthem 16,17,18,November 19~ Grandeur 17,18,April 20~ Freedom 18~Adventure 18,19

So we pretty much sailed on all RCI ships. Obviously we like RCI overall and continue sailing with them. We lately sail more on Anthem, Adventure out of NJ and Grandeur out of Baltimore due to convenience of ports (we do not fly much over US anymore) .  Both ships have cons and pros.  It can be crowded, but we know how to "cook it", how to avoid crowds. Each ship has nice adult only solarium. Anthem and Grandeur have indoor solariums. We do not spend much time near outside pool when it is crowded, but actually on Celebrity we do the same. We do "anytime" dining on both and make reservations. On RCI we did have some crowding during earlier Anthem cruises, but not anymore. I have not sailed with X since 2016 (Christmas cruise), so cannot say how it is now, but we were always impressed more with food on X, than on Royal. X service was always the best out of 8 lines except for our last cruise on Silhouette. Overall Celebrity has more refined, sophisticated feel.  We find smaller ships like Grandeur to be closer in style to Celebrity. Allure (Oasis class) of course is amazing, but unless it sails from our region we probably won't do it again.

Royal does have amazing entertainment..and innovations, but innovations we don't really use (or tried them all already). We are mid-late 40-ies with no minor kids. Actually we enjoyed entertainment on all Celebrity cruises too, so there is no huge downgrade in this department with X for us.  

We are not late nighters as I go to gym at 6 am.

So all in all we see pros and cons of both RCI and Celebrity, know demographics of both.. and ok with both.

We used to have Celebrity (for food and service) and Princess (overall) as favorites.

Now it is more complicated. 🙂

11 minutes ago, Mynki said:

Interesting. You claimed earlier that Ocenaia was "better than Luminae" though you've not experienced breakfast, lunch or dinner there. Nor have you experienced the service or ambiance etc. 

Your posts are written as fact, but the reality is you're basing your opinions on no real world, hands on experience. 

My posts are written as my opinions, based on my experience AND feedback from other cruisers, reviews etc. The simple fact is that objective and well respected reviewers like Berlitz rate Oceania much higher than Celebrity. Some people might even claim that food in Celebrity MDR is better than Oceania - but that's their subjective opinion.

I cannot try all lines in all classes, so I base my selection on my previous experience and feedback from other people. In my opinion, Celebrity suite is not worth the money - unless I can get it for less money than Oceania cheapest cabin (which is probably not going to happen). But this is MY opinion. At the end of the day, the only opinion that matters is yours. YOU are the one who decides what is important for YOU. YOU are the only who decides how to spend YOUR money. 

5 minutes ago, ak1004 said:

My posts are written as my opinions, based on my experience AND feedback from other cruisers, reviews etc. The simple fact is that objective and well respected reviewers like Berlitz rate Oceania much higher than Celebrity. Some people might even claim that food in Celebrity MDR is better than Oceania - but that's their subjective opinion.

I cannot try all lines in all classes, so I base my selection on my previous experience and feedback from other people. In my opinion, Celebrity suite is not worth the money - unless I can get it for less money than Oceania cheapest cabin (which is probably not going to happen). But this is MY opinion. At the end of the day, the only opinion that matters is yours. YOU are the one who decides what is important for YOU. YOU are the only who decides how to spend YOUR money. 

Well, we're certainly all entitled to an opinion. The good thing about forums is that they allow us to explore the validity of them. But if someone is basing an opinion on zero experience it's very hard to take them seriously. Dining for many is about so much more than just the food. 

Personally I'd never make a statement comparing an entire cruise line to a particular restaurant on another line as the line has various options so I find that a little naive too. 

The guides give an idea but are out of date quickly. The Berlitz guides are not updated for years and a very common theme across multiple internet platforms discussing Oceania is that their food quality is dipping. 

Your posts suggest you want a suite but at a much cheaper price than you want to pay (That will apply to tens of thousands of other people too - lol). Sadly with the current market we're unlikely to see any significant price drops so until then you'll just have to wait before you can post a more informative opinion and let us know what you think of Luminae. 

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Mynki said:

Well, we're certainly all entitled to an opinion. The good thing about forums is that they allow us to explore the validity of them. But if someone is basing an opinion on zero experience it's very hard to take them seriously. Dining for many is about so much more than just the food. 

Personally I'd never make a statement comparing an entire cruise line to a particular restaurant on another line as the line has various options so I find that a little naive too. 

The guides give an idea but are out of date quickly. The Berlitz guides are not updated for years and a very common theme across multiple internet platforms discussing Oceania is that their food quality is dipping. 

Your posts suggest you want a suite but at a much cheaper price than you want to pay (That will apply to tens of thousands of other people too - lol). Sadly with the current market we're unlikely to see any significant price drops so until then you'll just have to wait before you can post a more informative opinion and let us know what you think of Luminae. 

Agree. 

However, if I was very happy with food and service on Oceania, there is really no reason for me to try the Celebrity suite at higher price. You don't fix what's not broken. We still enjoy Celebrity and will not hesitate booking their cruises - given the right itinerary and price. But it just doesn't make sense for me to pay the current prices for Celebrity suite - unless I can get a relatively cheap upgrade.

As for "Oceania food quality is dipping" - again, you can see similar opinions on many boards, including Celebrity, on many aspects of cruising. We sailed Oceania last September and found the food outstanding.