Does this bother anyone else?

UrbanGirlie

40 minutes ago, UrbanGirlie said:

Ok - I did see another cabin with no names/status on my deck this morning, meaning it can be removed if requested, which is great.

Like I said, as an adult I don’t really have a problem with it but for children it’s a different situation IMHO.

UG

Will you let us know what you find out if you inquire of Guest Services or your steward?  

I don’t have a problem with it but can see how some might.  

• Like 1

So kid's names show up too?  Is it obvious that it's a kid?  My gut reaction is it makes me nervous.  Lots of people know my kid's name on cruises, but it's from the meet and greet or the people who work on the ship (we've taken cruises with not many kids onboard).  I think if a random person called him by name he would think that person knew us and it would be ok to talk to them.  We've only been on Princess once and I don't remember names outside our door.  We're set to sail Regal next summer, so it seems we'll have Medallion.  It's not a deal breaker.  We'll just tell him not to talk to people when we're not with him.  But he'll be 13 next year,  so that's kinda rude if it is someone we met at the Meet and Greet.  OP, let us know what Guest Services says.

1 hour ago, mthomp5 said:

Will you let us know what you find out if you inquire of Guest Services or your steward?  

I don’t have a problem with it but can see how some might.  

Yes, i plan on asking and will post...

• Like 1

57 minutes ago, jenf22 said:

So kid's names show up too?  Is it obvious that it's a kid?  My gut reaction is it makes me nervous.  Lots of people know my kid's name on cruises, but it's from the meet and greet or the people who work on the ship (we've taken cruises with not many kids onboard).  I think if a random person called him by name he would think that person knew us and it would be ok to talk to them.  We've only been on Princess once and I don't remember names outside our door.  We're set to sail Regal next summer, so it seems we'll have Medallion.  It's not a deal breaker.  We'll just tell him not to talk to people when we're not with him.  But he'll be 13 next year,  so that's kinda rude if it is someone we met at the Meet and Greet.  OP, let us know what Guest Services says.

Yes kids names too. In our case parents are first and then our kid, which would seem an obvious assumption to anyone.

i am going to ask guest services about it and report back.  The cabin I saw with no names seems to now have a name, I wish I took a pic of it before.

Funny, we are also sailing Regal next Summer, British Isles Cruise!

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, Colo Cruiser said:

Why?

I assume the poster is questioning the sensibility of posting names on doors of single women (for example) traveling alone as it could increase their vulnerability as it relates to assault or other violent crime.

Although rare, that stuff does happen.

• Like 4

4 minutes ago, Outerdog said:

I assume the poster is questioning the sensibility of posting names on doors of single women (for example) traveling alone as it could increase their vulnerability as it relates to assault or other violent crime.

Yeah but Princess has been doing that for 20 plus years.

• Like 1

Just now, Colo Cruiser said:

Yeah but Princess has been doing that for 20 plus years.

Understood. But the little card can be easily removed and remain removed. It doesn't seem there is currently a method for a pax to remove the names from the screen.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, paul929207 said:

Princess has had placards with names and Captain's Circle status for years.

Yes, at least as far back as I first cruised on Princess which was 20 years ago. 

Edited by Charles4515
  • Like 2

Even if the "kid's" name is posted along with the parents there is no way of knowing if the "kid" is a minor or an adult traveling with their parents.  Further there is no way of knowing the "kid" is not actually a kid but a brother/sister or close relative.  I fail to see the problem and think it is a solution looking for a "problem".  Princess and other cruise lines put the names of the occupants on the door on all of our cruises. 

We did have a lady come to our door and knock loudly on our last cruise.  She had the wrong room so even with our names on the mailbox that did not stop her.  She did apologize when I opened the door. :classic_biggrin:

• Like 1

3 hours ago, UrbanGirlie said:

It does show exactly where they are on the ship, so nothing has changed I guess...

Just as I thought. 

Be extremely careful about losing your medallion as anyone that finds it can get into your cabin without your knowledge.

Report it immediately so they can reissue it. 

Just now, MissP22 said:

Just as I thought. 

Be extremely careful about losing your medallion as anyone that finds it can get into your cabin without your knowledge.

Report it immediately so they can reissue it. 

This is a huge problem and I don't understand why people aren't more concerned about it, instead of worrying that their name is posted outside of their cabin.   I fully intend to demand a cruise card and opt out of the medallion; I don't like carrying around something that should I lose it, has such dangerous implications.  If I lost/dropped a cruise card, the worst that could happen was someone buying a bottle of Dom on me. 

22 minutes ago, rdsqrl said:

This is a huge problem and I don't understand why people aren't more concerned about it, instead of worrying that their name is posted outside of their cabin.   I fully intend to demand a cruise card and opt out of the medallion; I don't like carrying around something that should I lose it, has such dangerous implications.  If I lost/dropped a cruise card, the worst that could happen was someone buying a bottle of Dom on me. 

I've reported it numerous times since the medallion program has begun but on the ship they just don't think it's a problem at all.

I then asked them when they intend to print the cabin number on the cruise cards. 

Possibly they haven't relayed the security breach to the proper people?

I like the medallions & some of it's features but have begun to not leave anything of value out in our cabins while gone just in case of possibly of losing it. 

9 hours ago, UrbanGirlie said:

Hi all-

On Royal Princess now (1st Princess Cruise  after cruising most other major lines!)

Love the Medallion features, using the app and keyless door entry. 

BUT:

Does anyone have privacy concerns with your names (including minor children’s names) being displayed on your stateroom placards?  I thought that once everyone was settled in after the 1st day that the names would disappear, but it looks like no.  

I’m not a hyper vigilant person to begin with but I was just wondering if other had concerns?

UG

Its not an issue at all. It helps staff find you if they need to deliver something to your room and need to confirm the right cabin number. It also helps friends and family members confirm the correct cabin before waking up the wrong cabin. It is a good idea and makes you feel welcome that they care to do it.

I am not worried about privacy. Only a pervert would go around reading the names of other passengers on the cabin doors. The crew can look up passenger names anyway on the manifest or in the system if they have a right to do so like charging your account for something.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, UrbanGirlie said:

Yes kids names too. In our case parents are first and then our kid, which would seem an obvious assumption to anyone.

i am going to ask guest services about it and report back.  The cabin I saw with no names seems to now have a name, I wish I took a pic of it before.

Funny, we are also sailing Regal next Summer, British Isles Cruise!

We're booked on the June 9th and I'm so excited!  Is that the one you're on?

We've been on 10 cruises and only one has been Princess.  We've never had our names outside our room before (except maybe the Princess one?).  Our last cruise was NCL and the steward addressed us by name every time we saw him.  I guess I wonder what "problem" Princess needs to solve by having the names outside the door.  It is what it is.  So if that's what Princess does, we'll be fine with it. 

1 hour ago, rdsqrl said:

To use the OM to open your cabin door all they have to do is wander up and down all the hallways that have staterooms slowly until one room responds.  Simple.  However after they find your cruise card all they have to do is walk up and down all the hallways with staterooms trying the card on every door.  Most of the time when I leave my stateroom there is no one in the hallway so they will be unimpeded.

I assume you also do not carry a cell phone turned on since the cell provider is tracking your every move.  

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Outerdog said:

I don't understand how posting a single woman's name makes her more vulnerable than posting the names of two women traveling together,  or a married woman.  I'm having a hard time conjuring up a scenario where one would look back and say: "This never would have happened if Mary's name had not been shown on her cabin door."

• Like 4

1 minute ago, JimmyVWine said:

I don't understand how posting a single woman's name makes her more vulnerable than posting the names of two women traveling together,  or a married woman.  I'm having a hard time conjuring up a scenario where one would look back and say: "This never would have happened if Mary's name had not been shown on her cabin door."

I worked with a woman who swore she would never cruise because "women are raped all the time on cruise ships". I told her she was crazy.

• Like 3

7 minutes ago, JimmyVWine said:

I travel solo a majority of times on ships. Being a young woman, I have NEVER felt unsafe. Cruising is probably the safest form of travel, especially for a solo traveler. This really should not be one persons worry for an entire cruise, they should be out enjoying themselves and relaxing, that's what they paid for.

Edited by Jeter02
  • Like 3

2 hours ago, Brisbane41 said:

Its not an issue at all. It helps staff find you if they need to deliver something to your room and need to confirm the right cabin number. It also helps friends and family members confirm the correct cabin before waking up the wrong cabin.

Do you also have the names of all residence of your home posted on the front door?