Does this bother anyone else?

UrbanGirlie

I haven’t cruised with the medallion yet and so may not get the concern here.. but I do find it unlikely that someone would be spend their time and risk the consequences on a cruise by wandering halls trying to access a stateroom with a lost card... they wouldn’t know if so someone is in the room they’re trying to access, there are cameras throughout the ship that can be used to identify someone going from cabin to cabin, and people can pop into the hallways any time.  After 30+ years living in Denver’s Capital Hill I have a healthy sense of paranoia, but never once had a feeling of disquiet or jeopardy on a ship.  Probably why we love cruising.

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, broberts said:

Do you also have the names of all residence of your home posted on the front door?

Its in a book or online that is available to the public in the general area.

However a cruise ship is entirely different. You are in a temporary cabin for the duration of the cruise. Besides most people give away far too much information about themselves online these days using social media and simple usernames that can lead to all sorts of privacy issues.

1 hour ago, Brisbane41 said:

However a cruise ship is entirely different.

True, it's more like a hotel where all your neighbors are complete strangers. Wonder why hotels don't follow the same practice?

4 hours ago, jenf22 said:

We're booked on the June 9th and I'm so excited!  Is that the one you're on?

We've been on 10 cruises and only one has been Princess.  We've never had our names outside our room before (except maybe the Princess one?).  Our last cruise was NCL and the steward addressed us by name every time we saw him.  I guess I wonder what "problem" Princess needs to solve by having the names outside the door.  It is what it is.  So if that's what Princess does, we'll be fine with it. 

I agree completely. We are in July 27th Cruise!

• Like 2

3 hours ago, LoriPhil said:

I haven’t cruised with the medallion yet and so may not get the concern here.. but I do find it unlikely that someone would be spend their time and risk the consequences on a cruise by wandering halls trying to access a stateroom with a lost card... they wouldn’t know if so someone is in the room they’re trying to access, there are cameras throughout the ship that can be used to identify someone going from cabin to cabin, and people can pop into the hallways any time.  After 30+ years living in Denver’s Capital Hill I have a healthy sense of paranoia, but never once had a feeling of disquiet or jeopardy on a ship.  Probably why we love cruising.

There there are no cctv cameras in passenger corridors

Personally, I never minded the names posted with or without kids.  I, like some, enjoy reading the CC status, only for an idea of what type of cruise it is (many Elite vs many first or second timers).  To me, it’s actually harder to see with the digital screens vs the color of the Seawitch on the paper card.

However, I don’t begrudge those who prefer to remove.

Regarding the Medallion and the threat of folks finding them and accessing cabins, I’d like to report that I saw no gangs (on scooters or otherwise) roving the halls waiting to hear the correct door to unlock.  We immensely enjoyed the unlocking aspect of the Medallions.

Safe Journeys, Paul

• Like 2

Just recently finished a Diamond Princess (not Medallion ship) cruise around Japan - their cards include first and last name of all passengers in the cabin and their CC Status. Same as is displayed on the Medallion screen.

Don’t see how it effects our privacy but I did notice that all the staff near our room all knew our names, then it dawned on us why. 🤔 

Thought the names were more for the use of the room stewards than for any nefarious reasons 😆

Edited by Porky55
  • Like 1

14 hours ago, Outerdog said:

It would be trivial for the system to be configured to display guest information only when a proper Medallion is present; passenger or crew member with a legitimate purpose for seeing them.

That said, I don't really have a problem with it personally. But I get it. People post their entire lives on Facebook, but God forbid their names are displayed on a cabin door...

Love it 👍

8 hours ago, satxdiver said:

To use the OM to open your cabin door all they have to do is wander up and down all the hallways that have staterooms slowly until one room responds.  Simple.  However after they find your cruise card all they have to do is walk up and down all the hallways with staterooms trying the card on every door.  Most of the time when I leave my stateroom there is no one in the hallway so they will be unimpeded.

I assume you also do not carry a cell phone turned on since the cell provider is tracking your every move.  

They don't have to wander around looking for the cabin at all. The display boards near the elevators pinpoint the exact location along with a path of how to get to that cabin.

6 hours ago, LoriPhil said:

Well for one thing they're sure it isn't the person's medallion that was found.

They also know it doesn't belong to the other person in the cabin since the display board provides their exact location.

It couldn't be the steward medallion since they always prop the door open.

There are no cameras in the hallways and what difference would it make anyway? People are always walking around going somewheres. 

Wait until you sail with the medallion system & if this security flaw still exists then let us know how you feel about it.

Still don’t see it as a troubling flaw that would give me the vapors.  Though now that I know there are no CCTVs in the halls I’ll plan on packing my cat burglar outfit along with my fleece layers for Alaska! 🙀😉

Edited by LoriPhil

9 minutes ago, LoriPhil said:

Still don’t see it as a troubling flaw that would give me the vapors.  Though now that I know there are no CCTVs in the halls I’ll plan on packing my cat burglar outfit along with my fleece layers for Alaska! 😱😉

Do you use a sharpie pen to write your cabin number on the cruise card? 

That's just in case you lose it so people can return it directly to your cabin.

Common 2019 scenario from a hypothetical poster with user name Montana_Bob....

Post on the Roll Call....."Hi!. We're Helen and Bob from Missoula and are thrilled to join this Roll Call.  We're willing to participate in the Cabin Crawl and folks can come to our cabin for cocktails.  We'll be in C324.  We have also joined a FB group related to this cruise and I will be live blogging once on board.  Look for my posts on Instagram." 

Post on threads like this...."They show my name outside my cabin door??!!  How dare they!"

• Like 4

I am not normally a "privacy freak", but for some reason this has always bothered me. I cruise with my mother sometimes and no one needs to know there are two women in the cabin. She couldn't care less. I often wonder why instead of Ms. Mary Smith and Ms. Susan Jones they can't put M. Smith and S. Jones. No one needs to know my first name of that I'm a woman, but yet with the last names on there employees can make sure they have the correct cabin for deliveries. Seems simple to me.....

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, Bollycats said:

I often wonder why instead of Ms. Mary Smith and Ms. Susan Jones they can't put M. Smith and S. Jones. No one needs to know my first name of that I'm a woman, but yet with the last names on there employees can make sure they have the correct cabin for deliveries. Seems simple to me.....

Pre-cruise, people using the Medallion system will have to go on line to fill out certain information.  Easy enough for PCL to include a question such as the following, and they probably should do it:

How would you like your name displayed on your cabin door video monitor:

• Mary Smith
  • M. Smith
  • Do not display
Edited by JimmyVWine
  • Like 5
  • Haha 1

I don't mind the names displayed.  Even if you're a single woman traveling alone, what is the risk with this?  I mean, it's not like someone can hide in the shadows outside your cabin door and not be noticed.  There is virtually no way for a person to sneak up on you and attack you in the corridor outside your cabin.  There are cameras everyone. You can see someone coming a mile away.  Everyone one of your neighbors would hear you yell and open their doors to see what's up.  Besides the fact that everyone on the ship is busy enjoying their costly vacation and isn't interested in stalking you.  Your name is not a top secret piece of info either. It's not like they have your DOB and SS# up there.

23 hours ago, cruzsnooze said:

I like walking down the corridor and looking at the tier levels, I really don't pay attention to the names. It doesn't bother me at all that our names are posted

and I've never paid attention to the tier levels, but I love reading the names. So many different names!!!! So much fun!

2 hours ago, LoriPhil said:

Nope.  But I’m one of those who wears it on a lanyard so I haven’t lost it yet. 

I found two medallions so far- on lanyards. I can only wonder how many are lost during any cruise. 

Edited by MissP22

I'm a fraud investigator and this troubled me also.  Since this was my first Princess cruise, I didn't realize they used to do it with hard copy signage.  It's really not a smart thing to do.  People can glean a lot of info from a name.  I can picture someone calling up and pretending to be from Guest Services and saying "Hello Mr or Mrs. Doe, your credit card info is not working.  Can you give me a new number?"  And yeah, the creepy possibilities for kids are just not good.   

• Like 4

5 minutes ago, LessWorkMoreTravel said:

I'm a fraud investigator and this troubled me also.  Since this was my first Princess cruise, I didn't realize they used to do it with hard copy signage.  It's really not a smart thing to do.  People can glean a lot of info from a name.  I can picture someone calling up and pretending to be from Guest Services and saying "Hello Mr or Mrs. Doe, your credit card info is not working.  Can you give me a new number?"  And yeah, the creepy possibilities for kids are just not good.   

There's caller ID on your stateroom cabin phone, so it would slightly difficult to pretend to be guest services. IMHO it sounds awfully silly for someone to spend their whole cruise to stalk, terrorize, steal personal info, and so on. Not saying bad things don't occur on a ship, as there's incidents that do occur. I'm just saying I think the envelope is being pushed a bit here. When it comes to kids, I am a firm believer in parental supervision. I see plenty of kids / teens wandering around by themselves.like another poster mentioned talk to your kids about not talking to random strangers when their alone.

• Like 3

1 minute ago, Jeter02 said:

There's caller ID on your stateroom cabin phone, so it would slightly difficult to pretend to be guest services.

How many people actually look at the caller id number when receiving a call?

• Like 2