Does this bother anyone else?

UrbanGirlie

6 minutes ago, jenf22 said:

Oh and sorry for 2 posts - I don't know how to multi-quote on this board. 

Hi, Jenf . . . you can go to the first post you want to quote and quote.  Then the cursor will move to below that.  You can respond there.  Then scroll to the next post you want to quote and hit the quote button again, and on as many quotes as you need in a single reply.

I think it should be an individual decision for each passenger what they wish to have displayed.  For me personally, we are fine with having our name shown on our door and we liked that our steward addressed us by name when he saw us.

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, jenf22 said:

Click on the button (plus sign) to the left of the word Quote.

image.png.6cabac8571dcc7a7d662c66c7c28d76f.png

When you do a counter panel will popup on the bottom right of the window.

image.png.8d70da193aed2b9891bfbb3565597266.png

The count increments/decrements as you click these buttons. To cancel all of the quotes, click on the x. To go to the reply edit and add the quotes click on the button containing the count.

Also of use is partial quoting as I did above. Just highlight the text you want to quote. A button will pop beside the cursor. Click the button.

image.png.0bf753f8a623f56f4aefb79495018ae2.png

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, jenf22 said:

Click on the + sign next to the quote button:  image.png.b11c843d2a6b725cd50791de4df591cd.png

Then do the same for the next post you want to quote.  You will get a button (mine floats in the lower right corner of the screen) that looks like this  image.png.1d52d889d9db870e71b5d38a9535805e.png

Click on that and both posts will show up as quotes in your new post.

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, JennyB1977 said:

I have been giving this a lot of thought. On the hotel issue, as on a ship, it doesn't/wouldn't bother me. I am again trying to figure out what "harm" could be done by knowing my name and room number. Let's say they sign for dinner on my room. I'd easily be able to fix that at check-out. If someone dials my room and says Ms.XXXX we have an issue with your CC please provide your number, my response would be "I'll be down to take care of it". Am I missing something obvious? 

I live in an apartment complex. The mailboxes for our building are on the first floor in a group. Mine only had my unit # on it. I kept getting the wrong mail. I changed it to a tag with my first initial and last name because it helps me get the correct mail. I have yet to have an issue with this either....

There you go, throwing common sense into the discussion. I'll bet you've been caught doing that before, haven't you?!?!  Just for that, my wife and I will buy you a drink as punishment if we ever meet you.  We'll show you!!!!! 😧

Tom

• Like 5

So, the question is: Are we able to request to have our names removed from the marquee at the door if we choose to? 

Does anyone know if that is possible?

BTW, your photo is on it as well along with your name. I wasn't too fond of my photo, hubby looked good. 😀

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, jenf22 said:

Again, whatever.  I guess people never stalk kids.  That never happens.  Kids are never harmed ever.  And no one is ever in the hall when you go in your room.  Ever.  And seriously, forget my kid.  I don't think it's necessary to have my name on my door.  Maybe we could just leave it that.  I'm not a paranoid person and I think it's creepy and actually lazy on Princess's part.  They can't have the steward look at a paper to verify the right door?  10 cruises - over 80 nights on a ship (with no name on the door) and I've never been delivered the wrong mail.

P

41 minutes ago, jenf22 said:

Why can't it just be enough that I don't want my name there.  It doesn't have to "harm" anyone.  Ever wonder why no other cruise lines do it?  Why hotels don't do it?  You mentioned PII earlier.  It only takes one additional piece of information to be PII.  (I take training on it too)  All you have to do is look at us and hear us speak to know what country we're from.  Why give anything out?  Why not let me decide what I display on my door just like I can decide what I display on the internet or this forum?

People do stalk kids and children are harmed.  I merely indicated that people 'lurking' in the halls would be unusual, since so many people, including guests and staff would notice.  But if it makes you feel safer to remove names from your cabin door, then please feel free to do so.  Absent lurkers, who you would surely notice, how would someone know that the name your door could be matched to a specific child?  Again assume no lurkers.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, jangor said:

P

People do stalk kids and children are harmed.  I merely indicated that people 'lurking' in the halls would be unusual, since so many people, including guests and staff would notice.  But if it makes you feel safer to remove names from your cabin door, then please feel free to do so.  Absent lurkers, who you would surely notice, how would someone know that the name your door could be matched to a specific child?  Again assume no lurkers.

Looking back on my 12 cruises, the only lurkers have been the staff who would know who was in your cabin without the names.

And I generally find that the staff is well aware of who is coming and going.

36 minutes ago, greenie082756 said:

BTW, your photo is on it as well along with your name. I wasn't too fond of my photo, hubby looked good. 😀

That picture doesn't have to be your photo. It can be anything. Some people use a picture of their dog. I might want to use Godzilla. 

• Like 1

As entertaining as this has been, I'm surprised that my 'issue' with the Medallion hasn't been brought up on this thread.  We were just on the Crown Princess which has the Medallion fully installed and were NOT thrilled with the 'locking' aspect of the Medallion.  When we'd leave the room it would take forever for the door to lock.  By 'forever' I mean probably 30 seconds.  

And yes, I know that often the hallways are deserted but sometimes they're not and it's very obvious when your door is locked and unlocked by the screen.  Has anyone else noticed how long it's taken for the Medallion to lock your door when you leave?  

So this is interesting.  Obtained from Princess website on FAQ's pertaining to the Medallion.

Will I be able to opt out of or turn off this new technology?
If you do not want to take advantage of the full Ocean Medallion experience, you can switch your privacy setting to "Safety Only" and enjoy the cruise the same great way you do today.

Could other people find it and use it to get into your room or charge purchases to you?
The Ocean Medallion contains no personal information. Your Ocean Medallion is associated with your profile that contains your onboard security picture. If that picture does not match a guest when a purchase is being made or when someone other than the original guest is nearby, access will not be granted to a stateroom and purchases cannot be made.

6 minutes ago, Triptkr said:

As entertaining as this has been, I'm surprised that my 'issue' with the Medallion hasn't been brought up on this thread.  We were just on the Crown Princess which has the Medallion fully installed and were NOT thrilled with the 'locking' aspect of the Medallion.  When we'd leave the room it would take forever for the door to lock.  By 'forever' I mean probably 30 seconds.  

And yes, I know that often the hallways are deserted but sometimes they're not and it's very obvious when your door is locked and unlocked by the screen.  Has anyone else noticed how long it's taken for the Medallion to lock your door when you leave?  

I haven’t been on a MES (Medallion Enabled Ship...C’mon people!  Everything has to have an acronym on this site, no?) so I don’t know how long it takes for the door to lock. But I know how long it takes me to lock my valuables in the safe. About 5 seconds. When crew members can open my door at will, a 30 second time delay for the door to lock is not going to raise my blood pressure. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, JimmyVWine said:

I haven’t been on a MES (Medallion Enabled Ship...C’mon people!  Everything has to have an acronym on this site, no?) so I don’t know how long it takes for the door to lock. But I know how long it takes me to lock my valuables in the safe. About 5 seconds. When crew members can open my door at will, a 30 second time delay for the door to lock is not going to raise my blood pressure. 

5 seconds is also about how long it takes to open that type of safe - without the combination. Check YouTube. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Thrak said:

5 seconds is also about how long it takes to open that type of safe - without the combination. Check YouTube. 

Hmmm. The maintenance guy in my hotel that one time should have watched YouTube. We had a room with a safe that was locked by the prior guest. The hotel staff couldn’t open it for all the tea in China. Took 30 minutes and heavy-duty power tools to remove the safe and install a new one. 

As as long as I don’t see the name “John Robie” on the display screen outside of a cabin door on a ship I sail on, I’m not going to worry too much about break ins. 

42 minutes ago, Triptkr said:

After your door shuts on a Medallion ship it locks immediately. ou hear it make a click sound after its shuts.

1 hour ago, Triptkr said:

An excellent point. With cabins, hotel rooms and even my own house I always "try" the door I've just locked to be sure it's really locked. Is it no longer to check that now we have those "proximity" medallions? I can see some nice features with the medallions, but this is big oh-oh in my opinion.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, JimmyVWine said:

Well no, a 30 second delay is no big deal.......as long as it actually locks. But how can one verify it's locked? Seems like there ought to be some way of verifying it's locked. What are we supposed to do (if you're paranoid <IOW careful!>) and want to verify the door actually locked? Do you wait outside the medallion's range for a loud "click" indicating it's <maybe> locked?

6 minutes ago, PaperSniper4 said:

Well no, a 30 second delay is no big deal.......as long as it actually locks. But how can one verify it's locked?

Do you really think that Carnival Corp. spent a billion dollars on a system that didn't lock the doors? I can be as cynical as the next guy. But even I can't imagine that they didn't figure this out. Remember folks that Carnival hired away a bunch of the Disney techies who designed, created and implemented the Magic Bands to design, create and implement the Medallion system and Disney World has over 30,000 hotel rooms with doors that function just fine. 

Edited by JimmyVWine
  • Like 1

9 minutes ago, JimmyVWine said:

Do you really think that Carnival Corp. spent a billion dollars on a system that didn't lock the doors? I can be as cynical as the next guy. But even I can't imagine that they didn't figure this out. Remember folks that Carnival hired away a bunch of the Disney techies who designed, created and implemented the Magic Bands to design, create and implement the Medallion system and Disney World has over 30,000 hotel rooms with doors that function just fine. 

so, Disney uses the Magic Bands on their cruise ships in the same fashion as their land based theme parks

Did not know that ... Thanks !!

3 hours ago, jangor said:

Really!  People are lurking outside your cabin door in the hope of being able to match a child's face to one of the names on the door?  I do suppose that pedophiles are resourceful, but someone lurking in the hallway in the hope of seeing your child seems a bit unlikely.  But hey, I am not a pedophile, so what do I know.

Well if you want to cancel your Princess cruise because your name is outside the door, you should feel to do that, but it seems like a silly reason to me.  Not one is "lurking' outside your door.   Cleaning staff is always in the hallway and after a day they know who belongs in each cabin.    They do not open cabin doors without calling supervisor and asking for iD.   For the rest of us, your name is irrelevant.

48 minutes ago, JimmyVWine said:

Do you really think that Carnival Corp. spent a billion dollars on a system that didn't lock the doors?.....

No, not intentionally. But then I never intentionally forget to lock my car door sometimes, which is why I always check. Remember what someone said: "To err is human. To really foul up takes a computer". 😉

• Like 1

2 hours ago, jangor said:

Oh, I know.  Totally unusual.  I'm honestly not worried about anything happening to my kid.  He's just at the age where if he asks to go somewhere on his own (on the ship), we would let him.  I know (hope!) he wouldn't go with anyone but it just creeps me out a bit to think someone could address him by name.  And having never seen this name thing before, I find it weird.  So now we can say "Oh, it was Dan and Jane who slammed their door at 1am" or "wow, there are 5 people in that room".  Seems like information we don't need.  Not harming anyone, but not needed.

Regarding the name on the mailbox @JennyB1977, you put your initial and last name on the box.  I'd be fine with that on the door.  For some reason, full names weird me out.  And you shouldn't have to do that if the mailman did his job correctly.  I believe our names are on the inside of our box (we have a central locked box).  Back in college my student ID was my Social Security number.  I put it on everything.  Now no one asks for it.  Times change.  I think they should give people the option to not display names.  If we were without kid, maybe I wouldn't have given this a second thought.  Ask your sister (brother?) about your nephews and what they think of names on doors.  I'm curious.  They'll probably hit an age where they want to go play basketball or to the arcade on their own and eventually you have to give them that freedom.  I've been thinking about this a lot and I've asked everyone I work with - every person said no to names on doors.  But maybe we're all just introverts 🙂

Oh and our Princess cruise isn't until June 2020.  They have a lot time to make changes to the Medallion system!

Edited by jenf22