Royal Caribbean Announces Year-Round Cruises From New Orleans

Saint Greg

Royal Caribbean International has announced year-round cruises from the Port of New Orleans (Port NOLA) set to begin when the Majesty of the Seas arrives to homeport in January 2020. Royal Caribbean, which previously offered seasonal cruises from New Orleans, is now offering weekly itineraries from January 2020 through April 2021.

Embarking on seven-night cruises from Saturday to Saturday, vacationers will visit beaches in The Bahamas as well as the Western Caribbean through Mexico and Belize. They also will experience the Perfect Day at CocoCay – Royal Caribbean’s newly reimagined private island

https://www.cruiseindustrynews.com/cruise-news/21264-royal-caribbean-announces-year-round-cruises-from-new-orleans.html

They were supposed to start booking the summer cruises today but they have not done so yet so only time will tell if this report is accurate.

I just wish they would bring in a newer ship instead of relegating all their old ships to New Orleans.

Edited by tallyho8

9 minutes ago, tallyho8 said:

I just wish they would bring in a newer ship instead of relegating all their old ships to New Orleans.

I’m guessing that if the new sailings sell well, you will eventually see newer and larger ships in New Orleans like other cruise lines have done. 

Well, this year Carnival replaced the newer and larger Dream with the older and smaller Glory because they felt that the competition for 7 day cruises would be tough this year with the newer Breakaway and Getaway ships coming plus a few trips from the Disney line and then the Royal ship coming back.

They brought in a larger ship for their short cruises as there is no competition for the short cruises.

18 minutes ago, tallyho8 said:

Well, this year Carnival replaced the newer and larger Dream with the older and smaller Glory because they felt that the competition for 7 day cruises would be tough this year with the newer Breakaway and Getaway ships coming plus a few trips from the Disney line and then the Royal ship coming back.

They brought in a larger ship for their short cruises as there is no competition for the short cruises.

More than competition in New Orleans, I believe that Dream went to Galveston because Carnival determined that they can make more money on this ship from there. Fares out of Galveston are consistently higher from Galveston than from New Orleans, which is why they also have the Vista and the Freedom sailing from there. Galveston has been a huge cash cow for Carnival for years. 

I get Carnival wanting to bring in a smaller ship when Breakaway/Getaway are there but that's only in the winter months. They left a lot of meat on the bone during prime cruising months. I think that's what Royal is trying to grab here. Hopefully one of them brings in a newer ship at some point. I'm going on Glory next month but that will likely be my last New Orleans cruise for awhile until a newer ship comes in...or new ports are added. I'm starting to branch out into Florida cruises.

As much as I like cruising out of New Orleans since it is so close to my home, I also have 2 of my next 3 cruises booked out of Florida and the other one out of Denmark. I have been to all of the ports from NOLA so many times it is not interesting anymore. My first cruise on the Carnival Celebration went to Cozumel, Grand Cayman and Tampa. Even Tampa would be a change from going to Grand Cayman 10 times or Cozumel 20 times,

At least Norwegian has been bringing in different ships lately each year, except they are going to bring the Breakaway back after the Getaway leaves. This is much better than when they had the Dawn here for 4 years. Royal has never had a ship here less than 10 years old and each time they come they bring older and older ships. The Majesty is their next to oldest ship with only a 3 1/2 star rating and at 27 years old it sounds less appealing than the 21 year old Carnival Elation that moved from here a few months ago.

On 7/23/2019 at 10:13 PM, tallyho8 said:

As much as I like cruising out of New Orleans since it is so close to my home, I also have 2 of my next 3 cruises booked out of Florida and the other one out of Denmark. I have been to all of the ports from NOLA so many times it is not interesting anymore. My first cruise on the Carnival Celebration went to Cozumel, Grand Cayman and Tampa. Even Tampa would be a change from going to Grand Cayman 10 times or Cozumel 20 times,

At least Norwegian has been bringing in different ships lately each year, except they are going to bring the Breakaway back after the Getaway leaves. This is much better than when they had the Dawn here for 4 years. Royal has never had a ship here less than 10 years old and each time they come they bring older and older ships. The Majesty is their next to oldest ship with only a 3 1/2 star rating and at 27 years old it sounds less appealing than the 21 year old Carnival Elation that moved from here a few months ago.

I’m definitely getting tired of the same ports. My three Florida crises are all new ports for me except one Nassau stop. The two that I would consider out of New Orleans or Galveston would be the 9-day partial Panama Canal or the 8-day Eastern that includes Half Moon Cay...since I haven’t been there yet.

• 2 weeks later...
On 7/23/2019 at 12:27 PM, Saint Greg said:

I get Carnival wanting to bring in a smaller ship when Breakaway/Getaway are there but that's only in the winter months. They left a lot of meat on the bone during prime cruising months. I think that's what Royal is trying to grab here. Hopefully one of them brings in a newer ship at some point. I'm going on Glory next month but that will likely be my last New Orleans cruise for awhile until a newer ship comes in...or new ports are added. I'm starting to branch out into Florida cruises.

Ditto. I primary do sail out of New Orleans because it's an easy drive and train ride.  But I would love to sail on a newer ship and love if they tweak the sailings to different ports from time to time.  Also looking at returning to sailing out of Florida again.

It's really irritating when they bring in these old ships that don't even have any balcony cabins. I like to book balconies but I don't like having to put out that much money for a suite on an old ship like that.

• 5 months later...

One caution for higher level Crown and Anchor members who are expecting a Diamond and above nightly Happy Hour event.  Starting January 18, 2020 these events are no longer available on the Majesty of the Seas.  There are three drinks a day at bars loaded on cards available during happy hour times.  This change has caused some disappointment because it occurred suddenly from one sailing to the next.  Many Crown and Anchor members in the area that welcomed the return of RCL to NOLA should be prepared for this change.