Jump to content
Cruise Critic Community
cruzemaven

Manhattan Cruise Terminal Car Service recommendation

Recommended Posts

We’ll be disembarking in New York City from The Insignia on a Sunday morning in a few weeks along with thousands of other passengers from The Escape. Decided it would be better to book a car service in advance instead of waiting on a long line for a taxi or trying to get an Uber..Can anyone recommend a reliable car service?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, cruzemaven said:

We’ll be disembarking in New York City from The Insignia on a Sunday morning in a few weeks along with thousands of other passengers from The Escape. Decided it would be better to book a car service in advance instead of waiting on a long line for a taxi or trying to get an Uber..Can anyone recommend a reliable car service?

We can book Uber in advance.  Maybe not in NYC?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Have had excellent experiences with Dial 7.  Carmel is the other big player in NYC car services.  Both have apps that you can put on your phone.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

we used Dial 7  but it was from LGA to the port

check on their website for  a discount coupon

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, cruzemaven said:

We’ll be disembarking in New York City from The Insignia on a Sunday morning in a few weeks along with thousands of other passengers from The Escape. Decided it would be better to book a car service in advance instead of waiting on a long line for a taxi or trying to get an Uber..Can anyone recommend a reliable car service?

 

I always use Dial 7 Car and Limo Service.   Reliable and reasonable rates.  Make a reservation for pick up.

Good luck.

Edited by Kingofcool1947

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Blacklane is excellent.  They are a company with a 5 star rating that services the global community. 

 

Just book online and you are all set.  Prices are extremely fair for the level of service you receive, especially in NYC.

Gratuity is included in the fare.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, Kingofcool1947 said:

 

I always use Dial 7 Car and Limo Service.   Reliable and reasonable rates.  Make a reservation for pick up.

Good luck.

 

Agree ... a reliable car service.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

We've used both Dial 7 & Carmel in NYC. Allstate is also often recommended. 

Haven't used Uber in NYC, but have in lots of other places. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Condocat said:

Blacklane is excellent.  They are a company with a 5 star rating that services the global community. 

 

Just book online and you are all set.  Prices are extremely fair for the level of service you receive, especially in NYC.

Gratuity is included in the fare.

I just checked and they're in Rio.  We usually take a cab.  Could you expand a bit about why you prefer them to a taxi please? TIA

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
5 hours ago, Condocat said:

Blacklane is excellent.  They are a company with a 5 star rating that services the global community. 

 

Just book online and you are all set.  Prices are extremely fair for the level of service you receive, especially in NYC.

Gratuity is included in the fare.

FYI, Blacklane isn't a car or limo service, it's a booking engine service that matches travelers' car service requests to independent chauffeurs. They are no more a car service than Expedia is an airline.

 

The company is based in Berlin, Germany, and based on the information on its website doesn't even have a US office. Other than its German headquarters, the company's satellite offices are in Singapore, Dubai and Brisbane.

 

None of the above is meant to suggest they provide bad service...but if something goes wrong, who ya gonna call, Ghostbusters? I'd much prefer to deal with a company that's actually based and licensed locally, with sufficient local presence that allows them to quickly dispatch another vehicle if yours misses its scheduled pick up or if the car breaks down .

 

BTW, having done some test bookings it appears their prices are quite high compared to local services, even taking into account that they're all inclusive.

Edited by njhorseman

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Dissect it however you wish.....Blacklane offers solid reliable service around the world.

I speak from experience.

 

Everyone is entitles to choice whatever service they prefer.  Just trying to help the original post options, didn't realize the origin of the business or its dynamic was under scrutiny.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
12 minutes ago, Condocat said:

Dissect it however you wish.....Blacklane offers solid reliable service around the world.

I speak from experience.

 

Everyone is entitles to choice whatever service they prefer.  Just trying to help the original post options, didn't realize the origin of the business or its dynamic was under scrutiny.

 I guess you missed the part of my post that said "None of the above is meant to suggest they provide bad service".

 

Everyone is entitled to know who they're doing  business with so they can make a fully-informed decision...so yes...anything can be under scrutiny.

Edited by njhorseman

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, clo said:

I just checked and they're in Rio.  We usually take a cab.  Could you expand a bit about why you prefer them to a taxi please? TIA

Blacklane always provides recent/new model luxury model sedans, such as Mercedes, BMW or similar  There is a 2 hour "grace" period built into your quote for late arrivals you will not be billed if you are late for prearranged arrival time.  Staff is extremely professional, always dressed in a suit and will go out of their way to help you: 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Think of  Blacklane  as  UBER  for limo services then  😉

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I was looking at transport for the Paris airport to our downtown hotel and Blacklane was the most expensive option. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Condocat said:

Blacklane always provides recent/new model luxury model sedans, such as Mercedes, BMW or similar  There is a 2 hour "grace" period built into your quote for late arrivals you will not be billed if you are late for prearranged arrival time.  Staff is extremely professional, always dressed in a suit and will go out of their way to help you: 

We've been using a regular taxi from the airport to Copacabana for over ten years with no problems.  We don't need/want luxury car.  We've never had to wait for a taxi.  But thanks for the info.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Sunday morning is fairly quiet, unless it is a holiday weekend like Columbus Day. Uber will be readily available.  We’ve also used Carmel- you can call the 800 number for Carmel and an get immediate operator or use the app.  

The taxi line is across the street from the terminal.  I’ve seen lines there but taxis frequent the area. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

We will need a car service from LGA to Midtown Manhattan the day before our cruise. Our plane will arrive about 2pm on a Saturday.  On this thread as well as others the two most mentioned are Dial 7 and Carmel.  Will there be an additional charge for tolls?  Having never used a car service, are the tips included in the fee and if not, what would a normal percent or tip be for this trip?  Any help would be appreciated.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Car services will add on tolls. Drivers choose the routing depending on traffic and exactly where you are going, east side, west side, etc.  Time is money.  Tolls vary by bridge, tunnel and a couple bridges are free to cars- Queensboro or Brooklyn bridge had no tolls the last I knew. 

Carmel had a flat rate charge LGA to midtown that was reasonable.  You will see their signs all over the airport with the current fee.  

Uber offers terrific service and no extra tipping is required, I’ve been told this over and over by family living in NYC.  The app will give you a range of pricing,  choice of vehicle.  On occasion, we have done a shared ride within the city for very low cost, never waiting more than a few minutes but you might have to cross the street for the shared vehicle.   Always memorize license plate info that will be on the app, I memorize the last three digits, make and model and you will see the drivers photo.   The app will tell you where to meet the car, depending on which terminal at LGA.  

Sometimes a discount code appears when you first download the Uber app.  

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Forum Jump
    • Categories
      • SAIL-AWAY GIVEAWAY - Enter for a chance to win a $3,000 Norwegian Cruise Line Gift Card
      • Forum Assistance
      • New Cruisers
      • Cruise Lines “A – O”
      • Cruise Lines “P – Z”
      • River Cruising
      • ROLL CALLS
      • Digital Photography & Cruise Technology
      • Member Cruise Reviews
      • Special Interest Cruising
      • Cruise Discussion Topics
      • UK Cruising
      • Australia & New Zealand Cruisers
      • North American Homeports
      • Ports of Call
      • Cruise Conversations
×
×
  • Create New...