Royal Princess Horizon Court breakfast

sherryf

We will be on the Royal Princess in Alaska in a few weeks. (I know, not the ideal choice, but it's what worked for us this time.)  I have heard that the Horizon Court buffet on the Royal is far superior to that on previous ships. One area that I have always found lacking about the Horizon Court is breakfast.  I love a good breakfast when I'm on vacation, like eggs benedict or huevos rancheros, or even just a good egg burrito.  The one time we went on Holland America, I was thrilled that I could have fresh, made to order eggs benedict every single day... and I did!  But that's not enough reason to switch cruise lines.  I continue to cruise Princess and to be disappointed with their breakfasts.

So, my question is, does the Royal Princess Horizon Court have a better breakfast selection than the Grand class ships that I've been on, or is it still the same old slimy eggs, artificial tasting pancakes, and potatoes reheated from the previous night's dinner? 🙄

In our opinion, not even in the same league as the Grand Class.  Can’t comment on the quality that you describe, since the provisions should have the same source.  You describe the food differently than we believe.  But, the selection, in our opinion, always leaves us looking for Royal Class Ships for our cruises.

Specifically, yes: a Benedict, a scramble, and a burrito du jour each day, in addition to the fried eggs (runny or hard) and cooked to order eggs and omelette station.  Additionally, there’s about a 100 other selections....  

As you can tell, we enjoy the Royal Horizon breakfast buffet over the Grand Class breakfast buffet.

Mangia, Paul

I love eggs benedict and always order them in the dining room if I go there for breakfast. However, the eggs benedict that I have tried in the buffet are not very good. After sitting on the hot plate for some time, the muffin has been set like concrete.

In my opinion I felt the breakfasts that we had in the horizon on the Crown on our Mediterranean trip were better than breakfasts in the horizon on the Royal, also to the Mediterranean.  Our breakfasts were amazing on the Crown. I still think about them lol. 

(Hoping our breakfast on the CB will be good in a few months lol)

In my opinion the Horizon Court buffet aboard Royal will be superior to the Grand Class ships.

However, I wanted to caution you comparing with Holland America. Having completed my 1st HAL cruise a few months ago aboard N. Statendam, I was suprised to experience an even better breakfest buffet aboard NS with greater variety and better quality offerings.

I don't think you will be disappointed with breakfest from Royal but you may want to temper your expectations if you are expecting HAL like quality based on my experience.

Edited by cheezenip

In general you can't beat the buffet on the Voyager class ships as the food is prepared better and the selection has a nice variety of yumminess to choose from. You will be sure to find something you will like. And the flow of the layout is way better than the grand class hands down.

9 hours ago, pjrockman said:

Specifically, yes: a Benedict, a scramble, and a burrito du jour each day, in addition to the fried eggs (runny or hard) and cooked to order eggs and omelette station.  Additionally, there’s about a 100 other selections....  

Hooray!  I'm not necessarily looking for exceptional quality, just items that I like.  I've never gotten a eggs benedict on Princess (buffet or MDR) that comes even close to any that I've had on land, but I'd rather have mediocre eggs benedict than gross, gooey scrambled eggs. And if they have anything resembling a breakfast burrito, I will be thrilled!

1 hour ago, sherryf said:

Hooray!  I'm not necessarily looking for exceptional quality, just items that I like.  I've never gotten a eggs benedict on Princess (buffet or MDR) that comes even close to any that I've had on land, but I'd rather have mediocre eggs benedict than gross, gooey scrambled eggs. And if they have anything resembling a breakfast burrito, I will be thrilled!

If the eggs benedict on offer don't look appetizing from sitting on the hot plate...ask for a fresh one from the kitchen. I've done this many times.

• Like 1

I am just coming home from an Alaskan cruise on the Ruby Princess...

Food on any of the buffets was disgusting to say the least. Breakfasts were less objectionable than other meals- lunch and dinner was horrible; if I didn’t eat in one of the additional fee Resturaunts or main dining room I ate pizza. 

I cruise regularly- and I loved the Alaskan cruise and the ship was fine; but I actually lost weight on this cruise...

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

12 hours ago, sherryf said:

We will be on the Royal Princess in Alaska in a few weeks. (I know, not the ideal choice, but it's what worked for us this time.)  I have heard that the Horizon Court buffet on the Royal is far superior to that on previous ships. One area that I have always found lacking about the Horizon Court is breakfast.  I love a good breakfast when I'm on vacation, like eggs benedict or huevos rancheros, or even just a good egg burrito.  The one time we went on Holland America, I was thrilled that I could have fresh, made to order eggs benedict every single day... and I did!  But that's not enough reason to switch cruise lines.  I continue to cruise Princess and to be disappointed with their breakfasts.

So, my question is, does the Royal Princess Horizon Court have a better breakfast selection than the Grand class ships that I've been on, or is it still the same old slimy eggs, artificial tasting pancakes, and potatoes reheated from the previous night's dinner? 🙄

So, why do you continue to cruise on Princess if you are so disappointed in their Horizon Court breakfast offerings?

Royal’s  buffet is not much better then what you have experienced .  You wii probably be disappointed if you are a shameless breakfast Gourmand.    Most of the offerings are mediocre IMO.   Especially the eggs.

Have you considered having breakfast in the MDR?

Good luck .  Enjoy your cruise and breakfast.

• Like 2

Just off the Royal last week.  This is our first Princess cruise so I can't compare to other ships, but I thought the variety at breakfast was pretty good.  I don't eat eggs benedict, so can't comment on quality, but it was there.  I always get plain scrambled eggs and I found the quality to be very good and consistent.  They also had a different variety of "stuff" in the eggs every day or you could get a made to order omelette.  The bacon quality varied.  Often undercooked, imo.   My kids were unhappy with the cereal selection - they want their sugared cereal and the only one available was Frosted Flakes and they ran out some days.  

2 hours ago, Kingofcool1947 said:

So, why do you continue to cruise on Princess if you are so disappointed in their Horizon Court breakfast offerings?

Royal’s  buffet is not much better then what you have experienced .  You wii probably be disappointed if you are a shameless breakfast Gourmand.    Most of the offerings are mediocre IMO.   Especially the eggs.

Have you considered having breakfast in the MDR?

Good luck .  Enjoy your cruise and breakfast.

Breakfast does not make or break a cruise.  I like most things about Princess, but I think they could do a better job with breakfast.  

I am not a "shameless breakfast gourmand" by any means.  I love going to little local diners for breakfast, and have even been known to enjoy an Egg McMuffin.

I've been to breakfast in the MDR and I haven't found the quality to be any better.  It just wastes more of my time.  Even the eggs benedict in the MDR is not good, and they won't even make it every day.  I've had them tell me No when I have asked for it sometimes.  

Honestly, I'd be content in the buffet if they would have tortillas, shredded cheese (not slices of Muenster) and salsa!  I could make my own burrito, even if I had to use slimy eggs.

• Like 1

Wow! 

Actually this was my first (and last) Princess Cruise.  

I am not a “Breakfast Gourmand “ by any means- but slimy eggs, burnt to a crisp bacon, watered down syrup on tough pancakes and stale pastries don’t meet my expectations in any venue!  The best thing about the breakfast was the oatmeal! 

• Haha 1

31 minutes ago, Klschwabe said:

I am not a “Breakfast Gourmand “ by any means- but slimy eggs, burnt to a crisp bacon, watered down syrup on tough pancakes and stale pastries don’t meet my expectations in any venue!  The best thing about the breakfast was the oatmeal! 

I have to totally agree with you.

Tony

Edited by Lucky TGO

1 hour ago, sherryf said:

Honestly, I'd be content in the buffet if they would have tortillas, shredded cheese (not slices of Muenster) and salsa!  I could make my own burrito, even if I had to use slimy eggs.

This may be the best idea I've heard all day. Princess should have a breakfast burrito bar. We'll do the work. Just give us some flour tortillas (or corn for DIY huevos rancheros) some beans and chorizo and cheese. We'll even use those dehyrated/rehydrated supposedly scrambled eggs as long as there's a good salsa to cover it up.

But until then, I hope Sherry and family will try the omelette station. They can fix a lot of your problems. They can even make a mean Mexican omelette.

Jim

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Klschwabe said:

Wow! 

Actually this was my first (and last) Princess Cruise.  

We were on the Royal the week of July 6.  Breakfast in the horizon was GREAT!  Not at all what is quoted above in my opinion.  Eggs were cooked to perfection, bacon crispy but not burnt, and the pancakes and syrup all good.  I can't comment on pastries as I did not sample those.  They even had creamy grits which we love.  French toast was unbelievable.  Usually a plain version, and another version (chocolate chip, or other) everyday.   I have NO complaints about the breakfast buffet!!  But of course just my opinion!