Which ports do you enjoy returning to?

ilikeanswers

I have seen a few posts around the forums about ports people dislike returning to and it got me wondering what are the ports that people like returning to? Are there any ports you can return to again and again and never get bored? Or do all ports have a point where you lose interest in visiting them?

14 minutes ago, ilikeanswers said:

I have seen a few posts around the forums about ports people dislike returning to and it got me wondering what are the ports that people like returning to? Are there any ports you can return to again and again and never get bored? Or do all ports have a point where you lose interest in visiting them?

We especially liked returning to Florence (port is actually Livorno).

Our first cruise was for our 25th wedding anniversary, Western Mediterranean Barcelona to Barcelona. And I really screwed up and got us on a train going the wrong way when we wanted to go to Florence. DW did figure it out, and we did get back the right way and at least had time to see Pisa, but not Florence. This was especially distressing since DW is an art teacher.

10 years later for our 35th anniversary, we did another Barcelona to Barcelona cruise, though some of the ports were a little different. This time we bought the ship's Florence on your own excursion. And finally getting to see Florence was amazing.

The port for Nice was also quite nice doing again. (Though the 2 cruises actually had different ports from which to see Nice.)

Just now, George C said:

St Thomas,

I'm curious.  We were there 20 years ago and it was just crawling with tourists.  I'm guessing it's worse now.  What do you do there?  And Dubrovnik?  I wouldn't return there if you paid me.  Literally.  UNESCO is threatening to revoke their heritage status due to overcrowding.  But I'm with you on New York and Barcelona.  Big cities bring me back but not necessarily from a ship.

1 minute ago, ontheweb said:

DW is an art teacher.

Ah, that's a big part of it.  Our daughter who lived in that area for a semester in college (and others have also said it) that unless you're really into art, Florence can be skipped.

Yes St Thomas has changed a lot over last 40 years , wife still loves the shopping, we bought her engagement ring at imperial jewelers about 30 years ago and still likes that store, trunk bay in St Johns is my favorite beach. We really enjoyed walking around the old walled city in Dubrovnik.

Favourite ports for return visits are Sydney, Bay of Islands, Hong Kong, Apia, Reykjavik, Dubrovnik & Rhodes. Although not a port, the Panama Canal is always a favourite.

Ports we prefer not to visit are the Caribbean Islands, except the ABC islands.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, clo said:

Ah, that's a big part of it.  Our daughter who lived in that area for a semester in college (and others have also said it) that unless you're really into art, Florence can be skipped.

I'm not as much into art as DW, world's finest elementary art teacher. In fact, often when we are doing several museums I get burned out, but I really did enjoy Florence. Though I could see if you were not into art at all being in a city that is almost a living museum would not be at all enjoyable.

It did seem to me that just about everyone else on our Florence on your own excursion was actually much more into shopping than enjoying the incredible art.

25 minutes ago, George C said:

Seeing David is reason enough to go to Florence, wife also bought a really nice leather jacket very unique. 

Within Florence one can find at least 5 statues of David: 3 originals and 2 copies. The oldest statue is the bronze David by Donatello, completed around 1440; next is the David of Verrocchio (the master of Leonardo da Vinci) from 1475; and finally the youngest David by Michelangelo from 1500. One of my favorites is at Piazzale Michelangelo, a park on a hill which has a wonderful view of Florence. 

Image result for david statue Piazzale Michelangelo night view 

Image result for florence

Edited by SantaFeFan

Hmm, if I am only considering ports:

Istanbul -- One of the few 'great' cities that is also easily accessible by ship -- you dock and you are right in the action. 

Naples and Ephesus -- both offer so much to see and do in the immediate area that one could visit on five back-to-back cruises and still do something different each time.

Rome -- any day I get to Rome is a good day.

There are many other ports in the Med that I could visit happily every few years but maybe not every year.  Same with Asia. Twice in Alaska was plenty for me -- it is way too crowded now and can't compare to my first cruise visit in 1977. I've all but given up the Caribbean; maybe once every 4 years or so for a 'relaxation and sun' holiday. I did enjoy Havana a lot and would have been happy to go back there again....one day....😒

2 hours ago, clo said:

....or history, or food, or beautiful scenery, or architecture

Florence doesn't shine its brightest as a cruise stop. But it is a wonderful little city. Especially if one goes in November when tourists are much fewer. 

I took my adult son to Florence and Venice last November. He's always wanted to go to Venice and I thought we might as well toss Florence in too. (He's been to Rome...)  It turned out that he liked Florence far more than Venice, to my surprise. He was taken with the history of the Medici family and loved climbing up all the various towers for views of inside art or outside scenery...

One of the best gelaterias in the world is in Florence. They also have the famous bistecca Fiorentina from their huge happy white cattle. DS and I split one, grilled with fresh rosemary wands and sea salt and then kissed with the fresh new olive oil brought in the day before from the annual harvest. The Mercato Centrale is an amazing place to nibble your way through, too.

I think the Baptistery is one of the most perfect Romanesque buildings I've ever entered and was one of the inspirations for the development of the Renaissance style.

Edited by cruisemom42
  • Like 2

Are we talking ports here or places to visit when you reach the port?

Florence is a beautiful place, if a little dull, for non church lovers.

But Florence isnt a port.

For me the place I am looking forward to going back to is Naples. The ship sails right into the city, and if you are asleep when it docks, you are blessed with an amazing view of the city when you open your curtains.

Its actually a very dangerous City, and and not one to be taken lightly, but Pompeii is just down the road, which is incredible.

3 hours ago, ilikeanswers said:

Bermuda,we have been there 10 times.The first time was in 1973.

St.Maarten,my favorite island in the Caribbean.I prefer the Dutch side.

Bermuda.  Over the past 40 or so years I/we've cruised there 22 times.  I really liked it when the ships were  smaller and they would dock in St Georges, stay over night and then go over to Hamilton for 3 days.