Cruise Critic Community
cruising with the family

Cancel for any reason - work trip delay?

Hi, I'm considering booking a last minute (early August) cruise to end the summer.  The cruise leaves on Friday...I am currently scheduled to get back from an international work trip on Wednesday evening. We would be driving to the port either late Thursday evening or early friday morning, so I think I will be fine...but I would likely get insurance because it is hurricane season, and because I am nervous as poop about the proximity of these two trips.

I have read multiple "Cancel for any reason" policies, but they all seem to have "reasons" that are covered. My question is, if my international flight is extremely delayed, causing me to miss the cruise, does anyone know if that would be covered under an insurance policy?  It is not travel directly related to the cruise, so I am not sure!

Posted (edited)

There are policies that cover cancellation for work reasons, but I don’t know if a delayed return falls under that heading. I’d call and talk to an agent. 

The problem, as I see it, is that the work trip was already planned. It is not a last minute change by your employer requiring you to work that would cause you to cancel the cruise. You knew about it before you booked the cruise; therefore, it is not an unforeseen event.

You can always fall back on the cancel for any reason provided you buy it within the prescribed time frame- it just costs an additional premium and reimburses less than 100%.

Edited by Babr

Hopefully you have already called a broker such as tripinsurancestore.com or one of the others recommended on this forum. Perhaps you can still buy a policy that covers your situation.  At least, they will let you know.

I would be careful about most cancel for any reason (CFAR) policies in your situation. Besides only giving you 75% or less of your money back, a problem with typical CFAR policies is they will not let you cancel in the last 2 days or 48 hours prior to your scheduled trip departure.  So if your work trip is delayed on Wednesday, it may be too late to use the CFAR clause for a Friday cruise. 

Good catch, Jersey 42

That is a crucial provision that I had forgotten about - and 2 days or 48 hours does not necessarily mean the same thing. The timing is crucial and too close for comfort in this case.

Does that time limit also apply to cruise line insurance that offers a cruise credit instead of cash? Since it is something offered by the cruise line outside of insurance, I think not.

There are a lot of reasons not to buy cruise line insurance, but in this case, it might be something to investigate. The credit must be used in a certain time period and is not insurable for cancellation on the subsequent cruise, but it might be better than nothing if the other terms of the policy are acceptable to the OP. 

Does that time limit also apply to cruise line insurance that offers a cruise credit instead of cash? Since it is something offered by the cruise line outside of insurance, I think not.

Most cruise line policies require you to purchase by final payment date. If the cruise is this August, then it is probably too late for the OP. That said, I don't know if cruise line insurance typically has a time limit.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk