should i worry about my travel agent

jon46

I called yesterday about cancelling my cruise on Encore in January and rebooking on Carnival Sunshine out of Charleston. My Sister who lives in NC has cancer and she is 83. We where to go next year 2021 cruise, But decided to visit her this coming January instead of waiting. I told my agent the room I wanted. only one left on the side I want. And I also wanted the easy pay. After the down payment they take out each month for three months. She did not know what it was. I told her its right on the web site. She said she would have to get back to me tomorrow. (after my room is booked by someone else!) She said she did not know much about Carnival. That scares me. I seem to know more then her.

9 minutes ago, jon46 said:

I called yesterday about cancelling my cruise on Encore in January and rebooking on Carnival Sunshine out of Charleston. My Sister who lives in NC has cancer and she is 83. We where to go next year 2021 cruise, But decided to visit her this coming January instead of waiting. I told my agent the room I wanted. only one left on the side I want. And I also wanted the easy pay. After the down payment they take out each month for three months. She did not know what it was. I told her its right on the web site. She said she would have to get back to me tomorrow. (after my room is booked by someone else!) She said she did not know much about Carnival. That scares me. I seem to know more then her.

I think you've answered your own question. You seem knowledgable enough to just book it on your own directly through Carnival, either online or over the phone. Just ask to be connected to a PVP (personal vacation planner) and you'll be good to go.

only reason I go to travel agent. I hear everyone say they will help you. like keeping ahead on price drops. funny mine only goes up. But now I am wondering.

They don't typically monitor your cruise for price drops, they will "handle" them if you notice a drop and call and tell them about it.  You can do the same thing yourself direct with Carnival.  Travel Agents are a thing of the past, if you can use the site there is absolutely no purpose of a TA.  The PVPs can do all the same stuff.

6&8

• Like 1

Certainly get another TA. The one I finally found is wonderful. She constantly checks for better deals on a cruise I have booked or wanting to book. She has saved me thousands so far. Gives me additional OBC that is not offered by the cruise line. The major company she represents has loyalty perks and added OBC. Always something added that the cruise line does not offer. The price is usually lower than the cruise lines web site but not always. She was an avid cruiser and still is. She is retired and does this to keep busy and does not want a lot of clients so she can better serve each one. Works out of her home in Miami.

55 minutes ago, sixesandeights said:

Why even use a TA?  They typically provide no value whatsoever.  That is pretty obvious in this case.  Just book direct with Carnival.  

6&8

The value they bring is OBC. If you aren't getting that then I would agree book direct...or find a better agent.

Edited by Saint Greg

48 minutes ago, jon46 said:

only reason I go to travel agent. I hear everyone say they will help you. like keeping ahead on price drops. funny mine only goes up. But now I am wondering.

You can do mock bookings occasionally to check on price drops.  If it looks like there's a drop but you're not sure, you can just call Carnival and they'll confirm it is a drop before changing your booking.  

If you have a particular room location in mind, just book what you want now, if you're happy with the price.  Better than missing out

• Like 1

Only reason to use a TA is to get some of the price kicked back out from their commission.  I have found nothing in the cruise world I cannot figure out our get answered on my own.  I don't need someone suggesting what they think I will like or making suggestions.

Edited by ray98

2 hours ago, jon46 said:

TA's very often 'drag their heels' on price drops because it affects their commission....the price drops and so does their commission.  Never heard of a TA letting you know about a price drop either!  I would say, go ahead and book the cabin you want by calling CCL directly - easy peasy as you even know exactly what cabin you want (and CCL may show other cabins and not just the one the TA told you about??? - just saying it may be worth it to you!)

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, remob4 said:

A TA isn't necessary for a Carnival cruise. Just call Carnival and have them book it - we do that every cruise and the Carnival people get us the room we want.

A travel agent isn't required to book any sort of travel in the internet age, the consumer can do it with a few keystrokes requiring no special knowledge.  They will soon be relics of the past like phone company operators.

• Like 2

I'd either call Carnival or Priceline.
Priceline if you are looking for extras (like OBC, paid gratuities, etc.) Not sure what specials they are running right now.
Othewise we just book straight with Carnival.

But yeah, they sound a bit flaky. (unlike Carnival's biscuits)

I have not used travel agent since a vacation to Hawaii in 2002. I have managed to put together all my own travel and vacations since. I would say if you feel you must use a travel agent then I would find one that does what you can't or don't feel comfortable in doing. If your checking the website yourself and looking for price drops then I would just manage the whole thing and do it myself. It would take more OBC than I hear people talk about to have to hassle with a third party in planning and booking my cruise or any vacation especially when I am doing the leg work anyway. 

• Like 2

did not hear from my agent. at 4pm called the company. talked to another agent. She said I have to e-mail a signed cancelation notice, which I did and they received it. they had my agent call me back. She said she put my cabin on hold. But said the price would be almost $1,000 more. this month is past cruise discount. She did not even check if I was a past passenger. She said she would look into it and send me an e-mail. She said the easy saver is just for booking on computer., but I can send them a e-mail as how much I want taken out each month. I still feel its poor customer service.Still waiting on the e-mail.

47 minutes ago, jon46 said:

did not hear from my agent. at 4pm called the company. talked to another agent. She said I have to e-mail a signed cancelation notice, which I did and they received it. they had my agent call me back. She said she put my cabin on hold. But said the price would be almost $1,000 more. this month is past cruise discount. She did not even check if I was a past passenger. She said she would look into it and send me an e-mail. She said the easy saver is just for booking on computer., but I can send them a e-mail as how much I want taken out each month. I still feel its poor customer service.Still waiting on the e-mail.

I would not wait for her at all.   Call carnival or book it online yourself...its extremely easy to do. 

• Like 1

finally heard from her. She said I was right on the cost of the cruise. Now I only have to pay for the cruise and I am done with that TA. I checked online and Carnival does have my Booking. I also printed my luggage tags.

We had early dining and the weather degraded as we continued out.  Half way thru dinner, the main storm hit and the ship  listed to port.  Stuff went crashing (not all that bad) but we heard later from our last waiter some of the prep food for late seating went flying.  

• Thanks 1

You need to find a better travel agent.  Mine doesn't work much with Carnival, but she ALWAYS finds the information that is needed without question or argument.  On the one hand, it's great she was going to find out, but on the other, it's kind of annoying not to do it quicker.

You can also book online, using the e-z pay option, and then move the booking to a TA painlessly.  (I do this all the time, I tend to book super late at night, when no TA in the US is awake).