Empress B2B - 14 Nights on the Biggest Little Ship

Day 4 Afternoon

Back on board it was time.  It was also Diamond Happy Hour so the regulars were checking in.

lyZVXxd.jpg

Back on board was 5:30pm.  By 6pm the ship's whistle had been used several times and a party of 5 was requested to contact guest services several times.   

tULWUTQ.jpg

I had a reservation in Chops so I didn't hang around to learn of their outcome.  I was seated in Chops just before we pulled away from the pier.

Caesar Salad:

eRMI8F6.jpg

New Zealand Rack of Lamb.  Yum.

VaGrwQI.jpg

New York Cheesecake

8rCMRFw.jpg

I swung by my cabin to change but my cabin attendant was servicing it so I headed up to the WJ to see what tonight's offerings included.  English Night with many of the regular English theme night items as seen on other ships.

4HUOIuh.jpg

Windjammer has it's own bar so while I waited...

nnpw0cS.jpg

I thought I'd swing by the deck 6 aft public deck behind Boleros.  Half smoking, half not.

bmtcNhu.jpg

Empress is definitely a ship where you can connect with the sea.

IkF9raW.jpg

Back to my cabin I thought Kenneth had forgotten to leave a Cruise Compass but then I discovered the towel animal had taken in.

v3vv59a.jpg

• Like 1

3 hours ago, John&LaLa said:

We were there every day at 7:30 🤣

Brunch starts at 9:00 and goes to noon

Much better.

You mean the brunch in the MDR that is open to all, correct?  The one that used to feature complimentary mimosas and bloody marys but no longer does?

3 hours ago, ZoeyVictoria said:

The loungers are free, but you are asked (repeatedly) to purchase food.  Two cokes, a cheese quesadilla, and a chicken quesadilla were $34.  She first asked for $49, but we questioned it.  The quesadillas were huge, we should have shared.  The overhead walkway is a $10 tour that includes birds.  The tequila tour is $10 also (I believe).  And a fish pedicure is $20.  

Maya Chan, where we had a reservation, was not open the day we were there because the Majesty had to switch ports; Costa Maya and Cozumel were reversed.  We decided to stay at the port, primarily because I had not done much Costa Maya research and wasn’t impressed with the little I did. We enjoyed the day, but will look for something else next time.  Hopefully, that will be Maya Chan.

Did you do the "tequila tour"?  Please explain more about it.  I have been thinking about getting the fish pedicure...………..  😊

52 minutes ago, Merion_Mom said:

Much better.

You mean the brunch in the MDR that is open to all, correct?  The one that used to feature complimentary mimosas and bloody marys but no longer does?

Actually the hostess at MTD told me they are still doing booze free in morning. 

But its sparkling swill and New Amsterdam 🤣🤣

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, ZoeyVictoria said:

The loungers are free, but you are asked (repeatedly) to purchase food.  Two cokes, a cheese quesadilla, and a chicken quesadilla were $34.  She first asked for $49, but we questioned it.  The quesadillas were huge, we should have shared.  The overhead walkway is a $10 tour that includes birds.  The tequila tour is $10 also (I believe).  And a fish pedicure is $20.  

Maya Chan, where we had a reservation, was not open the day we were there because the Majesty had to switch ports; Costa Maya and Cozumel were reversed.  We decided to stay at the port, primarily because I had not done much Costa Maya research and wasn’t impressed with the little I did. We enjoyed the day, but will look for something else next time.  Hopefully, that will be Maya Chan.

hhhhmmmmmmm...……………………...This makes RC's "Port Pass" excursion actually a (rare) good buy.    $36.99 

OVERVIEW

Stay on site at the Costa Maya Port and enjoy all we have to offer! Try out our Port Experiences and then sit back, relax and enjoy a couple of drinks. Tour includes three of our unique port activities: Aviary: Climb heights on this unique aviary experience. Traverse the habitats through hanging bridges with incredible views of the entire port, get ready to feed the most beautiful and exotic birds in the Caribbean. Kakaw: Get ready to know how the chocolate became a cultural sensation. Our chocolate factory is a great adventure full of flavor that you cannot miss. Tequila Museum: Follow Panchito and Macario to know the process of production of tequila of México. Afterwards, taste some of our best brand Tequilas. You will also have access to our Port Facilities (Lounge Chairs, Restrooms & Showers) FIRST COME FIRST SERVE. Finally relax and enjoy three complimentary House Drinks at bar del árbol (Margarita, Piña Colada, Daiquiri, water or soda) CMD5

• Like 1

Thank you for giving us a review on the Empress. We will be on her for 8 nights in September. The last time was 2005. We also have junior suite and was told they do not have the small refrigerator/cooler. I requested one for my husband’s medicine. The cabins look the size of a balcony room, I hope I won’t be tripping over it in the middle of the night 😀  

Enjoy your cruise and looking forward to more posts. 

18 minutes ago, Merion_Mom said:

hhhhmmmmmmm...……………………...This makes RC's "Port Pass" excursion actually a (rare) good buy.    $36.99 

OVERVIEW

Stay on site at the Costa Maya Port and enjoy all we have to offer! Try out our Port Experiences and then sit back, relax and enjoy a couple of drinks. Tour includes three of our unique port activities: Aviary: Climb heights on this unique aviary experience. Traverse the habitats through hanging bridges with incredible views of the entire port, get ready to feed the most beautiful and exotic birds in the Caribbean. Kakaw: Get ready to know how the chocolate became a cultural sensation. Our chocolate factory is a great adventure full of flavor that you cannot miss. Tequila Museum: Follow Panchito and Macario to know the process of production of tequila of México. Afterwards, taste some of our best brand Tequilas. You will also have access to our Port Facilities (Lounge Chairs, Restrooms & Showers) FIRST COME FIRST SERVE. Finally relax and enjoy three complimentary House Drinks at bar del árbol (Margarita, Piña Colada, Daiquiri, water or soda) CMD5

But only if you're actually interested in all three experiences....

33 minutes ago, vegascruiser1 said:

Thank you for giving us a review on the Empress. We will be on her for 8 nights in September. The last time was 2005. We also have junior suite and was told they do not have the small refrigerator/cooler. I requested one for my husband’s medicine. The cabins look the size of a balcony room, I hope I won’t be tripping over it in the middle of the night 😀  

Enjoy your cruise and looking forward to more posts. 

The last time I saw this, they put the medical refrigerator on the vanity/desk top.  Or was it under the desk?  Whichever, it was out of the way.   🙂 

• Like 1

Night 4 

I caught the end of some very good latin music in Boleros by the band Bamboleo.  This was followed by the adult only Majority Rules game show.  My first time taking one of these in and it was quite entertaining.  Emphasis on adult only.

gKw5HcG.jpg

Boleros was hopping tonight.  One of the best bars on the ship.

50c4LbT.jpg

The interesting thing about this game show is that it will change every time based on what all the teams collectively come up with to determine the majority.  Meanwhile some of the answers are quite hilarious.  Emphasis on adult only.  Seriously team 2?  The washy-washy guy?  

1iH7Vd8.jpg

This was immediately followed by the 70’s party in the Viking Crown Lounge.

lcEKNg7.jpg

t9AZYEW.jpg

ByNFqDM.jpg

BjquXXa.jpg

While up here I checked out the late night Windjammer offerings and once again it was a lot more than just burgers and hot dogs.  Quite a nice spread.  

Kim Kinrade was playing late late night in the Schooner Bar.  

CmibgOa.jpg

The first night I enjoyed Kim’s pub type cover music.  The second night it was kind of repetitive.  The third night was more than enough of the same.  Sorry Kim.  Time for bed.  

Day 5 Cozumel

Waking up I discovered we were at the international pier in Cozumel.  Shortly after we arrived two Carnival sister ships arrived.  Vista and Horizon are the two newest and largest ships in their fleet.  

ePlqYV5.jpg

Whale tail spotted at the international pier!  Carnival normally uses the twin piers next to us but the Fantasy followed us up from Costa Maya yesterday and joined us as a pier mate today.

xqR9NPa.jpg

Not long after the Caribbean Princess sailed in.  

m9RzzjP.jpg

That should make for busy day on port.  Since I'll be here again next week I think I'll stay on the ship today.

Some pictures around the pool deck to fill in spots I missed.

WLrUNYs.jpg

4mK1zH8.jpg

On day one there was a card in my cabin to select which Crown and Anchor tours I wanted to participate in.  I didn't submit it since I had done them last year and I knew I could do them next week if I really wanted to.  Louis took the opportunity to sign me up assuming I missed the deadline.  He really is a great Loyalty Ambassador.

PTcP4yP.jpg

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, runtzmom said:

So, with no diamond lounge....do they offer any coffee (cuppaccinos) for diamond members?

No.  At least not that I've encountered but I haven't tried either. 

The 3 standard drink coupons are available at any bar or restaurant 5pm to 8:30pm.  Beyond that, lacking a Diamond Lounge there are no lounge type benefits available.

7 minutes ago, TPCRUISER2 said:

Twangster: Was on Empress a year ago Dec. They had the Diamond lounge in the Viking Crown. From your review I think they must have stopped that practice?

I wasn't aware that Empress ever had a diamond lounge in the VCL.  July 2018 when I last sailed her it didn't. 

They do suggest that the VCL is a place where Diamond or higher members can gather to meet with other Diamond or higher members while they enjoy their 3 drink coupons but they also specifically state the area is open to all guests on board during this time.  

3 minutes ago, twangster said:

I wasn't aware that Empress ever had a diamond lounge in the VCL.  ....

You are correct, there never was a DL (or CL or SL) on Empress.

28 minutes ago, Host Clarea said:

You are correct, there never was a DL (or CL or SL) on Empress.

Do they still do the Diamond and above event on the aft deck behind Boleros on sail-away date?  Some say they do; some say they don't.  They used to do it shortly after she returned to the RCCL fleet.

On 7/23/2019 at 11:06 AM, twangster said:

Behind Boleros is an aft facing public deck.  Empress doesn't have a Diamond lounge but on day one they have a sail away gathering for Diamond and higher with complimentary drinks and a piano player.  I'll try to get some photos on the next cruise.