What to do with carried on soda?

mamabear52

We are taking the cruise line up on their kind offer of allowing us to bring canned soda on board. My question is, what do we do with the cans after boarding but before the cabin is ready?  Faster to the Fun is no longer available on our particular cruise, we are boarding 1230-1, cabins are usually not available until 1 or 130. I have a little luggage rack I could use, just wondering if someone on CC has a clever, better idea. 

Honestly, most people will just use bungee cords and strap the boxes to the top of their luggage, or take the cans out of the box and put them into a backpack.  It's always good to plan ahead (good for you!) as you will have to lug those around until the rooms open up.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, mamabear52 said:

We are taking the cruise line up on their kind offer of allowing us to bring canned soda on board. My question is, what do we do with the cans after boarding but before the cabin is ready?  Faster to the Fun is no longer available on our particular cruise, we are boarding 1230-1, cabins are usually not available until 1 or 130. I have a little luggage rack I could use, just wondering if someone on CC has a clever, better idea. 

We put a 12 pack in each of our backpacks.  That works for us.  Of course, we're usually not in the "must be first" group onboard, and can typically take them directly to our room.

Edited by Shmoo here
  • Like 1

38 minutes ago, Schoifmom said:

Honestly, most people will just use bungee cords and strap the boxes to the top of their luggage, or take the cans out of the box and put them into a backpack.  It's always good to plan ahead (good for you!) as you will have to lug those around until the rooms open up.

We bring a case of 12 still in it's cardboard container. We attach a luggage tag and it is delivered to our room. 

image.jpeg.f116ffd362f0ca55821e32c3066559be.jpeg

17 minutes ago, SantaFeFan said:

We bring a case of 12 still in it's cardboard container. We attach a luggage tag and it is delivered to our room. 

That doesn't work on at least one cruise line - Disney.  Beverages must be in carry on bags, not checked.  I believe Holland America also has the same policy.

8 minutes ago, Shmoo here said:

That doesn't work on at least one cruise line - Disney.  Beverages must be in carry on bags, not checked.  I believe Holland America also has the same policy.

Thanks for the clarification. Our most recent experience has been on Princess.

After your reply, I did a bit of digging. Seems that only Princess will allow it in checked luggage. A few will allow it in carry on luggage, and some won't allow it at all. And those rules occasionally change, so the best option is to check directly with the cruise line for the time frame of a cruise. 

Edited by SantaFeFan

Hi Mamabear

Welcome to cruise critic.

Just check in a little later. Your cabin will be ready (the lines are also shorter)... problem solved. That was easy. 😃

have a great cruise

5 hours ago, SantaFeFan said:

You definitely won’t be doing this in Port Canaveral.....all soda must be carried on 

Edited by GTO-Girl

6 hours ago, Nic6318 said:

Hi Mamabear

Welcome to cruise critic.

Just check in a little later. Your cabin will be ready (the lines are also shorter)... problem solved. That was easy. 😃

have a great cruise

Haha.  I like it!  Boom, problem solved!! 

15 hours ago, SantaFeFan said:

OP is going on Carnival and Carnival requires that they be carried on.

19 hours ago, SantaFeFan said:

Thanks for the clarification. Our most recent experience has been on Princess.

After your reply, I did a bit of digging. Seems that only Princess will allow it in checked luggage. A few will allow it in carry on luggage, and some won't allow it at all. And those rules occasionally change, so the best option is to check directly with the cruise line for the time frame of a cruise. 

Seabourn allows you to check it as luggage. I love my Diet Dr. Pepper and was worried that it wouldn't be onboard so I made a quick stop at a Walgreens in Miami before boarding. They took it as checked luggage but the cardboard ended up busted in transit. If I were to do it again I would bring some packing tape or a small tote to put them in.

• 4 weeks later...

I always bring a rolling bag (carry-on size) to hold two 12-packs and a few other things. Once we're on board we just find a table somewhere on Lido and stay there until the room is ready, taking turns going to get lunch or leaving for other reasons.

Without FTTF, I think you're pretty much stuck with carting them around or having someone watch them for you.