Shore Excursions

lpmom

I’m trying to find shore excursions that are reasonably priced for Portland and St, John that aren’t through RCCL. There are only two of us and everything I see is for more people. I’ve enquired on our roll call list but no response probably because only 30 people are signed up.  Can anyone help.

• Like 1

I guess it could be that the question is a bit broad-- if you're not going through the ship what are you looking to do? In Portland, do you want to go to Kennebunkport for the day? Or a tour of the city itself? Things like that might help. There are certainly private tour guides that you can hire in each place or alternatively you could rent a car and do some things on your own. Just hard to dive into it when we don't really know what you are trying to accomplish. 

Most of the private tour companies that I’ve seen have a flat fee for at least a minimum of 4 people. There are only two of us so trying to find out how to hook up with other groups to make it more affordable. Interested in almost anything at each port just don’t want to pay the full group price for only two people 

My mom and I are doing a tour of Portland on a fire truck.  Check out portlandfiretours.com.  We are then going to eat lunch and then take a Lighthouse Tour through Portland Discovery Land & Sea Tours (portlanddiscovery.com).

In Saint John, NB (I assume that's where you are talking about) we are doing a tour on one of the city transit buses. Check out thinktransit.com.  It's only a 2 hour tour, but we're going to play the rest of the day by ear and just see what we can find to do.

As someone else mentioned, Trip Advisor is a great resource for finding tours such as this.  It is actually where I found these tours.  No they aren't private, but they are also not a cruise ship excursion so they are much smaller.

Edited by olemissreb

On 7/23/2019 at 5:18 PM, princeton123211 said:

I guess it could be that the question is a bit broad-- if you're not going through the ship what are you looking to do? In Portland, do you want to go to Kennebunkport for the day? Or a tour of the city itself? Things like that might help. There are certainly private tour guides that you can hire in each place or alternatively you could rent a car and do some things on your own. Just hard to dive into it when we don't really know what you are trying to accomplish. 

I've been to Portland a couple of times.  We went on Lucky Catch and learned about lobsters, then bought one, took it next door and they cooked it for us.  When family members go to Portland, this is a must.  So fun.  We also went on fire truck city tour one time.  It was nice.  both are about 3 hours, so plenty of time to find other good places to eat, shop, or wander.  It's a lovely town and looking forward to being back. 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 7/23/2019 at 3:44 PM, lpmom said:

I’m trying to find shore excursions that are reasonably priced for Portland and St, John that aren’t through RCCL. There are only two of us and everything I see is for more people. I’ve enquired on our roll call list but no response probably because only 30 people are signed up.  Can anyone help.

what sailing are you on? the roll call here on cruise critic or Facebook group for your specific sailing might be more helpful

• 9 months later...

OP may have sailed last year but thought I would post to help others.I have lived most of my life in Portland.I would recommend taking a Casco Bay Ferry ride to Peaks Island. Ferry terminal is next door to cruise ship terminal. Ferry ticket is less than $8 per adult, half price for children & seniors. You will pass 3 lighthouses on your 15 minute boat ride. You can explore island on foot, by rented bike or golf cart rental. There is a wonderful historic golf cart tour for about $18 pp. Peaks is a quaint village/artist colony with a fishing and military history. Pebble beaches and beautiful scenery. Several good restaurants. We usually have lunch at the Inn at Peaks. You can also grab a takeout picnic and walk up to the military museum which has a wonderful veranda with a million dollar view of the rocky cliffs overlooking the ocean.  

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 6/7/2020 at 11:56 AM, happywhencruising said:

OP may have sailed last year but thought I would post to help others.I have lived most of my life in Portland.I would recommend taking a Casco Bay Ferry ride to Peaks Island. Ferry terminal is next door to cruise ship terminal. Ferry ticket is less than $8 per adult, half price for children & seniors. You will pass 3 lighthouses on your 15 minute boat ride. You can explore island on foot, by rented bike or golf cart rental. There is a wonderful historic golf cart tour for about $18 pp. Peaks is a quaint village/artist colony with a fishing and military history. Pebble beaches and beautiful scenery. Several good restaurants. We usually have lunch at the Inn at Peaks. You can also grab a takeout picnic and walk up to the military museum which has a wonderful veranda with a million dollar view of the rocky cliffs overlooking the ocean.  

As of right now, though, CBL is NOT selling "tour" tickets. You can't just take a ride on the ferry. It's considered public transportation and under the emergency order nonessential riders can't purchase tickets. Check the CBL website for the current status to avoid disappointment at the terminal. Non ticketed people are not allowed in the waiting room at this time, even.

2 hours ago, MEcruzr said:

As of right now, though, CBL is NOT selling "tour" tickets. You can't just take a ride on the ferry. It's considered public transportation and under the emergency order nonessential riders can't purchase tickets. Check the CBL website for the current status to avoid disappointment at the terminal. Non ticketed people are not allowed in the waiting room at this time, even.

I would like to assume that the poster assumed under normal times, seeing that this was originally a thread from last year. Let's hope Maine is better off next year.

2 minutes ago, 1025cruise said:

I would like to assume that the poster assumed under normal times, seeing that this was originally a thread from last year. Let's hope Maine is better off next year.

Absolutely! I just didn't want anyone to read it with a current date and think hey, let's go do that. The islands are trying very hard to keep their aging populations safe. Day trippers are a real threat to them.

Also, the ferry has reduced passenger limits and trips per day meaning there is a very real chance that people who LIVE on the islands will not be allowed to board the ferry to go home. My cousin's grandchildren and their other grandmother were turned away because the ferry they needed to take home had reached capacity. The next boat to our island was the following day. Weekenders and day trippers (tourists) are causing much concern this summer.

2 hours ago, MEcruzr said:

Absolutely! I just didn't want anyone to read it with a current date and think hey, let's go do that. The islands are trying very hard to keep their aging populations safe. Day trippers are a real threat to them.

Also, the ferry has reduced passenger limits and trips per day meaning there is a very real chance that people who LIVE on the islands will not be allowed to board the ferry to go home. My cousin's grandchildren and their other grandmother were turned away because the ferry they needed to take home had reached capacity. The next boat to our island was the following day. Weekenders and day trippers (tourists) are causing much concern this summer.

Yeah, its quite sad what is happening this year. I have a relative with a place in Booth Bay that I don't think will be visiting this year. I'd love to do a weekend trip or something, but with the quarantine requirements, its just not worth it.

• 3 months later...
On 7/23/2019 at 8:44 PM, lpmom said:

Good afternoon Ipmom.

We did St John's this time last year and decided on doing it all ourselves on foot. While that may not suit you for whatever reason it is certainly very doable.

While I wrote a review on how we spent our day, which may be of interest to you...

https://solentrichardscruiseblog.com/2020/09/20/one-way-to-do-st-johns-newfoundland/

...there is an element of good news for you. While climbing Signal Hill I turned to take a photograph of my wife who just happened to have the local HoHo bus behind her...

1001668166_SignalHill27HoHoBus.jpg.58128039422a20791697ad74b3b1b4ae.jpg

So they are available and, as shown, do take you to probably the most important of the historical sights.

Good luck, its a great visit.

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

In Portland the Fire Engine tour is very popular.....but make sure you take the time to go 

to Holy Donuts and don't be surprised to find a line.

St John's...Dave's Taxi Tours...was just wonderful !!!

• 11 months later...

We too use Tripadvisor to research for advice and reviews.

I prefer to take Ship Connected tours since they take you to and from and make sure you return on time.

We will be going to several ports next September 22 and will research their sights and compare to the already posted tours. Some we already know we are going to have a nice lunch like Salty's in Halifax and walk to the Public Gardens. Used all of Cunard's tours for Halifax so we are going to Ad Lib.

• 8 months later...
On 7/23/2019 at 7:33 PM, Host Carolyn said:

Trolley tour or Ducks in Portland or google " mail boat tour, " which is actually a cruise on the mail run in Casco Bay. Lovely scenery. 

Also, fun to take Casco Bay Ferry to Peaks Island. 15 minute ferry ride. Less than $8r/t for adults, less than $4 r/t for seniors & children. Ferry Terminal located next to cruise terminal. You can walk around island in about an hour. Golf cart tours available (recommend reserve in advance) or you can rent golf carts and bicycles. Several restaurants, shops and local artists. I recommend Inn at Peaks for lunch. Downfront for the best ice cream. Civil War Museum has fabulous view from back porch. 

On 7/29/2019 at 4:06 PM, Missdoug said:

I've been to Portland a couple of times.  We went on Lucky Catch and learned about lobsters, then bought one, took it next door and they cooked it for us.  When family members go to Portland, this is a must.  So fun.  We also went on fire truck city tour one time.  It was nice.  both are about 3 hours, so plenty of time to find other good places to eat, shop, or wander.  It's a lovely town and looking forward to being back. 

I will be doing the Lobster Cruise with them also in October.

Great reviews and sounds like a lot of fun!