Port to BGi airport Barbados

TT1992

Arrange your transportation to the airport with SB.  Trust me on this one my friend.  The taxi Que at the port in Barbados is a mess.  We waited in the taxi Que for almost an hour, in the rain, before the first taxis showed up at port.  Most hover around the airport or downtown.

Imagine coming off your 6 star cruise and fighting, in the rain, to get a taxi.  Talk about going from a heavenly vacation to hell in 60 mins.  There are better ways to save $50.

Agree on letting Seabourn do the work here.  Our flight wasn't till the afternoon, so we enjoyed a Seabourn bus tour/airport drop-off excursion.  It was inexpensive and worked out perfectly.

The Seabourn bus tour is a complete and utter waste of time and money.  If you like grass, trees and the other nonsense plus a lunch buffet that is utterly miserable then the tour is perfect for you.  Otherwise, do Seabourn's direct service to the airport.  You may be a bit early for your flight, but at least you have one less worry about getting to the airport.

We've just been through this issue with our TA, in readiness for our Seabourn cruise next Feb.

Our homeward flight is at 17:05, so we have a fair amount of time to kill. 

The options are  :-

1. Taxi - the caution advised above was reiterated by our TA.

2. Seabourn direct transfer, probably arriving at the airport 7-8 hours before our flight.

3. Seabourn 'tour' and transfer, arriving at the airport at around 13:00.

4. Spend until 2pm at the Hilton, which isn't too far from the port, pre arranging a car to take us there.(they do a facilities & F&B package).    

After considering these we decided on Option 2 which whilst being a bit bland, fills the time, gets us to the airport when we want to be there and is relatively cost effective, particularly if you have some OBC to use. 

A point to note - Seabourn state that this option is only suitable for those with flights departing after 15:00.

13 hours ago, TT1992 said:

I have asked this question on the Barbados board but no response.

What's the best way to get from the Port to BGi airport please? My return flight is 2:15pm

Thank you

TT1992,  You only have one good option and that would be to get SB transportation, I'n my opinion.

We always try to take the bus tour/airport transfers when ever possible.  Our tour to the airport in Auckland, New Zealand included a 2 hour museum tour and drive around Auckland while a local discussed he history of New Zealand (best tour on the entire trip).  The tour to the airport Sint Maartin was an eye opener to the extensive damage caused by hurricane Irma and made us very happy not to be living there.  The tour bus drops you off at the airport between 11:30 and noon and that is just not enough time to make your 2:15 flight.

12 hours ago, fudge said:

We have the same problem, we dont fly until 8 pm, so what to do before the flight especially having suitcases!

We had a late afternoon flight. Did the tour thing and they got us there around 1:30. We checked in, but weren't allowed to check bags until 3. This was November, 2018.

25 minutes ago, mraven said:

We had a late afternoon flight. Did the tour thing and they got us there around 1:30. We checked in, but weren't allowed to check bags until 3. This was November, 2018.

Same with SXM airport last year.  AA would not start checking the 4pm flight until 1:30pm.  5 hours later we reached our gate at 6:30pm for our 4pm flight. (The flight left at 7:30)

20 hours ago, TT1992 said:

What's the best way to get from the Port to BGi airport please? My return flight is 2:15pm

Thank you

Machotspur suggested the Hilton day room which is a great idea although a 2:15 PM flight is cutting it very close.  An alternative is getting to the airportand then using the VIP lounge near gate 14.  I think the fee is $50 per person.  They have food, beverages and comfortable seating.

23 hours ago, TT1992 said:

Thank you

What date are you flying out?

We had the same issue. We had spent time at Hilton pre cruise (nice way to spend a day and we had day room) so took the Seabourn tour of Barbados. Yes, mostly a bus tour but our guide was excellent. We then had three hours to sit at the airport for the flight. Conditions so chaotic we said we would never fly out of Barbados again. Several large ships had unloaded passengers at the same time, no chairs available. We had to stand for much of 3 hours. I would certainly fill time up doing anything until 3 hours pre flight.

While I have never felt a pronounced inclination to take a Caribbean cruise, I read threads like this one with interest.  I do have a question.  Has Seabourn ever considered making things easier for its guests by having Miami to Miami itineraries?  The descriptions of the chaotic conditions in Barbados make me blanche. 

We did a Miami to Miami 12 day cruise a few years back.  We would do this every year if offered because we live in south Florida.  (Seabourn, if your listening, Miami to Miami please).

I've done more than 20+ Caribbean cruises and have turned over every rock on every island.  We love Caribbean cruises because we love to be on SB without the need to get off the ship and visit a port.  We only walked off the ship 3 times on our last 14 day St. Maartin to St. Maartin cruise.  This year, 21 day Holiday cruise.  Christmas by the pool....

We did the tour with airport drop off. Even though we had stayed in Barbados many times, tour visited some new places. It was an easy pleasant way to spend the day.  Luggage was taken to the airport while we toured in vans with AC.  In Barbados, AC is only after you clear security. You cannot check into flights more than 3 hours before the flight. The waiting area is hot and has too few seats. Take the tour. If you go straight to the airport, you will regret it.

Thank  you to everyone for your replies, very helpful. I have my travel agent looking into transfers via Seabourn.

I have another quick question; as I'm also thinking of booking a private taxi, if I do this, what is the latest time I could get off the ship? I realize it varies, just looking for ideas on what time to book the taxi for.

Thanks again

29 minutes ago, TT1992 said:

Thank  you to everyone for your replies, very helpful. I have my travel agent looking into transfers via Seabourn.

I have another quick question; as I'm also thinking of booking a private taxi, if I do this, what is the latest time I could get off the ship? I realize it varies, just looking for ideas on what time to book the taxi for.

Thanks again

Normally they like you off by 9 am. However you can sometimes hang around in Seabourn Square until later; but remember your suitcases are sitting down on the dock or in a shed or tent somewhere.

Unless you don’t put them out in the passage the night before and you carry them off the ship yourself (You need to ask permission to do this)

Edited by SKP946

We have found a lovely place about 15 minutes from the port, double occupancy, 20 US  dollars each towards food, use of the Jacuzzi and pool, between 9am and 5 pm 150 fifty dollars for two people.  Not sure if I allowed to name them on here?

We dont fly until 8 pm so perfect for us.

TT1992 - These are all good replies here.  Whether you use SB transportation or arrange for a private taxi on your own, just be sure to get to the airport at least 3 hours before your flight.  This is critically important.  You may save $100 arranging your own Taxi  and use these $$$ towards the VIP lounge in the airport (as cuddles mentioned above) but plan on 3 hours to check your bags and get through security.

I'm flying out of BGI on Jan 4th and I would LOVE your feedback on your BGI experience. 

On 7/24/2019 at 6:34 PM, SLSD said:

While I have never felt a pronounced inclination to take a Caribbean cruise, I read threads like this one with interest.  I do have a question.  Has Seabourn ever considered making things easier for its guests by having Miami to Miami itineraries?  The descriptions of the chaotic conditions in Barbados make me blanche. 

SLSD, found a MIA to MIA SB cruise this Nov 4th 🙂

https://www.seabourn.com/en_US/find-a-cruise.html#{!tag=destinationTag}destinationIds=C&{!tag=embarkTag}embarkPortCode=&{!tag=departTag}departDate=&{!tag=durationTag}duration=&{!tag=shipsTag}shipId=&{!tag=cruisetypeTag}cruiseType=&{!tag=portsTag}portsOfCall=&soldOut=false&sort=departDate asc,price_USD_anonymous asc&group.sort=departDate asc,price_USD_anonymous asc&start=0

A number of posters have noted my post #5 where I stated :-

>>Spend until 2pm at the Hilton, which isn't too far from the port, pre arranging a car to take us there.(they do a facilities & F&B package). <<

For the avoidance of doubt I was advised just a few weeks ago that the Hilton do not offer Day Rooms, at least during peak season. Presumably they can book out all of the rooms overnight.

The package that I was offered - and quoted in my post - is a facilities & F&B package - no room. I guess this is OK as showers will be available and storage for baggage etc, as well as use of the pool/lounge area etc.        

1 hour ago, machotspur said:

A number of posters have noted my post #5 where I stated :-

>>Spend until 2pm at the Hilton, which isn't too far from the port, pre arranging a car to take us there.(they do a facilities & F&B package). <<

For the avoidance of doubt I was advised just a few weeks ago that the Hilton do not offer Day Rooms, at least during peak season. Presumably they can book out all of the rooms overnight.

The package that I was offered - and quoted in my post - is a facilities & F&B package - no room. I guess this is OK as showers will be available and storage for baggage etc, as well as use of the pool/lounge area etc.        

Machotspur, thanks for the clarification.  Did you arrange your car separately, or through the hotel and could you recommend anyone please.  I currently have a seabourn transfer included but found last time they dropped us at the airport from the group hotel where a meal was provided way too close for comfort and we only just made the flight at just after 5 

32 minutes ago, galeforce9 said:

Machotspur, thanks for the clarification.  Did you arrange your car separately, or through the hotel and could you recommend anyone please.  I currently have a seabourn transfer included but found last time they dropped us at the airport from the group hotel where a meal was provided way too close for comfort and we only just made the flight at just after 5 

Hi galeforce9

I apologise but regrettably I am going to be spectacularly unhelpful in my response on this occasion  😞

We like you have the benefit of a Seabourn transfer to the airport on disembarkation however we have chosen to forgo this in favour of private arrangements. Our TA has organised the transfer for us - we just don't know at this stage who they are !!

I believe that there are lots of car providers available to pre book in Bridgetown and also I am sure that the Hilton will be pleased to arrange - at a cost - the two journeys you require.

In all honesty we are still undecided between the Hilton approach, and taking the Seabourn 'tour' and transfer. This would cost us zero (OBC) and would get us to the airport at around 12:00-13:00 for a 17:05 flight (probably the same BA flight at yourself). If you are fortunate to be flying at the front of the plane then 3hrs in the lounge isn't too bad - although the lounge that BA use isn't up to much.       

Good luck 😊