Jump to content
Cruise Critic Community

Recommended Posts

2 hours ago, sverigecruiser said:

 

Sorry, my mistake.

 

I meant disembarkation, not embarkation.

 

Priority disembarkation doesn't need any coordination with the concierge if they just tell you where to go when you want to disembark. 

Not trying to be technical but is not "telling you where to go to disembark" the same as "coordinating with the concierge."  Someone must tell you where to go and that is the concierge who escorts you down elevators and cuts lines.
My point remains.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Last cruise we tipped approx 240 to our butler, can’t remember what we gave our steward.  We changed stewards mid cruise since ours left at one of the ports to fly to another ship so we actually tipped 2 stewards that cruise.  I think 40 to the one the first few days and maybe 20 or 40 to the second one.  Last cruise I went solo, nonhaven, and tipped my steward 100, since he was really good too.  

 

I always tip our concierge, but usually throughout the week.  I didnt care for the one on the Getaway and wasn’t going to tip, but felt guilty at disembarkation and gave him 20.  But I would say usually around 80- 100 for the concierge.  But I 100% agree tip the bar staff.  I usually tip 5 or 10 each day we get drinks from them.  Same with Vibe staff, and then usually 40-60 in addition at the end of the week.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 minutes ago, david_sobe said:

Not trying to be technical but is not "telling you where to go to disembark" the same as "coordinating with the concierge."  Someone must tell you where to go and that is the concierge who escorts you down elevators and cuts lines.
My point remains.

 

We have been told by the butler so I guess they may be tipped for it. The escort by the concierge is not something I have ever asked for.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 7/23/2019 at 10:51 PM, BirdTravels said:

Totally up to you. 

 

The Butler and Concierge are not included in the Daily Service Charge. 

 

When people ask, our response is the same

 

Butler $10-$15 per person in room per day 

 

Concierge $5-$10 per person in room per day

 

Steward extra $5-$10 per person per day

 

 

As others have said, I respect that you add value to this community in general with your posts.  However, I feel compelled to ask WHY you post these made-up guidelines EVERY TIME a new Haven guest asks for guidance?  If this is what YOU tip, can't you just say "Personally, we tip...."  Even the way you format your post makes it appear that these are published guidelines from some reliable NCL or cruise authority source.  THEY ARE NOT (and you know that.)  Every time you post this same exact post, there follows a litany of other posts trying to assure the OP that this is NOT anyone's guideline but yours. (and you see that as well.)

 

So my question is - why do you continue to perpetuate these fake guidelines?  If this is what you tip, fine.  Just please plainly say that.  (BTW I am a regular Haven/suites cruiser and have never tipped $490 for the week - and I am admittedly "needy" 😉)

 

To the OP -  I usually travel solo and I tip $100-200 to the butler, depending upon level of service.  I give the room steward an extra $50 (even though the room steward is covered by the DSC) and I tip the Concierge $50 if I use them alot (less if I don't.)  I tip a dollar or two per drink.  I tip the casino slot attendants who have been extra attentive or paid me a handpay $50.  (Unless it's over $2K - then I would tip more)  Those are all the tips I pay!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I think tipping in the Haven is very personal, as is tipping in general.  It should depend on what services you request, how those services are rendered and what your budget is.

 

There are no guidelines and it is up to the passenger what they tip.  After saying that, I start with $10 a day for the Butler and $5 a day for the Concierge and then I remove or add based on the above criteria.  On my last cruise, the figures were swapped, as I got more service from the Concierge than I did the Butler.  Some tip more than I do and some tip less, but keep in mind that there is no right or wrong amount and the Butler and Concierge will be appreciative with what ever you decide to tip.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, pcakes122 said:

As others have said, I respect that you add value to this community in general with your posts.  However, I feel compelled to ask WHY you post these made-up guidelines EVERY TIME a new Haven guest asks for guidance?  If this is what YOU tip, can't you just say "Personally, we tip...."  Even the way you format your post makes it appear that these are published guidelines from some reliable NCL or cruise authority source.  THEY ARE NOT (and you know that.)  Every time you post this same exact post, there follows a litany of other posts trying to assure the OP that this is NOT anyone's guideline but yours. (and you see that as well.)

 

So my question is - why do you continue to perpetuate these fake guidelines?  If this is what you tip, fine.  Just please plainly say that.  (BTW I am a regular Haven/suites cruiser and have never tipped $490 for the week - and I am admittedly "needy" 😉)

 

To the OP -  I usually travel solo and I tip $100-200 to the butler, depending upon level of service.  I give the room steward an extra $50 (even though the room steward is covered by the DSC) and I tip the Concierge $50 if I use them alot (less if I don't.)  I tip a dollar or two per drink.  I tip the casino slot attendants who have been extra attentive or paid me a handpay $50.  (Unless it's over $2K - then I would tip more)  Those are all the tips I pay!

Was there something unclear with the very first line that says “it is up to you”. Did you read that before blasting me????? The OP asked. I responded. I prefixed it with “it is up to you”’. Was that not clear????  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, BirdTravels said:

Was there something unclear with the very first line that says “it is up to you”. Did you read that before blasting me????? The OP asked. I responded. I prefixed it with “it is up to you”’. Was that not clear????  

Your post implies "It's up to you....but here are the guidelines."  Even the OP said they remembered seeing "suggested" tips but couldn't find the post.  It was probably one of your posts with your "guidelines."

 

Pretend you don't understand my point (that your "guidelines" are misleading), that's fine.  Some folks are more self-aware than others.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, pcakes122 said:

Your post implies "It's up to you....but here are the guidelines."  Even the OP said they remembered seeing "suggested" tips but couldn't find the post.  It was probably one of your posts with your "guidelines."

 

Pretend you don't understand my point (that your "guidelines" are misleading), that's fine.  Some folks are more self-aware than others.

What is your point? 

 

I never asserted that that anything I said was a “guideline”. 

 

Lots of people on this post and every tipping post will say what they trip. We tip on the ranges stated. After dropping $10 for a room, a couple of gifted dollar tip is way down in the noise. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 minutes ago, BirdTravels said:

What is your point? 

You are the just about the first poster to respond to any tipping thread with a made-up set of Haven/suite tipping "guidelines".  Your post does not clearly specify this is what YOU tip.  It is structured to imply that these are general guidelines (which you know very well they are not.)  However, you continue to mislead people.

 

THAT is my point.  However, I'm done on this topic because no matter what feedback you receive from me or others, you are intent on misleading newcomers.  Nothing I have or will say is going to change that.  (PS I don't even believe that you are tipping $500 per cruise, but that's another issue.)  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 7/23/2019 at 8:51 PM, BirdTravels said:

Totally up to you. 

On 7/23/2019 at 8:51 PM, BirdTravels said:

When people ask, our response is the same

 

It’s crystal clear that this is only your practice and no official guideline is even remotely implied.

 

If someone interprets otherwise that’s their problem. It’s rather shocking that people feel the need to attack your responses which are always helpful and timely.

 

Thank you for your valuable contribution to this community.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Not in Haven but a suite (Sun) and this has been an informative thread, I took ALL suggestions of tipping as being their personal choice. Except for some banter back and forth all the recommendations are great, thanks.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Have to agree, I read Birds post to mean what they tipped, and the formula they followed.  Never took it as a guide for everyone, but how much they tipped, which is what the OP asked for. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I appreciate the banter on this topic as we were first time Haven guests back in the spring and relied on some friends who are regular Haven guests. 

 

Their advice was tip as you would anywhere else on the ship.  Our butler was non-responsive to the one issue we needed response to early in the week and that set the tone.  His tip went to our steward who was busting his ass all week.  

 

Tipped the concierge for for his help resolving an issue with our room, not because he did his job and booked our dinner reservations.  

 

I’m not sure amounts matter, ..... but next time we stay in the Haven I won’t tip specific individuals because “I’m supposed to”. 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I say tipping is personal and based upon what YOU think is service above and beyond; in this case the butler...we do not tip any butler in The Haven unless we have used their services, period.  Why would I tip someone who  never rendered any service to me?  I do tip the bartender and I do tip the Concierge for services above and beyond.  And we inevitably tip the cabin person MORE than the recommended amount unless their service has been poor.  Who wants to clean up somebody else's mess (witness some of those YouTube videos of cruise ship cabins which look like a tsunami just passed through) and if I werwe cleaning YOUR bathroom you bet I'd want a tip given some of the stuff I had to throw away.😍

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

There is no such thing as a "recommended amount" to tip.  Please tip anyone you want to tip however much you want to tip them.  What other people do is of no consequence what so ever.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Birdie And Sue said:

There is no such thing as a "recommended amount" to tip.  Please tip anyone you want to tip however much you want to tip them.  What other people do is of no consequence what so ever.

Great statement!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Well for me I do like guidelines.  My worst tipping nightmare was on my first Carnival cruise. I paid my DSC which was clearly stated as covers ALL tipping (other than optional like booze of course).  The last day, ALL DAY, the entertainment directory was touting “tip the maitre d’” and did a big thing on all he did to make the cruise special and how hard he works and how much he contributes to our overall enjoyment and how we should show our appreciation...ok...well, the DSC is supposed to cover everyone except now it’s announced that it doesn’t cover the maitre d’ in SPITE of Carnival’s print material—

 

so how much?  Well, I won’t tell you, it’s up to you.  

 

OK, is $10 insulting?  $20 insulting?  $100 too much?  We ate in specialty restaurants many of the nights, do we count those nights?  If we only ate in the MDR twice, that means we interacted with him, if at all, for 2-4 minutes total—so $5-$10/minute of interaction if we go with the lower figure?  But is that insulting?  And haven’t we already tipped?  Do you see the dilemma here?

 

So thank you all for your sharing what you do, or don’t do.  It’s nice to have a range in mind at least, so I know insulting from ridiculously overtipping....

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 hours ago, erdoran said:

Well for me I do like guidelines.  My worst tipping nightmare was on my first Carnival cruise. I paid my DSC which was clearly stated as covers ALL tipping (other than optional like booze of course).  The last day, ALL DAY, the entertainment directory was touting “tip the maitre d’” and did a big thing on all he did to make the cruise special and how hard he works and how much he contributes to our overall enjoyment and how we should show our appreciation...ok...well, the DSC is supposed to cover everyone except now it’s announced that it doesn’t cover the maitre d’ in SPITE of Carnival’s print material—

 

so how much?  Well, I won’t tell you, it’s up to you.  

 

OK, is $10 insulting?  $20 insulting?  $100 too much?  We ate in specialty restaurants many of the nights, do we count those nights?  If we only ate in the MDR twice, that means we interacted with him, if at all, for 2-4 minutes total—so $5-$10/minute of interaction if we go with the lower figure?  But is that insulting?  And haven’t we already tipped?  Do you see the dilemma here?

 

So thank you all for your sharing what you do, or don’t do.  It’s nice to have a range in mind at least, so I know insulting from ridiculously overtipping....

After 15+ cruises on Carnival (most when kids were young) a CD is just background noise, actually all cruises.  Sorry on your first cruise this happened.... honestly no amount, small or large should be anyone else's concern. If you tip $10 and think it's enough, it is. We (and most likely 2/3rds of the ship) had a horrible "3 day cruise" (20+ years ago)that nothing worked, had chicken only at night, ship broke down in Nassau and could not leave on time, etc....  the tips were almost non-existent for the crew. Cabins not made up after the first day, surly crew wandering the halls, I could go on about the Men's only beauty contest and clogged toilets..... but suffice it to say every cruise has looked good since that one!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Not to beat a dead horse, but what currency do you tip in? We’re doing a TA in the spring. Would they rather have their tip in euros or US $. I’m Canadian but I’m pretty sure they’d rather not have our $$ 🤪

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
51 minutes ago, Blueberry89 said:

Not to beat a dead horse, but what currency do you tip in? We’re doing a TA in the spring. Would they rather have their tip in euros or US $. I’m Canadian but I’m pretty sure they’d rather not have our $$ 🤪

US$ seems to be THE currency for North American cruises.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 minutes ago, graphicguy said:

US$ seems to be THE currency for North American cruises.  

 

When in Rome pay Caesar with Caesar's currency (coin - ah er Euro) - thus - pay your tips in the local negotiable.

Really in most cases the US $$$ Dollar is prime on all cruises and perhaps on par with the Euro this except in

Asian New Zealand/Australian cruises - Why fret the issue pay what you have in your pocket you don't have to

go to extraordinary steps of going to a currency exchange to resolve the problem.

One cavet if your ship makes a port call at Easter Island it is a bit tacky to tip in stone coin.

 

Don't forget that you can also tip by going to Guest Services and filling out a voucher to be paid to the crew member.

How much (percentage) of that is tendered to the crew member is unknown.

This method saves cash on hand in the pocket for other tips services and when you return back to your home port

country you don't have to find the currency exchange office for those round-to-its and odd ball octagons with holes

in the middle you have acquired.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 hours ago, Blueberry89 said:

Not to beat a dead horse, but what currency do you tip in? We’re doing a TA in the spring. Would they rather have their tip in euros or US $. I’m Canadian but I’m pretty sure they’d rather not have our $$ 🤪

 

Whatever currency I have at the time, normally $US.  I really do not think anyone is going to turn down a tip because of the currency you happen to give them.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

If I’m heading for the airport and home after debarkation, it’s a great way to use up extra local currency that I’d otherwise have to exchange and take a loss on, and assuming the crew is going to be in that region for a while, they’ll be able to spend it.  I’m sure the crew is accustomed to a variety of currencies (reasonable I mean) - on a European route I’d think Euros are fine but not Yen or Baht, for example.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 7/27/2019 at 10:16 AM, sverigecruiser said:

 

Sorry, my mistake.

 

I meant disembarkation, not embarkation.

 

Priority disembarkation doesn't need any coordination with the concierge if they just tell you where to go when you want to disembark. 

 

On 7/27/2019 at 10:16 AM, sverigecruiser said:

 

Sorry, my mistake.

 

I meant disembarkation, not embarkation.

 

Priority disembarkation doesn't need any coordination with the concierge if they just tell you where to go when you want to disembark. 

Here is the thing.  In the Haven the concierge doesn’t just tell you where to go, unless that is all you want to know.  The concierge actually invites you to assemble in the lounge and then when you are ready he escorts you down HIS elevator and you miraculously come out at the front of the disembarkation line.  Same goes for shows, tenders, exiting at ports.  We tip the Concierge more than the Butler because he can make all kinds of magic happen!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Forum Jump
    • Categories
      • Q&A: Cruise Insurance with Steve Dasseos of TripInsuranceStore.com
      • Forum Assistance
      • New Cruisers
      • Cruise Lines “A – O”
      • Cruise Lines “P – Z”
      • River Cruising
      • ROLL CALLS
      • Digital Photography & Cruise Technology
      • Member Cruise Reviews
      • Special Interest Cruising
      • Cruise Discussion Topics
      • UK Cruising
      • Australia & New Zealand Cruisers
      • North American Homeports
      • Ports of Call
      • Cruise Conversations
×
×
  • Create New...